Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ~Beanie~
    • By ~Beanie~ 6th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,897Posts
    • 2,048Thanks
    ~Beanie~
    0 WOW
    Day Trip to London
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    0 WOW
    Day Trip to London 6th Jul 17 at 11:27 AM
    I have taken advantage of the Virgin Train seat sale and booked a day trip to London. Can anyone assist with the following?

We will arrive at Euston, best way to get into central London from here? (Not sure which tube line I need etc or where to get it from)

We will probably start off in Oxford Street area for a quick mooch around the shops. Any suggestions of where to go or things to see/do that are nearby or close to get to from here? Although I love museums etc I realise that one day isn't really enough time for that so I'll save them for another trip :-) This trip will probably be more of a sightseeing one with a bit of eating and drinking thrown in.

How do I get about on the tube? Can I pay by card or do I need to buy an Oyster Card or something? How do these work and where do I get one from?

Lastly, roughly how long does it take to get back to Euston from somewhere central, I need to work out how long I need to leave to get back for the train home on time. I don't really want to be hanging round the station for an hour or running for the train!

Thanks!

Page 1
    • macman
    • By macman 6th Jul 17, 2:34 PM
    • 41,100 Posts
    • 16,850 Thanks
    macman
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:34 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:34 PM
    The tube accepts cash (more expensive), Oystercards or contactless debit cards. Buses, the latter two only-no cash fares. So in your case, contactless is best.
    Euston to Oxford Circus is just 2 stops southbound on the Victoria line: about 5 minutes. But allow longer to catch your return train, if in the rush hour: the tube can be extremely busy then.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Jul 17, 2:36 PM
    • 31,503 Posts
    • 37,205 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:36 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:36 PM
    contactless card on the tube guide

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 6th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 5,071 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    We will probably start off in Oxford Street area for a quick mooch around the shops.
    Originally posted by ~Beanie~
    Horses for courses, but if I had just one day in london I personally wouldn't spend it in Oxford Street - it's mainly the same old chain stores you see in every major city in the country but much more crowded (and with more chance of getting your pocket picked).

If you really must visit shops, go to the ones you don't find anywhere else, such as Harrods (next to Knightsbridge tube), or Fortnums and Masons and Liberty (both near Picadilly circus tube)
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 6th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,548 Thanks
    wealdroam
    We will arrive at Euston, best way to get into central London from here? (Not sure which tube line I need etc or where to get it from)
    A tube map would help.
    Try this one: London Tube Map.
    Victoria Line from Euston to Oxford Circus.

How do I get about on the tube? Can I pay by card or do I need to buy an Oyster Card or something? How do these work and where do I get one from?
    Use a contactless payment card is simplest for a one day trip. Please say if children are travelling.,

Lastly, roughly how long does it take to get back to Euston from somewhere central, I need to work out how long I need to leave to get back for the train home on time. I don't really want to be hanging round the station for an hour or running for the train!
    This wacky tube map shows journey times.
    For example, it indicates that a journey from Euston to Oxford Circus on the Northern Line takes four minutes. You need to add to that getting to the platform from the street, waiting for the train and getting out of the destination station. I allow fifteen minutes for that journey, but if you are unfamiliar with Euston Station layout you might want to allow 5/10 minutes for finding your platform/train.
    Last edited by wealdroam; 06-07-2017 at 6:15 PM.
    • ~Beanie~
    • By ~Beanie~ 6th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 2,048 Thanks
    ~Beanie~
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    Horses for courses, but if I had just one day in london I personally wouldn't spend it in Oxford Street - it's mainly the same old chain stores you see in every major city in the country but much more crowded (and with more chance of getting your pocket picked).

If you really must visit shops, go to the ones you don't find anywhere else, such as Harrods (next to Knightsbridge tube), or Fortnums and Masons and Liberty (both near Picadilly circus tube)
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    That's probably a good point - likely to be the same shops we've got in our local city centre! I like your idea better :-)

There are no children travelling, just me and my OH. Train back home is at 8pm so hopefully no rush hour at that time.

I will have a look at the links you have all provided, thanks very much.

• gonebust
    • By gonebust 6th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    gonebust
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    I too would head towards Harrods. , you could spend hours there, the food hall alone is a work of art . Grab something lovely for lunch and go eat in the park before jumping on a no 9 to trafalger square. Pictures taken, walk up either to Buck house or to Leicester Square. From Buck house it's a quick walk to HoP and Westminster bridge where you get the most beautiful view up the river. Leicester Square and you can head on to Covent Garden and St. Paul's.

Contactless card for travel on busses and tubes
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 6th Jul 17, 7:44 PM
    • 5,529 Posts
    • 5,071 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:44 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:44 PM
    That's probably a good point - likely to be the same shops we've got in our local city centre! I like your idea better :-)
    Euston and Kings Cross St Pancras are close together, so to get to Harrods by tube it would be quickest to walk from Euston to Kings Cross and then get the Piccadilly Line straight to Knightsbridge.

Also when using the tube, be aware that Euston Square station on the Circle line is also just 100 yards across the road from Euston mainline station, so is a sensible alternative to Euston if wanting to travel on the circle line.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 7th Jul 17, 10:58 AM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 6,412 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:58 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:58 AM
    When I go to London I walk everywhere. I would rather stay above ground than below it. There is an excellent site for walking London.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/walking/

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 7th Jul 17, 12:14 PM
    • 7,569 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    Stompa
    Personally I'd avoid Harrods, it's just another shop!
    Stompa
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 7th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    • 6,969 Posts
    • 5,335 Thanks
    daveyjp
    Catch the bus instead - cheaper, very regular service, you see things and you can get off early if you see something of interest.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 7th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 13,013 Posts
    • 11,082 Thanks
    paddyrg
    The bit of town between Green Park and Westminster is just glorious, you get to take in Buckingham Palace and Parliament with beautiful parkland in between including St James' Park which is like the United Nations for birds - they have pelicans on the lake and so many pretty, unusual geese etc. Then you're in the right bit of town for the South Bank and London Eye. You may like the idea of a river taxi down to Tower Bridge or further to see the O2/Millennium Dome from the water.

If you want to take in a show, look at doing a matinee at around 2pm - weekday matinees can be really cheap - like a tenner cheap - I recently went to "The Comedy About A Bank Robbery" with no expectations, and had a great time - it's in a gorgeous theatre (Criterion, right on Piccadilly Circus behind Eros), and just silly fun - from wordplay to technical staging to great timing to trousers falling down. Something for everyone and a lot of fun. There will be different matinees on different days, usually midweek though.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 7th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 16,859 Posts
    • 27,379 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    Personally I'd avoid Harrods, it's just another shop!
    Originally posted by Stompa
    If you are going shopping, it's much more unique to go down Carnaby Street, go to Libertys ect.

There's so much to do, and one day isn't enough - so pick what you really want to do. A few weeks ago my family spent a great afternoon wandering down the South Bank of the Thames; From London Bridge down to Tower Bridge and back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

930Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter