Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 6th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 2,369Posts
    • 3,374Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Smart meter questions
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    Smart meter questions 6th Jul 17 at 9:35 AM
    I'm sure these questions have been asked on here before, so my apologies - I've looked and not been able to find.

Utility Warehouse are offering us smart meters for our gas and electric free of charge. So, obviously, I'm thinking about it - what I need to know is -

At the top of their letter they say 'Your electricity and gas meters have expired'. Really? Is that even a thing? Apparently if they don't replace our meters as soon as possible, they may stop working or our service may be interrupted. I smell a rat - surely this can't actually happen??

How does the smart meter actually help you to save money? We're already good at switching lights off when the room's not in use, putting a jumper on before putting the heating on, washing at low temperatures, drying outside rather than using the tumble dryer etc etc etc. I'm struggling to see how a smart meter can help us use less. The woman I spoke to on the phone told me I'd be 'able to see how much it costs to boil the kettle' - which would be interesting, I'm sure, but a) it's not going to stop me making my morning cuppa, and b) I would only need to be told once - I'm not going to be checking my smart meter every time I brew up.

Security - if readings are being taken daily, it will become very obvious very quickly if, for example, we're not at home. There will be patterns of usage which would be very obvious. I'm guessing they really can't guarantee information like that won't be misused?

So basically I'm trying to decide whether to bite the bullet, accept that smart meters are the way forward, and get one fitted. Or put it off for as long as possible.
Page 2
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 9th Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    • 625 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    House Martin
    How can I tell if my British Gas smart meters are SMETS1 or SMETS2 meters?
    Originally posted by jelliot
    They will almost certainly be SMETS1 unless they are the latest Landis Gyr zigbee meters which operate in both SMETS1 and 2, when it eventually comes on stream
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 9th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 2,807 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    I for one would be happy for ToU tariffs to come in operation.Its not something to be scared of, especially for money savers..If I have to run my dryer/ironing/washing away from peak periods to hit the half price cheap rate after say, 10 pm, then I will go for it.
    [snip]
    Originally posted by House Martin
    In residences where neighbours can hear each others' washing machines' spin cycles, there are going to be a lot of annoyed sleep-deprived people when this comes in.
    • Melody Saeed
    • By Melody Saeed 9th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Melody Saeed
    switch suppllier
    Hi I am new to the forum,

looking to change supplier from EDF to Engi a new company I found here on the site through the energy saving comparison page.

any one has used them before.

Thanks

Melody
    • WhoIsThat
    • By WhoIsThat 9th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    WhoIsThat
    Hi I am new to the forum,

looking to change supplier from EDF to Engi a new company I found here on the site through the energy saving comparison page.

any one has used them before.

Thanks

Melody
    Originally posted by Melody Saeed
    Welcome!

If you read the thread, you will see the smart meters supplied by EDF won't work (in smart mode) if you switch supplier.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

1,525Users online

Martin's Twitter