Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmo
    • By Karmo 6th Jul 17, 6:17 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Karmo
    50,000 pounds to invest
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:17 AM
    50,000 pounds to invest 6th Jul 17 at 6:17 AM
    I was thinking about investing in a flat to rent but then I saw this
    http://www.alternativebonds.co.uk/venture/
    Is it a scam ? It does say FCA regulated . Also the airport parking deals . Does anyone have any experience with that ?
    Im looking at a medium risk investment . Perhaps I would be best with an ISA stocks and shares .
    ISAs cash pay virtually nothing these days .
    Thank you for your ideas .
Page 2
    • AndyT678
    • By AndyT678 6th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    AndyT678
    Perhaps the most difficult aspect of DIY is the actions.....or lack of them.....to take when markets are falling, that's a time when mistakes can be made.
    Originally posted by bostonerimus
    Mostly I'm in broad agreement with your point of view but I do think you're underplaying the significance of this effect...
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 6th Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    Mostly I'm in broad agreement with your point of view but I do think you're underplaying the significance of this effect...
    Originally posted by AndyT678
    I agree that what you do in a falling market is very important. I've been ok through a couple of crashes and several corrections by simply rebalancing.....2007 took some guts. By keeping to my plan I've managed to average 8% annual return over the last 30 years. If I can do it then so can most other people.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • A_T
    • By A_T 6th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    A_T
    I'm in the US and have the following portfolio

50% Vanguard Total US stock index
    20% Vanguard Total International Stock Index
    30% Vanguard Total Bond Index

total average fees/expenses are 0.06%

The OP could simply use VLS80 or VLS60 etc or go with a combination of a Global Tracker, a Global Bond index and maybe a UK equity tracker if they have a domestic bias etc. Those could be easily purchased directly from UK Vanguard or through another platform if you want. There are also lots of other trackers you could equally well use like those from Blackrock. Don't make this more expensive or difficult than it needs to be.
    Vanguard UK charges a base fee of 0.15 with a fund charge on top of 0.22 for the Lifestrategy funds
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 6th Jul 17, 9:55 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    Vanguard UK charges a base fee of 0.15 with a fund charge on top of 0.22 for the Lifestrategy funds
    Originally posted by A_T
    Yes I know......I'm in the US and US Vanguard has no transaction fees for it's own funds and many fund fees <0.1%. My Total US Stock market Index has a fee of 0.04%. The costs in the UK are higher.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • Karmo
    • By Karmo 7th Jul 17, 4:00 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Karmo
    Thanks a lot . I have read everything carefully and now I really havent got a clue . Never invested in stocks before . Thanks for the heads up on those dodgy get rich quick scams . Are there not laws in the UK to protect people against those thieves ? Now Im concerned because the online money currency transfer company I was going to use are FCA registered HIFX but you say that doesnt mean anything .
    Some are saying I was right to go for an S and S ISA and it certainly seems a lot less hassle than buying and renting out a flat .
    • badger09
    • By badger09 7th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    • 5,079 Posts
    • 4,276 Thanks
    badger09
    You cannot pay any new money into an S&S (or any other sort of) ISA if you are not resident in UK for tax purposes.

Whether you are, or are not resident in UK for tax purposes is not a matter of your choice. It is a question of fact.

I posted the relevant link to HMRC website in your other thread.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 7th Jul 17, 11:54 PM
    • 3,075 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    I agree that what you do in a falling market is very important. I've been ok through a couple of crashes and several corrections by simply rebalancing.....2007 took some guts.
    Strange. I've been told consistently that DIY investing is easy.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,026Posts Today

8,874Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin