Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davidwiggins01
    • By davidwiggins01 6th Jul 17, 5:45 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    davidwiggins01
    Combi installed, shower now broken/leaking
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:45 AM
    Combi installed, shower now broken/leaking 6th Jul 17 at 5:45 AM
    After some quick opinions. We are having a loft conversion done soon and the loft company have sent round a sub contractor to remove our old standard boiler and replace it with a combi. The combi went in yesterday and the plumber confirmed all checks had been done and all ok, and that he's be back today to finish up (tidying hole for new flue, tidying unnecessary cables in airing cupboard, doing the paperwork etc).

Last night my wife was giving out daughter a shower whilst I was outside - when I came in there was a shower of water running from the light fitting and smoke alarm, and down the wall of the hallway (which is under our bathroom). A small bit of investigation suggests the shower is now broken and leaking badly when in use. Spoke to the plumber who has suggested the new pressure to the shower from the combi has knackered it.

The shower unit itself is concealed behind the tiles in the bathroom, over the bath. Assuming these all have to come off, the shower be replaced, the bathroom retiled, hallway ceiling sorted etc etc - should I be expecting the loft company to foot the bill for this? Should they have ensured all taps/showers etc were working find before leaving yesterday? Or is this just one of those things I'm going to end up paying for?

Just wanted to sense check my feelings before I see the plumber again this morning.

TIA
Page 1
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 6th Jul 17, 7:07 AM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    Ruski
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:07 AM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:07 AM
    The possibility of this happening should have been pointed out to you as part of the initial consultation, as well as the possibility that the same may happen on your existing CH system - as you are going from pumped to pressurised system.

Even if it wasn't pointed out as a possibility, sadly the work to correct any faults would have to happen regardless, it's not for the CH engineer to put right all faults that may have 'sprung up' as part of the switchover. IMHO.

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • adandem
    • By adandem 6th Jul 17, 7:12 AM
    • 3,410 Posts
    • 4,623 Thanks
    adandem
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:12 AM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:12 AM
    We were warned that our combi might cause problems like this. We were told it's because the current pipework might not take the extra water pressure.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 6th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 3,018 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    I guessing the shower is only suitable for low pressure, unless the shower model is known it might not have been known it could be a problem, that of course assumes that it is the shower that's leaking & not pipe work or fittings
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 7th Jul 17, 12:04 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 1,926 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:04 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:04 PM
    I had a combi fitted in 2007 - no problems. In 2015 the water pressure knob control on the shower failed. Replaced it with a new panel power-shower, fitted in July. Shortly afterwards noticed the wallpaper in the kitchen getting discoloured - ended up with finding water coming through the ceiling at 1030pm!
    It seems the compression joints failed. To repair/replace a section of the thin wall in the adjoining bedroom was cut out - fortunately restoration covered by the insurance.

So, advice - check your Building Insurance Policy details.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

858Posts Today

7,193Users online

Martin's Twitter