Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bookworm63
    • By Bookworm63 6th Jul 17, 1:45 AM
    • 1,066Posts
    • 15,637Thanks
    Bookworm63
    Can anyone help with Howdens costing please?
    • 6th Jul 17, 1:45 AM
    Can anyone help with Howdens costing please? 6th Jul 17 at 1:45 AM
    We are looking to buy a few units for a utility room from Howdens.

We need a 1000 sink unit, a square stainless steel sink without drainer with basic mixer tap, a 400 base unit and two 1000 extra tall wall units (plus base boards and minimal blanking).

Our builder has given us a quote excluding fitting (to be advised) for £2250 for the Glendevon range! - As far as I'm aware worktops have not been included as we were planning on getting them elsewhere.

I have to admit this has come as quite a shock for such a small number of units! We haven't looked elsewhere at the moment but think we probably need to! Any advice on which other companies supply ready made cabinets for comparison which we can approach direct?

Can anyone in the know advise on normal pricing please? And on fitting costs to expect for these too! No cupboards to come out, pipework is already in the area so sink only needs plumbing from the pipes at the bottom of the wall to the sink itself and a waste pipe will need to go through the wall into the existing waste in the next room.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give
Page 1
    • SWMBO
    • By SWMBO 6th Jul 17, 7:28 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    SWMBO
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:28 AM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:28 AM
    http://www.diy-kitchens.com/kitchen-units/base/ have all their prices online, so you can easily work out for yourself exactly what they'd cost for your units.
    • cddc
    • By cddc 6th Jul 17, 8:16 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    cddc
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:16 AM
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:16 AM
    There is no such thing as normal Howdens pricing. Copious threads on the subject on here.

That price is extracting the urine though. Big time. Reckon that lot should be less than a grand, easily.
    • Private Church
    • By Private Church 6th Jul 17, 9:44 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    Private Church
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:44 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:44 PM
    Agree with cddc that should cost sub £1k and I would also recommend DIY-Kitchens online too. I've fitted a few of their kitchens and they are better quality than Howdens etc and cheaper too.........Fitting the units you posted including worktops etc is no more than 1-1.5days work at the most so expect to pay between £150-200 a day for fitting. Alarm bells should be ringing and if they are willing to overcharge on this small job I hope they aren't doing a full renovation job on your house.

I think your builder is ripping you off. We are all out there to make money but to be charging that price for so few units its verging on criminal. Are they any different than those rip off merchants we see on BBC watchdog etc?.......
    Last edited by Private Church; 06-07-2017 at 9:50 PM.
    "If we in Parliament cannot gain personally then there is very little point in us being here"

: Lord Manchester addressing Parliament around 1649.......
    • Tyler119
    • By Tyler119 6th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Tyler119
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    Howdens make up a base price and are like, here is a 75% discount....when you deduct the discount, ask why the original price was £2 million
    • Bookworm63
    • By Bookworm63 7th Jul 17, 12:16 AM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 15,637 Thanks
    Bookworm63
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:16 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:16 AM
    Thanks for your replies - I spoke to the builder earlier about getting a comparison quote from Benchmarx and he said he would go and get one for us, but came back with a slightly higher quote

The utility room is the forerunner to a full kitchen refit (min 12 base units, an appliance housing for integral dishwasher and 6 full height units, and possibly some wall units) with some structural work too so I'm now wondering if we can actually afford to do what we had planned :/

I'm not going to have much time now until Sunday but will have a look at DIY kitchens then and see how they compare.

Thanks to all who offered an opinion
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 7th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 974 Posts
    • 714 Thanks
    tonyh66
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    come back and tell us how much it is from DIY kitchens
    • cddc
    • By cddc 7th Jul 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    cddc
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:13 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:13 AM
    Quire frankly your builder is taking you for a ride and taking a fat cut on the supply of this. Wickes do the same units as Benchmarx supplied flat pack rather than pre built. Take his Benchmarx quote to Wickes and see what they come up with.

I bet it is an awful lot less......
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 23,439 Posts
    • 65,495 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    Agree with cddc.

At an educated guess, I had £7-800 in my head.

Benchmarx are cheaper than Howdens, in my experience.

You'll be able to afford your work if you find someone else to do it
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • henry24
    • By henry24 7th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    henry24
    Howdens say they are trade only but if you go and ask for a price they will give one, the more they sell the better the store bonus.
    • Bookworm63
    • By Bookworm63 10th Jul 17, 2:13 AM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 15,637 Thanks
    Bookworm63
    OK done some homework now - it was a bit of a learning curve!

DIY Kitchens came out at £1037 for the cabinets or £1210 including the sink, tap and handles, which is a considerable saving. Still not sure what exactly was included in the original quote though.

We were away at the weekend so unable to go back to Howdens but will go back in tomorrow and see what I can do - does anyone know if they are they likely to pricematch DIY Kitchens please?
    • Furts
    • By Furts 10th Jul 17, 6:10 AM
    • 3,319 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    Furts
    They will negotiate with you, particularly if they know you want more units in the near future. Opening an account will also get them eager because they will be thinking of your future kitchen.

To give an anecodatal story on Howdens ... a couple of years ago I wanted a kitchen for our house so wandered into Howdens to weigh up the branch. The response was "have you been anywhere else?" "Of course I have". "OK, how about 80+% discount off list" came the reply. Just like you, I had no account with Howdens - I was purely a stranger wandering in off the street.
    • beaker141
    • By beaker141 10th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    beaker141

We were away at the weekend so unable to go back to Howdens but will go back in tomorrow and see what I can do - does anyone know if they are they likely to pricematch DIY Kitchens please?
    Originally posted by Bookworm63
    This is the answer I got from Howdens sales rep I was dealing with in 2014

"As promised I have spoken to my manager about your kitchen and unfortunately we can get no where near the DIY kitchens price. Although we accept your assertion that they are comparable in quality, because they are internet based we cannot compete."
    • Bookworm63
    • By Bookworm63 10th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 15,637 Thanks
    Bookworm63
    Just been back in to Howdens and managed to get them down to £1330 incl VAT for all cabinets and related extras, extra if we want their sink, tap and handles. Also revised the plan for the main kitchen to reduce costs and now awaiting their quote for this. Much happier with this considering we are ready to go with the utility and could get it delivered in days rather than weeks!

I'm starting to feel more positive now that we can proceed with the whole thing

Thanks to all who offered opinions - it's our first time doing anything like this so it's much appreciated
    • Furts
    • By Furts 10th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 3,319 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    Furts
    Is the price direct through Howdens, or will it be placed through a builder - which implies a mark up?

An ideal scenario would be to screw down the price from Howdens and get an introduction to one of the better fitters that they will know of. The fitters will not be getting their mark up on the kitchen but may still be happy to negotiate with you on the installation price.
    • Bookworm63
    • By Bookworm63 10th Jul 17, 5:43 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 15,637 Thanks
    Bookworm63
    Is the price direct through Howdens, or will it be placed through a builder - which implies a mark up?

An ideal scenario would be to screw down the price from Howdens and get an introduction to one of the better fitters that they will know of. The fitters will not be getting their mark up on the kitchen but may still be happy to negotiate with you on the installation price.
    Originally posted by Furts
    This time I got an itemised estimate from Howdens so I know how much they've charged for each item, though it's still coming through the builder as customer. The builder has already done some of the structural work involved and we are very happy quality wise so we're not looking to change, but thanks for the suggestion.
    • jackgordon
    • By jackgordon 11th Jul 17, 2:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jackgordon
    Just so you know even if you get an clear breakdown quote from howdens it still may not be accurate as they have a special system whereby they add 10-20% on to the quote so that the builder can show this to you - the excess money you pay howdens then gets credited onto the builders account.

this in addition the 10-20% commission your builder will want from you for purchasing the kitchen
    • fezster
    • By fezster 11th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    fezster
    This time I got an itemised estimate from Howdens so I know how much they've charged for each item, though it's still coming through the builder as customer. The builder has already done some of the structural work involved and we are very happy quality wise so we're not looking to change, but thanks for the suggestion.
    Originally posted by Bookworm63
    What discount are Howden's giving you? You should aim for 70 - 80%. Remember an 80% discount means the item is 2/3rds the price of a 70% discount (i.e. 50% less!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

425Posts Today

4,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin