Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TrickyWicky
    • By TrickyWicky 5th Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    • 3,862Posts
    • 3,225Thanks
    TrickyWicky
    Customer returning.. about to be scammed. Help!
    • 5th Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    Customer returning.. about to be scammed. Help! 5th Jul 17 at 11:04 PM
    Hi guys!

I sold an original product online recently (along with several others) which all came direct from the staff shop at the UK factory. Naturally being desperate to get my money back i listed it at the lowest price on ebay.. i'm starting to wonder if thats encouraging the not so honest buyers..

It's been sat at the sorting office for days due to a failed delivery but today i get a message from the buyer saying he's picked it up today and instantly recognised it as counterfeit. He also continues that he's been using it for many years and is qualified to know the difference because of this.

I know its genuine - I bought it from the staff shop myself at the factory when i was working there! Somehow I doubt they are counterfeiting their own products.

eBay helpfully give just four options for dealing with returns - accept, refund & keep, partial or send a message. Naturally i've done the message and explained all this - and the fact that i'm a private seller not a company but ultimately i've had to accept the return and agree to pay the return postage.

I'm seriously disgruntled over it and suspect i'm being scammed with some junk being sent back..

What can I do here?
Page 1
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 6th Jul 17, 5:16 AM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 3,762 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:16 AM
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:16 AM
    I'd wait and see what you get back before worrying. There is not much you can do till then. You may well get your item back. The buyer may have changed their mind and claimed it was fake to force a return
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 6th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 15,252 Posts
    • 20,755 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 6th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    Can you upload the receipt or proof of purchase to show the buyer it is genuine?

Just ask them to return it, and tell them you will refund once you have established that the same item has been returned.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 6th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 6th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    Why have you had to accept a return if the item is genuine? Have you spoken to ebay's CS team and explained you worked at the factory making these?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 6th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 6th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    Why have you had to accept a return if the item is genuine? Have you spoken to ebay's CS team and explained you worked at the factory making these?
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    Ebay will not be interested unless the seller can revoke the claim. As per pinkshoes post, the receipt is the obvious one.
    • BJV
    • By BJV 6th Jul 17, 2:00 PM
    • 2,246 Posts
    • 3,363 Thanks
    BJV
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:00 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:00 PM
    MMM we sold an iphone once. It worked and was perfect condition. I know because it was mine. Sold it and then two days later got told it was a fake. We got it back, well we got something back it certainly was not the phone we had sent.

Ebay and paypal can be nightmares but Tell them show them the proof. It will then be on the buyer to prove you wrong????? I think????
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
    • TrickyWicky
    • By TrickyWicky 8th Jul 17, 11:59 PM
    • 3,862 Posts
    • 3,225 Thanks
    TrickyWicky
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:59 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:59 PM
    Hi guys,

Problem is that before sending i didn't bother testing it or putting any secret marks on it etc and thus can't prove the difference.

All I could do was take the return. The item is back here now and admittedly it is different to the others i had smell wise (it's a male fragrance) however none of the others were like this.

The weird thing is that i can't really see it being a massive money spinner for the buyer - it cost £3, postage £3.90, ebay and paypal... effectively i probably made £2 on it - if that. I can't really see the point of the buyer sending back a fake that would have cost them more than £2 to obtain... - unless they bought it, realised they'd got stung and just decided to trade it at my expense?

Anyway i've had to refund them, diddly squat i could really do is there. I do have receipts but like i stand a hope in hell of convincing ebay to accept that.
    • Lisbon
    • By Lisbon 9th Jul 17, 12:46 AM
    • 303 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    Lisbon
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:46 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:46 AM
    Perhaps the time to produce the receipts was when the buyer first complained - and if that didn't work, wouldn't it have made more sense to refund and tell him to keep the item, saving yourself the cost of return postage?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jul 17, 6:24 AM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:24 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:24 AM
    Hi guys,

Problem is that before sending i didn't bother testing it or putting any secret marks on it etc and thus can't prove the difference.

All I could do was take the return. The item is back here now and admittedly it is different to the others i had smell wise (it's a male fragrance) however none of the others were like this.

The weird thing is that i can't really see it being a massive money spinner for the buyer - it cost £3, postage £3.90, ebay and paypal... effectively i probably made £2 on it - if that. I can't really see the point of the buyer sending back a fake that would have cost them more than £2 to obtain... - unless they bought it, realised they'd got stung and just decided to trade it at my expense?

Anyway i've had to refund them, diddly squat i could really do is there. I do have receipts but like i stand a hope in hell of convincing ebay to accept that.
    Originally posted by TrickyWicky
    No, the problem was you didn't counter the claim with your original receipt. This may have been enough. However, as you didn't you had to accept the return. But like the comment above, for that amount I would not have had the item back. Business is business and I would not pay for a return on a £3 item as it isn't cost effective.
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 9th Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Marcon
    I wouldn't have wasted time posting a panic message about such a tiny amount. I'd assumed we were talking hundreds of pounds, not a could of quid.
    • Irn-Bru-Kid
    • By Irn-Bru-Kid 9th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    Irn-Bru-Kid
    Some people who sell on ebay actually have REAL problems with buyers.

I find it extraordinary that you would waste peoples time on this forum for the sake of a few quid.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 10th Jul 17, 9:04 AM
    • 15,356 Posts
    • 11,186 Thanks
    hollydays
    The issue is that the buyer has questioned the provenance of the item, that's always a slight worry. The real worry would be if the buyer was allowed to leave negative saying it's fake, which would cast suspicions on the rest of the ops sales. The buyer won't be able to do that so no worries here.
    The buyer is worrying too much. If necessary video the opening of the parcel on the doorstep or At the post office
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Jul 17, 9:09 AM
    • 59,297 Posts
    • 42,027 Thanks
    soolin
    The issue is that the buyer has questioned the provenance of the item, that's always a slight worry. The real worry would be if the buyer was allowed to leave negative saying it's fake, which would cast suspicions on the rest of the ops sales. The buyer won't be able to do that so no worries here.
    The buyer is worrying too much. If necessary video the opening of the parcel on the doorstep or At the post office
    Originally posted by hollydays
    Videoing for a court case I assume, but on a £2 item?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 10th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    angryparcel
    OP i would now be blocking that buyer, so they cannot bid or buy anymore of your products
    • Pun
    • By Pun 10th Jul 17, 9:49 AM
    • 502 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    Pun
    Originally posted by hollydays

Why can't the buyer leave feedback saying it's a fake? I didn't think that accepting a return/refunding prevented the buyer from leaving feedback, so perhaps a more experienced user could please clarify? Many thanks!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    • 59,297 Posts
    • 42,027 Thanks
    soolin
    Why can't the buyer leave feedback saying it's a fake? I didn't think that accepting a return/refunding prevented the buyer from leaving feedback, so perhaps a more experienced user could please clarify? Many thanks!
    Originally posted by Pun
    I missed that bit- yep, I can see no reason at all why buyer wouldn't be able to leave feedback.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Pun
    • By Pun 10th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    • 502 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    Pun
    I missed that bit- yep, I can see no reason at all why buyer wouldn't be able to leave feedback.
    Originally posted by soolin
    The fount of all knowledge...thank you!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

270Posts Today

1,861Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin