Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Memetimms5
    • By Memetimms5 5th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 95Thanks
    Memetimms5
    Twitter account locked
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    Twitter account locked 5th Jul 17 at 10:01 PM
    Has anyone else had there twitter account locked? I'm guessing it's down to all the comps I've entered.
    I had to accept a call to allow me enter in a pin to unlock my account. But I may be charged!!
Page 3
    • toniq
    • By toniq 9th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 27,849 Posts
    • 568,510 Thanks
    toniq
    The few people that I knew were tweet filtered are all showing now, but people that are search filtered aren't.

Tweet filtered = comments not showing to others under posts and no notification when you comment. Previous experience shows it can come and go so break up your activity to try and avoid it reappearing.

Search filtered = When your name is searched nothing shows bar other peoples replies or comments to you. Only an issue in hashtag comps other than that it means nowt. Used to last 24hrs or so till you triggered it again by heavy usage but now seems to be many days.

If you comment on a low entry comp, copy the url and look at it under private browsing to see if it shows, if it shows you are fine and tweet filter free.

Your comments will always show when you look at them from your own acct.

x
    Last edited by toniq; 09-07-2017 at 1:56 PM.
    HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY!

• hdh74
    • By hdh74 9th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 55,208 Thanks
    hdh74
    If I'm getting notifications that people are responding to my comments does that mean I'm ok? Saves having to keep checking if so..
    • toniq
    • By toniq 9th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    • 27,849 Posts
    • 568,510 Thanks
    toniq
    If I'm getting notifications that people are responding to my comments does that mean I'm ok? Saves having to keep checking if so..
    Originally posted by hdh74

That should be a good indication that your twitter is running okay.

x
    HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY!

• tghe-retford
    • By tghe-retford 9th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 3,906 Thanks
    tghe-retford
    we are not being "shadowbanned" I doubt this even exists outside of crazy conspiracy theories. if they want to ban accounts they will see @nero. (side note, horrible man).

there has been several twitter updates lately and I believe they were targeting the use of outside apps to post tweets and follow. a lot of bots will use these but unfortunately Rafflecoptor and Gleam have been also hit.
    to counter they filter you out of everyone elses notifications meaning they don't see if you mention or retweet them. thus less spam for everyone.
    the only solution is to keep complaining! the more people who shout hey I'm not spam the more they will have to rethink.
    Originally posted by bubblebobble23
    You do know many forums use shadowbanning, including the biggest discussion forum, Reddit, as an alternative to banning people, which only encourages that person who is banned from creating sock-puppet accounts to continue causing trouble? A shadowban's purpose is to make that individual invisible to others whilst making that individual bored and close their account.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/16/14635030/twitter-shadow-ban-moderation

The concept of shadowbanning as a "crazy conspiracy theory" by alt/far-right white supremacist and hateful bigots is a complete dismissal and denial of reality as well as a gross mischaracterisation of anyone who uses that term in the most disparaging of ways.
    • bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 9th Jul 17, 6:59 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 31,952 Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    I can see why you may have been shadow banned.
    However I can see you just wanted to bring it up somewhere you haven't been banned from.
    It is not happening here, why don't you make another throw away and go rant on reddit.
    this is a compers forum and clearly the issue is accounts are being filtered from notifications and searches.
    the reasons are using outside applications such as gleam or Rafflecoptor or over use of the same action.
    nobody needs to worry it only lasts a few days! just mix up your actions and do things in spurts at different times.
    • sammi86
    • By sammi86 11th Jul 17, 9:21 AM
    • 322 Posts
    • 3,643 Thanks
    sammi86
    Not sure if this is related but i came across this just for the first time.

I clicked on a competition tweet to go to the promoters page and saw this:

https://twitter.com/1stopshopnetwor

Caution: This account is temporarily restricted
    You’re seeing this warning because there has been some unusual activity from this account. Do you still want to view it?
    If you click yes, their account shows but when i search for their username only tweets to them show up, none of their own tweets show
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 11th Jul 17, 1:20 PM
    • 4,060 Posts
    • 148,869 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    However I can see you just wanted to bring it up somewhere you haven't been banned from.
    It is not happening here, why don't you make another throw away and go rant on reddit.
    this is a compers forum and clearly the issue is accounts are being filtered from notifications and searches.
    the reasons are using outside applications such as gleam or Rafflecoptor or over use of the same action.
    nobody needs to worry it only lasts a few days! just mix up your actions and do things in spurts at different times.

I thought the reply from tghe-retford was very helpful. I didn't see it as a rant at all. It was something I had not heard of previously, so I found it interesting.

• ANGELWINGS
    • By ANGELWINGS 12th Jul 17, 3:38 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 10,723 Thanks
    ANGELWINGS
    Anyone had/ got a problem commenting on tweets today? Mine are all greyed out and won't let me type anything.
    Never had this before.
    Any thoughts?
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 14th Jul 17, 10:56 AM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 55,208 Thanks
    hdh74
    Mmm, I was getting away with this until the curse of the friday comps just got me locked out. They did let me choose change password via e-mail though and it was quick to fix. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again today eek
    • Pinkzie
    • By Pinkzie 14th Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    Pinkzie
    Mmm, I was getting away with this until the curse of the friday comps just got me locked out. They did let me choose change password via e-mail though and it was quick to fix. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again today eek
    Originally posted by hdh74

Exact same just happened to me!
    • andrew.77
    • By andrew.77 21st Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    andrew.77
    This has happened to me today and I only starting comping yesterday! I've entered my phone number to try and confirm my identify, but they never even call me! what's the solution? multiple twitter accounts and try and remember to cycle round them?
    • andrew.77
    • By andrew.77 24th Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    andrew.77
    Well I've left it over the weekend and Twitter still won't call me on my mobile to unlock my account, and I can't give out the home number.

Does anyone know of a free virtual number service? I know there are email services where you can setup a temporary account which is then destroyed when you have what you need, a similar service for the telephone would be very useful! I guess the service would make money by having your mobile number and sending you occasional ads, which I could live with.

EDIT: Doh! I should have Googled FIRST lol - smsreceivefree.com
    Last edited by andrew.77; 24-07-2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Update
    • ChamomileTao
    • By ChamomileTao 24th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    ChamomileTao
    Just message them, mine was unlocked in half an hour

https://support.twitter.com/articles/20171312
    Last edited by ChamomileTao; 24-07-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    • serenity2012
    • By serenity2012 5th Sep 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,646 Posts
    • 93,884 Thanks
    serenity2012
    Absolutely ridiculous response. The person did nothing to merit this answer. Shadowbanning means that although it all looks normal from your side. All your retweets, likes and replies to comp posts there are not seen by the comp runner so it is a waste of time to enter any of them. It absolutely affects compers. And it has lasted months and ongoing for a lot of people.

Check your name here:

http://shadownban-checker.xho.bedita.net/
    August-September 2017: Lots of stuff
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,689Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin