Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Memetimms5
    • By Memetimms5 5th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 58Thanks
    Memetimms5
    Twitter account locked
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    Twitter account locked 5th Jul 17 at 10:01 PM
    Has anyone else had there twitter account locked? I'm guessing it's down to all the comps I've entered.
    I had to accept a call to allow me enter in a pin to unlock my account. But I may be charged!!
Page 2
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 7th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 82,394 Thanks
    Blulu
    Comping today is horrible. With each Friday tweet and each Rafflecopter daily entry, I'm paranoid that my account will be locked. So I'm entering fewer twitter comps. Also, I'm tinkering with my daily entries, so that they're worded slightly differently to yesterday's tweet. And I've paused halfway through my dailies, in case leaving it an hour or so will stop them locking me out again.

I've also checked on my Twitter feed and a tweet for one comp isn't showing.

I've tweeted Twitter asking why they are suddenly locking accounts for tweeting daily competition entries. If you want to do the same, they're at @Twitter

Blu X
    I remind myself every morning: Nothing I say this day will teach me anything. So if I'm going to learn, I must do it by listening - Larry King
    • toniq
    • By toniq 7th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 27,824 Posts
    • 568,170 Thanks
    toniq
    Your problem is the same as what a lot of us had before with twitter, you need to break up your actions, don't do tons from the gleam or rafflecopter in one go, break up the actions.

I had the filter for 9 months and to get around it I rt, faved and commented something slightly different on each comp.

It isn't always because your are tweeting the same tweet it is often the platform you are doing on it that is causing the issue, hence twitaculous has random smileys inserted into each tweet it lets you enter.

Tweeting twitter does niche as twitter doesn't respond and the forms don't cover the situation. The @Support is meant to help but doesn't.

Wait for your filter to lift, once it lifts break the actions up and check either under private browsing to see if your comment shows or by tweeting a friend to see if they get a notification.

However saying all that your bog standard RT will still show to companies just not your comments.

Above is my view from using twitter heavy in the last few years and coming across this quite often.
    Last edited by toniq; 07-07-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY!

• Blulu
    • By Blulu 7th Jul 17, 12:10 PM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 82,394 Thanks
    Blulu
    Thanks Toni, you lovely lass

I don't even know if I am under a filter. But I will follow your advice anyway. It's so annoying though. They either should or shouldn't allow daily comp entries. If they don't want to, then they should set something up to stop comp hosts from running it that way, rather than penalising us for entering.

Blu X
    I remind myself every morning: Nothing I say this day will teach me anything. So if I'm going to learn, I must do it by listening - Larry King
    • toniq
    • By toniq 7th Jul 17, 12:12 PM
    • 27,824 Posts
    • 568,170 Thanks
    toniq
    Tweet me and I'll check for you x
    HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY!

• Abominus
    • By Abominus 7th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 3,313 Thanks
    Abominus
    Think i'll give the Raff/Gleam a miss for a bit, not as if i'm winning much on them anyway. Pretty sure i was filtered yesterday, but my tweets still showed up on a search for my Twitter handle. Usually get a few likes and/or retweets now and again but yesterday .... nothing. Now i'm paranoid i might still be filtered and if i go ham on the tweets i'll be locked out again.

Bah, you suck Twitter!

If i am filtered how do i get rid of it? Just wait it out?
    Last edited by Abominus; 07-07-2017 at 1:02 PM.
    • kevinb1967
    • By kevinb1967 7th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    kevinb1967
    I've been locked out several times this week. I don't do RC or Gleam but I do use Twitaculous. Not getting many notifications either.
    Thank you to those who post the comps on here
    • bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 7th Jul 17, 8:20 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 31,633 Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    contact them!!!
    here is the link to contact twitter. tell them you are not showing in notifications for no good reason!

https://support.twitter.com/forms/feature_report?feature=search

keep doing it!
    if lots of people with the same issue contact them they will be forced to change their software etc
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 7th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 1,974 Posts
    • 16,402 Thanks
    Blueyez
    I can no longer 'like' tweets.
    • Yatota74
    • By Yatota74 7th Jul 17, 10:13 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    Yatota74
    What does filtered mean and how could I tell I'am filtered. I have re-tweeted freebiefridays today and entered a few raffs/gleam. It all seemed to work as usual.
    • tghe-retford
    • By tghe-retford 8th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 3,891 Thanks
    tghe-retford
    By "filtered" I think people may mean "shadowbanned". This has happened to me repeatedly, not for comping but for what I suspect is me having the wrong political opinion. Others including classical liberals, right wing commentators and libertarians have also reported being shadowbanned. It's primarily used to deal with spam but is also being used to deal with the aforementioned individuals in the hope these accounts will get bored and close their accounts voluntarily. Twitter's official line is that shadowbanning does not exist and has never been implemented but it seems odd that so many people report the same issue. Seems now they're also targeting compers under the guise of ridding the site of spam.

To tell if you are shadowbanned, go onto Twitter using your browsers incognito mode or private browsing feature (you can also log off) and search using the following:

"from:yourtwitterhandle"

Obviously, change 'yourtwitterhandle' with your twitter handle (a.k.a. username you use to log in - the bit after the @ symbol).

If you see no results, you are shadowbanned.
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 8th Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 8,870 Posts
    • 307,965 Thanks
    BlueBella
    By "filtered" I think people may mean "shadowbanned". This has happened to me repeatedly, not for comping but for what I suspect is me having the wrong political opinion. Others including classical liberals, right wing commentators and libertarians have also reported being shadowbanned. It's primarily used to deal with spam but is also being used to deal with the aforementioned individuals in the hope these accounts will get bored and close their accounts voluntarily. Twitter's official line is that shadowbanning does not exist and has never been implemented but it seems odd that so many people report the same issue. Seems now they're also targeting compers under the guise of ridding the site of spam.

To tell if you are shadowbanned, go onto Twitter using your browsers incognito mode or private browsing feature (you can also log off) and search using the following:

"from:yourtwitterhandle"

Obviously, change 'yourtwitterhandle' with your twitter handle (a.k.a. username you use to log in - the bit after the @ symbol).

If you see no results, you are shadowbanned.
    Originally posted by tghe-retford
    Thanks for the info tghe-retford If you discover that you are shadowbanned then do you know how to become un-shadowbanned?
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 8th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    • 8,870 Posts
    • 307,965 Thanks
    BlueBella
    I used this link to check my twitter acc: http://shadownban-checker.xho.bedita.net/

Result
    no tweets made by @mytwitterhandle were found
    no reply tweets made by @mytwitterhandle were found
    Apparently @mytwitterhandle is shadowbanned.
    First make sure the user exists, then you may also visit this link to a search on Twitter. If you can't see any tweet made by @mytwitterhandle, this user is most likely shadowbanned. ..... so I checked and I could see my tweets??? So maybe I am not shadowbanned???
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 8th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 31,633 Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    we are not being "shadowbanned" I doubt this even exists outside of crazy conspiracy theories. if they want to ban accounts they will see @nero. (side note, horrible man).

there has been several twitter updates lately and I believe they were targeting the use of outside apps to post tweets and follow. a lot of bots will use these but unfortunately Rafflecoptor and Gleam have been also hit.
    to counter they filter you out of everyone elses notifications meaning they don't see if you mention or retweet them. thus less spam for everyone.
    the only solution is to keep complaining! the more people who shout hey I'm not spam the more they will have to rethink.
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 8th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    • 3,940 Posts
    • 143,899 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    I used this link to check my twitter acc: http://shadownban-checker.xho.bedita.net/

Result
    First make sure the user exists, then you may also visit this link to a search on Twitter. If you can't see any tweet made by @mytwitterhandle, this user is most likely shadowbanned. ..... so I checked and I could see my tweets??? So maybe I am not shadowbanned???
    Originally posted by BlueBella
    I just tried and got exactly the same. I don't understand how if I am shadowbanned, people have liked my tweets or retweeted my retweets. Surely they couldn't do this if they cannot see them.

• 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 8th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 2,059 Posts
    • 36,974 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse

Result
    Originally posted by BlueBella
    I tried my twitter and a couple of friends.

Results:

NOT shadowbanned (and tweets show up when searching from:yourtwitterhandle)
    Me - I have only won on twitter twice in 3 years
    Friend 1 - won once in 1 year
    Friend 2 - won nothing in 6 months

shadowbanned (and tweets do not show up when searching from:yourtwitterhandle)
    Friend 3 - really lucky on twitter, has won several times per month for last 6 months

Seems to be the opposite of what you'd expect for mainly comping accounts who enter a similar amount of comps on a daily basis? So doesn't seem to affect comping?
    Last edited by 2013yearofthehouse; 08-07-2017 at 9:44 PM.
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 8th Jul 17, 9:53 PM
    • 3,940 Posts
    • 143,899 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    So does this shadowbanning (if it exists) come and go? If I were to lay off twitter for a bit apart from the odd tweet, would my account behave normally?

• ikkle87
    • By ikkle87 8th Jul 17, 10:53 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 176,236 Thanks
    ikkle87
    I really wouldn't worry too much, I've been filtered for two years now I think it is (mainly as I used to use twitaculous I believe) and it hasn't affected my wins. Only thing with filtered is searching your username you don't come up but promoters wouldn't be searching your username to pick winners they'd be searching hashtags etc.

I'd still avoid twitaculous though especially now there is the locking accounts issue.
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 9th Jul 17, 7:55 AM
    • 3,940 Posts
    • 143,899 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    Yesterday as an experiment I tweeted a random made up hashtag that nobody else would use. This does not show up when I search not logged in to twitter in an incognito window, but it does show up when I search for it logged in on a normal window. I think I am going to cut right back on twitter comps.

• hdh74
    • By hdh74 9th Jul 17, 8:00 AM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 54,568 Thanks
    hdh74
    To be honest the twitter search thing seems to be rubbish anyway. I use it to search for wins and it doesn't find ones I know I've had. And using the advanced search and the normal search brings up different results for all sorts of searches.
    • Juzza12
    • By Juzza12 9th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 537 Posts
    • 5,827 Thanks
    Juzza12
    People still see your tweets, I just think it's a case of no one getting notifications from you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

471Posts Today

5,131Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin