Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LL1345
    • By LL1345 5th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 3Thanks
    LL1345
    Faulty Meter
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    Faulty Meter 5th Jul 17 at 9:50 PM
    Just looking for a bit of advice. I've recently moved into a new house and have been taking gas meter readings monthly. I've noticed the reading are quite a lot higher than my sisters (I am single and she has two children and a husband). I have switched off my gas and the meter is still using more units than my sisters.
    Has this happened to anyone else? It seems to go approx 3 units a day but I'm sure it shouldn't go up that much if I have switched off the heating/ hot water? The energy company asked me to take weekly reading but have told me 3 units is not classed as high but I would class that as not normal if everything is switched off. I am now taking daily meter readings. The boiler has recently been serviced.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
Page 2
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 7th Jul 17, 8:04 AM
    • 625 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    House Martin
    Really ? Best get my "non-standard" meter changed then.

The right hand one is most likely the check meter as it is newer, there are new tails going to it, the way the grey tails are bent as if they were previously fitted to the left meter and the seal on the left hand meter is ancient and tarnished.

OP, now the fun begins sorting out with the supplier which electric meter is the correct one and that the gas meter reads you have been giving them are wrong. I feel a whole heap of pain coming.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Of course I have seen a few electric meters in my area with incorrect meters installed with a decimal point.The point is so small and hard to see when the meter is in an awkward place that anyone who s reading sight is not so good would have trouble spotting it and then start to include the last digit in submitting reads. Most digital meters can be hard to see anyway without a miniscule dot involved and many people have`nt a clue what a decimal point means. I get this fault all the time with solar panel meters who also routinely use these meters.. One user had had to have a warrant of entry taken against him because he believed BG owed him thousands as he wrongly calculated what he thought he was owed..Smart meters have them but as they are remotely read its not a problem.
    Secure Liberty meters have them when the reading is displayed for a second or two as it scrolls round..Dreadful meters for anyone not so good on eyesight.Any supplier who has picked these meters holds their customers in contempt IMO
    • LL1345
    • By LL1345 7th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LL1345
    I called Swalec and asked about the second meter and they've confirmed it was a check meter, they said it was installed years ago but it was not disconnected. I rang my current supplier and explained and luckily I'll give them a couple of gas readings over the next month and they'll give me an estimated reading for the two incorrect months. Thanks all for the advice and help, really appreciate it
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 7th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,845 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    Robin9
    Thank you for the update - all looks resolved
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,579Users online

Martin's Twitter