Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sam1970
    • By sam1970 5th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 1,028Posts
    • 122Thanks
    sam1970
    Moving gas meter !
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    Moving gas meter ! 5th Jul 17 at 9:38 PM
    We are in the middle of a house renovation and our builder suggested that we move the gas meter from the kitchen to the garden. He will get a gas safe engineer to do the job. Can we do that? I read some where that it is illegal to move gas meter yourself but that was in an old internet thread. Has things changed? My builder says he has done many times without a problem as all work is certified.
    something missing
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 5th Jul 17, 10:14 PM
    • 23,959 Posts
    • 66,521 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:14 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:14 PM
    No, they cannot move the meter It's against the law. I suspect the gas safe engineer will tell the builder that too.

Usually your own engineer has to be there with the one from either your supplier or the transporter, depending on how far you are moving it.

It isn't cheap, but contact your supplier in the first instance and I'm sure they'll guide you in the right direction.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • beaker141
    • By beaker141 5th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    beaker141
    • 5th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    I had mine moved, just over a 1m distance, pretty easy job, cost £504 with National Grid. Changed meter from a standard to semi submerged box type.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 6th Jul 17, 11:30 PM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 3,046 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:30 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:30 PM
    Phone whoever you pay for your gas, they will move the supply your builders RGI will reconnect the pipe from the meter to your existing pipework in the house, but it might not be cheap & don't expect it done very quickly
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin