Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • curly B
    • By curly B 5th Jul 17, 8:58 PM
    • 136Posts
    • 453Thanks
    curly B
    eBay Incorrect description and high postage
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:58 PM
    eBay Incorrect description and high postage 5th Jul 17 at 8:58 PM
    I received a Jacket I had won today, the postage was half of that i was asked to pay. When I put the described and sold as new item on, it had an Oxfam receipt in the pocket for a Jacket. I am guessing it was for this item. I would obviously want the jacket cleaning if I want to keep it but should I ask the seller for money back as there was no indication it was from a charity shop and the postage was double?
Page 1
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 5th Jul 17, 9:09 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 993 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:09 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:09 PM
    At least contact the seller and give them an opportunity to explain. Charity shops often sell brand new items - the fact they come via a charity shop doesn't make them 'used' - and how do you know the receipt related to the jacket you bought?

As for postage - you were happy to pay it, so why quibble now? Also see earlier thread on this: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5671492
    • curly B
    • By curly B 5th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    curly B
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    I was happy to pay the postage as I presumed the weight of the jacket was over the 2kg for small parcel with packaging.
    I appreciate charity shops sell new items however I would not expect
    a till receipt in the pocket of a new item, this alone questions the "new" description.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 5th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 10,918 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    Did you get what you thought you were getting?

Are you happy with the item you have?
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 5th Jul 17, 10:30 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:30 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:30 PM
    I was happy to pay the postage as I presumed the weight of the jacket was over the 2kg for small parcel with packaging.
    a till receipt in the pocket of a new item, this alone questions the "new" description.
    Originally posted by curly B
    No it doesn't - a receipt could have been stuck into the pocket because the buyer didn't have a bag. If the item looks new, why all the fuss?
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 6th Jul 17, 5:24 AM
    • 4,353 Posts
    • 3,746 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:24 AM
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:24 AM
    Buying on eBay isn't for everyone. It doesn't matter where the item came from as long as it was as described. As for the postage, you were happy to pay it at the time. If you are unhappy you can always raise it in the feedback. But really if a charity shop receipt causes this much upset then ask the seller if you can return for a refund.
    • steviebabes
    • By steviebabes 6th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    steviebabes
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    When you bid on the item you knew the postage cost and your maximum bid reflected this. Had the postage been lower your maximum bid would probably have been higher.
    • RMS2
    • By RMS2 6th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    RMS2
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    Originally posted by curly B
    If you are happy with the item, keep it and be happy, it cost no more than you bid. Do not forget, that the cost of postage is not just the cost of the stamps. ebay/paypal steal 15%, so they are already bumping up your costs.

It is for postage and packaging, not just for the box etc, but the time making sure it is packed well. If you say, ah but that cost should be in the price, no it shouldn't - the price is for the goods. If you collected an item, would you start haggling the price down, because the seller hadn't had to pack it?

Go and buy a non ebay item online and see if the postage charge equates to the value of the stamps on the box - hint, it won't. And those business sellers haven't had ebay/paypal steal 15% either.

BTW, what was the cost of the item? I bet it was next to nothing.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 6th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 7,074 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Charity shops often sell brand new items - the fact they come via a charity shop doesn't make them 'used'
    Originally posted by Tealblue
    No - but it does make them second-hand. If the eBay seller is buying from a charity shop and re-selling the goods may be unworn but are no longer new.
    No it doesn't - a receipt could have been stuck into the pocket because the buyer didn't have a bag. If the item looks new, why all the fuss?
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    Were they wearing the jacket at the time? It's now definitely used. Or did they buy the item intending to sell it on and wanted to keep the receipt with the item to track their profits? Sloppy.

If the OP wanted to buy a used jacket from an Oxfam shop - they could have done so. If they wanted something new and bought something advertised as new - they are entitled to challenge it. A new item should not have anything in the pockets that wasn't put there by the manufacturer e.g. spare buttons.

Postage is a separate issue.
    This Be the Verse - Philip Larkin. The first line that everyone knows.
    • Lisbon
    • By Lisbon 6th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    Lisbon
    No - but it does make them second-hand. If the eBay seller is buying from a charity shop and re-selling the goods may be unworn but are no longer new.
    Were they wearing the jacket at the time? It's now definitely used. Or did they buy the item intending to sell it on and wanted to keep the receipt with the item to track their profits? Sloppy.

If the OP wanted to buy a used jacket from an Oxfam shop - they could have done so. If they wanted something new and bought something advertised as new - they are entitled to challenge it. A new item should not have anything in the pockets that wasn't put there by the manufacturer e.g. spare buttons.

Postage is a separate issue.
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    Does it really matter...? I can't believe the agonising that goes on about nothing of any real importance. As suggested early on in this thread, the buyer needs to contact the seller and ask for an explanation. End of.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Jul 17, 1:30 PM
    • 25,723 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Never found anything in the pocket of a new jacket? Try working in a clothing shop for a while.

You can find all sorts of nasty items. Sweet wrappers and receipts from people that were too lazy to walk to a bin, could be worse when you find a half eaten sweet thats gone sticky in the pocket or worse for clothing on low rails where kids with sticky mitts pull and tug the clothing and cover them in all manner of bodily fluids.

I was put off the pick and mix many years ago after watchinh a yound lad approx 6 - 8years old, working his way along the tubs tasting stuff and putting the ones he didnt like back. Never touched a pick and mix since.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • BJV
    • By BJV 6th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 3,359 Thanks
    BJV
    Ok well TBH if you are buying an item described as new for example a Burberry jacket from Fred blog's it has to be used. The moment that Fred blogs has ownership it is used. No matter if he wear it or not.

I would not worry about it. If you like the jacket and it is as you expected ???? after all I bet it is a lot lower price than it would of been if you bought it from the shops. Hence why you bought it on ebay????

I sold something recently on ebay. It cost me £98.00 I got £35.00. I left the invoice in it to show where it came from. By your rule of thumb the person who bought it should be sending me the difference.
    ( My mum used to work in a charity shop- it was not the sweet wrappers she minded more the dirty knickers !!!!! )
    Last edited by BJV; 06-07-2017 at 1:43 PM.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 6th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Have they got any jobs going? :/
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 6th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    • 17,015 Posts
    • 11,194 Thanks
    molerat
    ( My mum used to work in a charity shop- it was not the sweet wrappers she minded more the dirty knickers !!!!! )
    Originally posted by BJV
    My SIL works in a charity shop. The generally used grubby ones aren't too bad, it is the ones where the previous owner !!!! themselves that are off putting. That along with soiled nappies
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 6th Jul 17, 4:19 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 7,074 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Ok well TBH if you are buying an item described as new for example a Burberry jacket from Fred blog's it has to be used. The moment that Fred blogs has ownership it is used. No matter if he wear it or not.
    Originally posted by BJV
    Nope. "Used" is not the same as "Secondhand". Depends whether Fred Blogs is a private seller or a shop. Manufacturer to Shop to Me is still New ; Manufacturer to Shop to You to Me is Secondhand whether you used it or not.

Why do you think there are phrases like Brand-New in Box and Brand New with Tags? And of course there's the concept of New Old Stock (i.e. something which has been sold on from one shop/dealer to another but has never been used) which may be 20 years since manufacture.

I sold something recently on ebay. It cost me £98.00 I got £35.00. I left the invoice in it to show where it came from. By your rule of thumb the person who bought it should be sending me the difference.
    No. But if you claimed it was new from you as a dealer, then they have the option to challenge your description. The OP has said nothing about the price of the jacket or the price on the receipt.
    This Be the Verse - Philip Larkin. The first line that everyone knows.
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 7th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    • 10,400 Posts
    • 58,258 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Flipping heck. Glad I don't sell clothes anymore..

New old stock derived when they changed listing status a few years back.. and it was mainly used by vintage clothes seller which had vintage clothing still with the original label on it.
    Work to live= not live to work
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 7th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Brynsam
    Remove receipt from pocket. Grow up. Problem solved.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 7th Jul 17, 8:01 PM
    • 4,816 Posts
    • 18,777 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I agree with everyone else re the postage but not regarding the possibility it may not be new when sold as new.

The OP has said it will need dry cleaning, if it smells and that's the reason it needs dry cleaning then I think the OP is entitled to be quibbling. he/she has paid a price they thought fair for an item that was described as new that is in fact second hand and they may not have paid that price had they known.
    Lunches brought to work in September 6/20 Money saved to date £13.07 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal.)

Make £10 a day in September £355.84/300 (August£223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,535Posts Today

7,380Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin