Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Insanelogic
    • By Insanelogic 5th Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Insanelogic
    Currys pc world beware
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    Currys pc world beware 5th Jul 17 at 8:46 PM
    I am new here, but I wanted to alert everyone to a process that I felt was underhand, although satisfied with purchase.
    I recently bought a vacuum cleaner from currys, and paid by credit card, but it waas only later I realised what they did, they charged my credit card to pay for £129 Gift card and then used gift card to pay for the item.
    Now I may be mistaken here, but if I was unsatisfied with purchase, I would not be able to claim refund back to credit card, as gift card has different rules.
    Should anyone else have this problem please let others know, as we all know what happens with gift cards when company goes down.

Thanks

Graham
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 5th Jul 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:16 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:16 PM
    We don't often shop in Currys, but this has never happened when we have - the cost has been taken straight from our credit card.

Just a thought, but I wonder if Curry's employees get commission for selling gift cards..................
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 5th Jul 17, 9:24 PM
    • 35,472 Posts
    • 45,662 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:24 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:24 PM
    Surely buying a gift card is a cash transaction. Check what fees you have paid. I would ring your cc company and also complain to Currys head office
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Insanelogic
    • By Insanelogic 5th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Insanelogic
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    Thanks thats great advice, I will be making a phone call tomorrow, and will publish their reply when spoken to them.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 5th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,548 Thanks
    wealdroam
    I am new here, but I wanted to alert everyone to a process that I felt was underhand, although satisfied with purchase.
    I recently bought a vacuum cleaner from currys, and paid by credit card, but it waas only later I realised what they did, they charged my credit card to pay for £129 Gift card and then used gift card to pay for the item.
    Now I may be mistaken here, but if I was unsatisfied with purchase, I would not be able to claim refund back to credit card, as gift card has different rules.
    Should anyone else have this problem please let others know, as we all know what happens with gift cards when company goes down.

Thanks

Graham
    Originally posted by Insanelogic
    That sounds most irregular.

Can you possibly show us a copy of your receipt?
    • qsk
    • By qsk 6th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    qsk
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    Surely buying a gift card is a cash transaction. Check what fees you have paid. I would ring your cc company and also complain to Currys head office
    Originally posted by McKneff
    Are you sure? I've never been charged CC fees for buying gift cards.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 6th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    • 32,328 Posts
    • 27,085 Thanks
    custardy
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    Sounds more like a 'scam' to hit sales of gift card targets.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 6th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 6,240 Posts
    • 19,153 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    It's a scam designed to hit targets or maximise commission (or both). Report it to their Head Office.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 6th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,329 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    boliston
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    I'm wondering if this is similar to the scam where they set a consumer purchase up as a "business" purchase to ensure you have no rights as a consumer. My OH purchased a personal laptop a few months ago and the invoice said "PC world business" on it.
    • Pound
    • By Pound 6th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    Pound
    I'm wondering if this is similar to the scam where they set a consumer purchase up as a "business" purchase to ensure you have no rights as a consumer. My OH purchased a personal laptop a few months ago and the invoice said "PC world business" on it.
    Originally posted by boliston
    Same thing happened to me, Oxford Street store, the only thing that suggests it's a business transaction are the words "PCBW" and "B2B" on the receipt. I only noticed they did it because I got an email telling me I'd opened a PCW Business Account.

I haven't yet had a fault so not sure if they would tell me consumer rights don't apply.
    Last edited by Pound; 06-07-2017 at 8:18 PM.

• Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 8th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Are you sure? I've never been charged CC fees for buying gift cards.
    Originally posted by qsk
    Some CC's do, some CC's don't, so the OP would be best placed to also call their CC provider/check their online account and see if they had been charged as if it were a cash advance. If this is the case, a fee plus interest will be being charged and reimbursement should be sought from Curry's in due course.

You are correct that you would have had s75 protection from your credit card (another avenue to use for a refund if the vaccum goes wrong within the warranty period and Curry's don't help) but that you don't have this due to the gift card intervention.
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£66.55/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £41.40/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £179.71/£120.00
    EF #170 ~ £500
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £5/£365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ £17.31/£667.95
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 8th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 3,056 Posts
    • 5,308 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    I just asked my brother (Currys manager) about this and he has said there is absolutely no reason at all for them to do this, they are not targeted on gift card sales in any way at all and they do not get commission at all let along from a gift card sale. He has asked if you could get the 4 digit store number and he will look at the internal figures systems to see if that store or at least a colleague there is doing it regularly.

He did say the only times they sell gift cards are
    1: When somebody requests one
    2: As a refund that is goodwill rather than part of returns policy or law
    3: As a refund if somebody has forgotten the payment card for a return and doesn't want to go back again later with it
    4: If a web purchase is being processed in store with the customer paying cash, it is loaded on to a gift card and then that gets processed online otherwise there is no way to pay cash for an online purchase and it should be fully explained to the customer before processing it.

This one really does have him baffled.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 8th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    my brother (Currys manager)
    Very handy, for all of us.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 8th Jul 17, 2:29 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Originally posted by boliston
    The last time i made a purchase with my business card at Currys ( several years ago) they refused until i produced my business bank statement and letterhead to prove it was my business. I have never made another business purchase with them since, even though they may have what i needed at a cheaper price.
    • Spank
    • By Spank 8th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Spank
    Seems to me the scam is that the op won't get thier money back if they return the item as it will have to be put onto a gift card forcing them to buy a replacement (or something else) in Currys (probably within a year or the card will lose it's value)
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 8th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    last year i had an issue with currys and was given a gift card.
    I purchased a printer (under £100) and paid cash, within a few days it stopped printing and the cartridge holder would not move, so took it back to store and they said they did not have any in stock and their local depot had non, so they told me they would refund to gift card and then order 1 online for me to be delivered to me, but when they went online non were in stock, so i was given the gift card, when i stated i would rather have the cash refund i was told sorry we cant as we already refunded to a gift card. so now me without a printer and a useless giftcard.
    when i got home i emailed their CEO with copies of all the paperwork and a few days later i got an email from their exec dept asking for me to call them, so i did and they apologised and stated the store should have checked online before making the refund on a gift card, so as a goodwill they would send me a cheque for the total refund and allow the giftcard to remain active so i could also use the giftcard.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,193Posts Today

9,616Users online

Martin's Twitter