Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • matty2767
    • By matty2767 5th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    • 423Posts
    • 545Thanks
    matty2767
    Conservatory quote
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    Conservatory quote 5th Jul 17 at 7:11 PM
    Hi guys

we are East Midlands based

we have had a few quotes for a conservatory and would appreciate your comments on the prices please. we have been quoted for:

3.6m x 3.6m outside dimensions
    existing ground is flat but will include removal of existing patio slabs
    dwarf wall all round
    Pilkington glass with the active blue glass roof
    underfloor heating (although I'm not sure if this is best or heat using elec rads)
    stone tiles
    livin room edge around the bit where the vertical glass meets the roof. its like a box out section that the lights sit in.

connects to our house via French doors which are staying in. so no alterations to the house itself.
    no planning permission required.

we have had 3 quotes of which the cheapest is £19k, these are from local companies of varying size. the £19k is from the smallest of them. we have one more quote to come in from a self employed business.

searching the internet suggests we should be in the region of £12-15k. is this guide right or have we just not got the right company to quote? or is the price seasonal and would be better searching in the autumn?

many thanks

matthew
    Last edited by matty2767; 05-07-2017 at 7:16 PM.
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 6th Jul 17, 5:44 AM
    • 3,488 Posts
    • 2,180 Thanks
    Furts
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:44 AM
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:44 AM
    Keep it simple to keep down costs. So if you are quoted for an apex roof then aim for a sloping roof.

MiL had a conservatory built - I drew up details and helped shop around. The company was not brilliant but that is normal with conservatory building, Whatever you do, set your expectations low to avoid disappointment.

Size was as yours for square metres, but without underfloor heating. It was insulated in the walls and the floor, fully plastered, and with lighting.

There was an existing asbestos conservatory to remove, plus some landscaping, paving and levelling to be done. It all came in at around £9000. So around half what you are quoted. Try waiting til cooler weather and shop around.
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 6th Jul 17, 4:32 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:32 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:32 PM
    My neighbour who is a tightwad bought a used who from fleebay for around £1200 got someone to fit it for him all in all cost about £3,500 to do

He also bought used metal railing and a gate for £150 painted them black and to be fair they dont look to bad

19k is a lot of hours at work to earn, just saying this is mse after all
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
    • matty2767
    • By matty2767 7th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    matty2767
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    thanks guys

I know - its a lot

just concerned that is our cheapest quote.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 8th Jul 17, 7:21 AM
    • 3,488 Posts
    • 2,180 Thanks
    Furts
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:21 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:21 AM
    I have not looked for a while at the Wickes catalogue, but there were varying styles and sizes of conservatory. By memory a dwarf wall mono pitch poly carb roof (they were not doing glass roofs which always seemed foolish) was around £4500. Hence, a DIY route is a possibility, even if you employ some help in this.

You could also try the trade companies and suppliers. You would not get fitting instructions here, but there is one in my area that also erects which means consumer conservatories at more realistic prices.
    There will be trade companies in your area to check out too.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 8th Jul 17, 8:41 AM
    • 3,488 Posts
    • 2,180 Thanks
    Furts
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:41 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:41 AM
    Just noticed you are East Midlands, so a name comes to mind. Up to you whether you go the trade route though. I am guessing the company would be interested in talking to you.
    • xyz123
    • By xyz123 15th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    xyz123
    • 15th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    For what it's worth just ask the company to do seperate quotes for. Deep foundations. Many who have one (us included) wish they had a proper extension as its either too hot or too Cold..so if possible deep foundations can help if in future you want to put a proper extension in..
    • davilown
    • By davilown 29th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,452 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    davilown
    • 29th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 29th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    If I was quoted £19k for a conservatory, id seriously think about having an extension instead with some velux windows - at least it would be a room you could use in summer and winter rather than being too hot or too cold.

As i say though, just my opinion - I took mine down 2 years ago and put a deck on the concrete which gets used all the time in the summer
    Back in Debt £1830,545/£225,000 on a mortgage, Overpayment £96 pm - Aim to be Mortgage free by 2028
    £27000/£27000 paid off Feb 2010 since LBM Jan 2007!
    • pt6dp
    • By pt6dp 1st Aug 17, 4:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pt6dp
    • 1st Aug 17, 4:01 PM
    • 1st Aug 17, 4:01 PM
    Hi, I had a conservatory, the same size as you are looking at with Edwardian style roof, dwarf wall but fitted on a floating metal base. Has been up over 3 years now, and still perfect. I added underfloor heating and tiled the floor myself and my total outlay was about £5k including having the conservatory erected. Is was finished in 2 days. Very happy with it and use it all year round.

Even when I looked at ones with footings, about £10-12k were the quotes received.(The roof you are looking at will add some £ I expect if you are having glass. I went for extra thick poly and it is fine. Holds heat well.)

Cheers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,310Posts Today

8,220Users online

Martin's Twitter