Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AG47
    • By AG47 5th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 614Posts
    • 147Thanks
    AG47
    Packages are getting opened
    • 5th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    Packages are getting opened 5th Jul 17 at 5:24 PM
    I'm regularly ordering from USA, lately my packages are arriving opened and poorly taped back up.

This has happened in the past, but always had a HM customs note stuck on saying that this package was opened by HM customs,

But these latest packages never had any explanation at all.

Who can I ask, how can I find out who is opening my packages?

I asked parcel force and they said it wasn't them, the delivery guy had no idea either.

Are customs still required to put a notice if it was them, or has there been a change recently?
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    • 59,478 Posts
    • 42,180 Thanks
    soolin
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    I order regularly and have not noticed anything different about my packages.

If you believe yours are being tampered with do the ones damaged have anything in common, the same seller or mis stated item value or such like?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 6th Jul 17, 9:25 AM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 1,031 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:25 AM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:25 AM
    Original post by OP on the same subject:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5674697
    • AG47
    • By AG47 8th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 614 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    AG47
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    I order regularly and have not noticed anything different about my packages.

If you believe yours are being tampered with do the ones damaged have anything in common, the same seller or mis stated item value or such like?
    Originally posted by soolin
    No from different sellers, the Americans use different tape, but these packages are getting opening and then tapped back up with different tape.

I understand if customs do open packages they are required to put a sticker on exp,aiming it
    • Lisbon
    • By Lisbon 8th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    Lisbon
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    'Although the Border Force can examine the contents of a package the responsibility for opening, repacking and resealing it is carried out by Royal Mail who also deliver it. Therefore if you have a complaint about delay or damage to your package you should contact the appropriate Royal Mail or Parcelforce Worldwide Customer Service Centre.

In cases where the Border Force have damaged the contents, an acknowledgement will be provided by enclosing a letter within the package.'

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users
    • AG47
    • By AG47 11th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    AG47
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    'Although the Border Force can examine the contents of a package the responsibility for opening, repacking and resealing it is carried out by Royal Mail who also deliver it. Therefore if you have a complaint about delay or damage to your package you should contact the appropriate Royal Mail or Parcelforce Worldwide Customer Service Centre.

In cases where the Border Force have damaged the contents, an acknowledgement will be provided by enclosing a letter within the package.'

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users
    Originally posted by Lisbon

This is very helpful thank you.

I made a bit of a fuss and my last package was not molested like the others were.

I still want to get to the bottom of it, I have filed a police report and they are investigating.
    • AG47
    • By AG47 12th Jul 17, 7:46 AM
    • 614 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    AG47
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:46 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:46 AM
    Another package just arrived that has been opened and molested.

The contents have been opened and messed with. Not sure yet how much is missing.

What to do now? Shall I get in to parcel force again?

There was no sticker of explanation.

I will add it to the police report
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 12th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    No from different sellers, the Americans use different tape, but these packages are getting opening and then tapped back up with different tape.

This doesn't make sense; they are different sellers and yet you know what kind of tape, I assume, all Americans use?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 12th Jul 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    bxboards
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:24 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:24 AM
    I still want to get to the bottom of it, I have filed a police report and they are investigating.
    Originally posted by AG47
    The police will not investigate this. Its hard enough getting them to deal 'real' issues (no dis-respect to your issue, but its fairly trivial compared to for example a break in where police are too busy to send someone round)

Locally, about 3 months ago, someone was seen on CCTV trying to break into a rural building with an axe. The police were shown the CCTV but were 'too busy', even though the face of the person was so clear they were ID's immediately - 3 days later, the same person came back with the axe, and had another go at breaking in!

So I don't think you'll get an response, as I don't think a crime has been committed.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 12th Jul 17, 9:26 AM
    • 32,706 Posts
    • 27,423 Thanks
    custardy
    Another package just arrived that has been opened and molested.

The contents have been opened and messed with. Not sure yet how much is missing.

What to do now? Shall I get in to parcel force again?

There was no sticker of explanation.

I will add it to the police report
    Originally posted by AG47
    So lets do the basics.
    You signed for the package? Did you ask the driver about its condition?
    Do you live in flats with communal mailboxes?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Jul 17, 10:06 AM
    • 59,478 Posts
    • 42,180 Thanks
    soolin
    So lets do the basics.
    You signed for the package? Did you ask the driver about its condition?
    Do you live in flats with communal mailboxes?
    Originally posted by custardy
    I agree, It's obvious that the OP is being targeted for some reason which seems odd. I am also extremely surprised that the Police were in the slightest bit interested unless of course OPs issues are part of a wider scheme of harassment of some description.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,054Posts Today

9,663Users online

Martin's Twitter