Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EBoy
    • By EBoy 5th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    EBoy
    nationwide ppi rejected
    • 5th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    nationwide ppi rejected 5th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    Hi I`m looking for help and advice! around 1985 we took out a 100% mortgage with the Lambeth building society and made to take out a PPi cover which we didn't want but told if we didn't we wouldn't get the mortgage .after 3 years we tried to claim after I broke my arm and signed off work for three months only to be told they don’t pay out for the first two months so we cancelled it .we got four months behind we our mortgage took ages to get things sorted. Then they were taken over by the Portman remortgage with them didn’t ask for or want PPi .they were then taken over by the nationwide. First they said they had no records about us so we posted them the few letters and documents we had as if by magic they found some details. After a while they wrote back saying they could not find any evidence of PPi policy with the Lambeth and to send them any evidence to the contrary. They also said in the letter
    (Your concerns
    As I understand it you believe the policy may have been mis-sold and you`ve asked us to check if this was the case.}
    (Our findings
    We`ve carried out a full review of the complaint and the sale documentation confirms
    1. You were aware the cover was in place
    2. Eligibility to have the policy was checked and met
    3. Sufficient information was provided, at the time, to allow an informed decision to be made
    Since the sale ,we`ve also sent additional information so a self- assessment could be completed to decide whether the policy remained suitable .there no evidence to suggest a successful claim could not have been made if needed}
    They’ve gone from saying they could not find any PPi policy with the Lambeth which we are claiming for but we had one with the Portman which we didn’t even know about .it seems they are saying we knew from the start about the cover and agreed to it all . They have no records about the PPi with the Lambeth only the Portman they can see I cancelled the policy in 1998 even the date don’t add up. I don’t want to give up on the Lambeth policy let alone the Portman policy.I`v asked them to send me their full report to look at before I go to them ombudsman
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 5th Jul 17, 5:36 PM
    • 7,228 Posts
    • 4,631 Thanks
    -taff
    • 5th Jul 17, 5:36 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 5:36 PM
    I doubt it was PPI. More likely to be MIG, which they made you take out on a 100% mortgage in case you failed the pay the mortgage.
    It was insurance to cover them, not you.
    • EBoy
    • By EBoy 5th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EBoy
    • 5th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    it was sold to us as an accident and sickness cover so when i put the claim in they said they only start paying after the first two months which was no good to us i didn't get sick pay from my work at the time
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 5th Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    It's standard practice that such policies have a waiting period, they're not designed for short term sickness. Your documentation would have told you this.
    • EBoy
    • By EBoy 5th Jul 17, 6:49 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EBoy
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:49 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:49 PM
    maybe so but it was something we didn`t want at the time as the extra cost for the policy hit us hard each month plus they dropped the bombshell about the policy only right at the end just before we signed the documents, sign up or you dont get the mortgage! so we had no choice lose all the fees we'd paid plus the house or take out the policy
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 12,566 Posts
    • 12,742 Thanks
    zx81
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    they dropped the bombshell about the policy only right at the end just before we signed the documents, sign up or you dont get the mortgage! so we had no choice lose all the fees we'd paid plus the house or take out the policy
    Originally posted by EBoy
    Sounds like you made the right decision, if the policy was compulsory.
    • EBoy
    • By EBoy 5th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EBoy
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    still feels like it was forced on us and mis-sold
    • societys child
    • By societys child 5th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 4,548 Thanks
    societys child
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    The lender decided the terms on which they were willing to lend, not you.

• EBoy
    • By EBoy 5th Jul 17, 11:38 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EBoy
    • 5th Jul 17, 11:38 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 11:38 PM
    still doesn't feel right to me lets see what the ombudsman thinks thats why i was looking for advise on what to say and anything else i might need
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 6th Jul 17, 12:18 AM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    The fact that you had no possible way to pay the mortgage if you had any long term sickness suggests that this was an entirely suitable product.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 6th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    • 7,228 Posts
    • 4,631 Thanks
    -taff
    still feels like it was forced on us and mis-sold

If it was a condition of the mortgage, it was a condition of the mortgage.
    What exactly does your paperwork say? Was it compulsory?
    • EBoy
    • By EBoy 7th Jul 17, 4:54 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EBoy
    we only had a few documents left to do with the mortgage with the Lambeth in1987 seems they didn`t find a lot as well .they had a bit more paperwork on the Portman mortgage we had cover on that as well but when we found out we had that we cancelled it. how can they say we were happy to get the cover with the Lambeth when they don`t have all the paperwork .
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 7th Jul 17, 5:45 AM
    • 14,918 Posts
    • 21,133 Thanks
    antrobus
    There are a number of things that Don't Make Sense.

The OP states that they obtained a mortgage with the Lambeth BS "around 1985", that you were "made to take out a PPI cover", made an unsuccessful claim "after 3 years" and then cancelled the policy. The Nationwide have stated that they cancelled the policy in 1998, which is some ten years later.

The Portman-Lambeth merger did not take place until 2006, and was quickly followed by the Nationwide-Portman merger in 2007. So I can't see that the Nationwide are telling the OP that they had another policy with the Portman.

The Nationwide could not "find any evidence of PPI policy with the Lambeth", but have claimed that the policy sold "remained suitable". Which would suggest that the OP had some some kind of insurance policy that was not PPI.
    • EBoy
    • By EBoy 7th Jul 17, 8:05 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EBoy
    i asked to have a full copy of their report to check over myself of 15 pages not one has anything about the
    Lambeth we had a few that we sent in to prove we were with the Lambeth now because they can`t find any paperwork its been rejected they`ev got dates wrong i tried to claim while we were with the Lambeth
    we closed that policy then we moved and got a mortgage with Portman where we had to take out a cover again we closed that after a while .they think i tried to claim then .i`ll go to the ombudsman see what they say
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 7th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 14,918 Posts
    • 21,133 Thanks
    antrobus
    i asked to have a full copy of their report to check over myself of 15 pages not one has anything about the
    Lambeth we had a few that we sent in to prove we were with the Lambeth now because they can`t find any paperwork its been rejected they`ev got dates wrong i tried to claim while we were with the Lambeth ...
    According to you, the Nationwide state that "could not find any evidence of PPI policy". Do you have any evidence of a PPI policy?

..we closed that policy then we moved and got a mortgage with Portman where we had to take out a cover again we closed that after a while .they think i tried to claim then .i`ll go to the ombudsman see what they say
    What kind of cover? When was it taken out?
    • EBoy
    • By EBoy 7th Jul 17, 9:26 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EBoy
    no we don`t i was hoping they would have something . with the Lambeth 100% sure some sort of accident and sickness policy not sure about the one with Portman
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 7th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 14,918 Posts
    • 21,133 Thanks
    antrobus
    no we don`t i was hoping they would have something . with the Lambeth 100% sure some sort of accident and sickness policy not sure about the one with Portman
    That would be your problem. The Nationwide have no evidence of a PPI policy with the Lambeth BS, you have no evidence of a PPI policy with the Lambeth BS. Your recollection that you had some kind of ASU policy may not be sufficient.

And "about 1985" is 30 years ago.
    • EBoy
    • By EBoy 7th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EBoy
    i`ll have one last look in all the box`s we stored paperwork you never know ? the first time we checked we found Lambeth paperwork one with account details . we ended up three months in arrears back then because of that policy we didn't want and yes you could say our fault for not reading it properly may we were too naive and trusting
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,040Posts Today

6,846Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin