Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 5th Jul 17, 3:19 PM
    • 7,737Posts
    • 1,785Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Nationwide on-line banking
    • 5th Jul 17, 3:19 PM
    Nationwide on-line banking 5th Jul 17 at 3:19 PM
    Nationwide on-line banking is down at the moment - as is their phone app !!
    Anyone have any details of why ?
Page 3
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 9th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    RG2015
    Correct. Every time you login, you are given the choice of using either, (a) the card reader or, (b) memorable data.

Option A is a bit quicker and easier. But during the recent 'problems' I was obliged to use option B.
    Originally posted by antrobus
    In my experience option B is much quicker and easier and does not require either the card or the card reader. There are also three pieces of memorable data that you can choose from.
    • Armchair23
    • By Armchair23 9th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    Armchair23
    The only thing wrong with the concept of Option B is that when you have just opened an account and don't have a card reader you don't have any way of setting up your memorable data , at that stage it simply doesn't exist.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 9th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    RG2015
    The only thing wrong with the concept of Option B is that when you have just opened an account and don't have a card reader you don't have any way of setting up your memorable data , at that stage it simply doesn't exist.
    Originally posted by Armchair23
    Ok, I did it once the very first time. The reader had arrived before the bank details although I could always have used my NatWest reader I've had for a few years. But no way is it easier or quicker using the reader.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 9th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    But no way is it easier or quicker using the reader.
    Originally posted by RG2015
    I agree. I only use the card reader when I have to, e.g. for setting up new payees. I know my customer number, memorable data and pass number off by heart and I can type them into the boxes in a fraction of the time it takes me to put my card into the reader, enter my PIN, generate a magic number and type this into the screen.
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 10th Jul 17, 12:08 AM
    • 2,991 Posts
    • 2,767 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    Originally posted by Armchair23
    Really? You don't get to set up the memorable data while opening the account?
    I ask because I had online access using memorable data for years before I got a card reader. I only got that when I opened a FlexDirect account.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,331Posts Today

8,300Users online

Martin's Twitter