Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheDebtinator
    • By TheDebtinator 5th Jul 17, 3:11 PM
    • 230Posts
    • 63Thanks
    TheDebtinator
    Confused over who to switch to
    • 5th Jul 17, 3:11 PM
    Confused over who to switch to 5th Jul 17 at 3:11 PM
    It has been some time since I have needed to switch energy supplier.

I think I have the gas one nailed down (Zog seem to get favourable reviews), but Electricity seems to be causing me some headaches. Having just moved into a new house, we have no idea what our usage will be. We both work during the day so are only home at night and weekends (except when out, of course).

Doing the price comparisons based on Medium use, I get the following;

1) Economy Energy
    2) OneSelect
    3) Affect Energy
    4) Together Energy
    5) Economy Energy Online
    6) SO Energy
    7) Bristol Energy
    8) PFP Energy
    9) NPower
    10) NPower

The only one I "recognise" is NPower, but I see they don't get such a good rep. I have read various posts about various suppliers and there seems to be a mixture of good and bad for each. I want hassle free, good value electricity. All of the above are within a few quid of each other.

I am currently with BG on a standard tariff, yet when I do a price quote on their site, the standard tariff comes out at the same price as their fixed, and similar to the prices I have found for the above. Their Gas price is double however.

So, ZOG for Gas and BG for Electricity seem reasonable? This is for a 4 bed semi with 2 people.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 5th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    Well I presume you used electricity in your previous house so you'll have some idea of what you were paying previously?

Anyway any payments you make towards electricity go on credit on your account and then used to pay the bills.

If you want to stay with British Gas for electricity that's up to you but most of those smaller companies you've listed have feedback threads in this forum so you can see what experiences other people have had.

Zog is a good gas only company, you'll like them. I've been with them for a while, they get good reviews and write-ups and put some of the bigger names to shame.
    • Scott M
    • By Scott M 5th Jul 17, 8:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Scott M
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:40 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:40 PM
    Have you looked at Bulb energy yet? I switched 3 months ago and their service has been good. Prices are low too. I was previously with Ecotricity although they started to get expensive.

My only concern so far is that they are quite a new company and that the service level might drop.

I got money off my first bill with a referral code. If you use the link bulb . co . uk / refer / credit50 you can get £50 credit for your account and you then get your own £50 referral code to pass on.

They only have one tariff so it's less complicated and there are no exit fees. The switching process was completed online in minutes.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 5th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    Have you looked at Bulb energy yet? I switched 3 months ago and their service has been good. Prices are low too. I was previously with Ecotricity although they started to get expensive.

My only concern so far is that they are quite a new company and that the service level might drop.

I got money off my first bill with a referral code. If you use the link bulb . co . uk / refer / credit50 you can get £50 credit for your account and you then get your own £50 referral code to pass on.

They only have one tariff so it's less complicated and there are no exit fees. The switching process was completed online in minutes.
    Originally posted by Scott M
    First post recommending Bulb - uhm!
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 5th Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    • 31,500 Posts
    • 37,199 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    First post , Spamming referral
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • TheDebtinator
    • By TheDebtinator 6th Jul 17, 9:04 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    TheDebtinator
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:04 AM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:04 AM
    Well I presume you used electricity in your previous house so you'll have some idea of what you were paying previously?

Anyway any payments you make towards electricity go on credit on your account and then used to pay the bills.

If you want to stay with British Gas for electricity that's up to you but most of those smaller companies you've listed have feedback threads in this forum so you can see what experiences other people have had.

Zog is a good gas only company, you'll like them. I've been with them for a while, they get good reviews and write-ups and put some of the bigger names to shame.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Yes, we had a small 2 bed semi, now we have quite a large 4 bed semi.

Yes Zog's reviews seem positive which is why I am looking to switch to them.

I have just done another comparison, Bristol Energy have come up quite well for Gas with no exit fee. hmmmm
    • TheDebtinator
    • By TheDebtinator 7th Jul 17, 9:26 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    TheDebtinator
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:26 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:26 AM
    Did another comparison using estimated figures based on our last bill from our old house - One of them came up with zero standing charges. I've been told to be weary of that?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 9,478 Posts
    • 3,872 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    Ebico and others do zero standing charges .
    Useful for those using low amounts .
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 7th Jul 17, 2:32 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:32 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:32 PM
    Did another comparison using estimated figures based on our last bill from our old house - One of them came up with zero standing charges. I've been told to be weary of that?
    Originally posted by TheDebtinator
    Not necessarily, can be a boon. If you're a very very low user (second home for example you visit or use in the summer) a no standing charge will save money but on the other hand its a higher per unit charge.
    • TheDebtinator
    • By TheDebtinator 8th Jul 17, 9:17 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    TheDebtinator
    Neither of those apply to us really. I just want to avoid being stuck with a rubbish electric company. Everyone seems to have mixed reviews. I'll spend more time this weekend researching and make a decision as I don't want to be on a BG standard tariff any longer.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 8th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    • 9,611 Posts
    • 14,283 Thanks
    melbury
    It has been some time since I have needed to switch energy supplier.

I think I have the gas one nailed down (Zog seem to get favourable reviews), but Electricity seems to be causing me some headaches. Having just moved into a new house, we have no idea what our usage will be. We both work during the day so are only home at night and weekends (except when out, of course).

Doing the price comparisons based on Medium use, I get the following;

1) Economy Energy
    2) OneSelect
    3) Affect Energy
    4) Together Energy
    5) Economy Energy Online
    6) SO Energy
    7) Bristol Energy
    8) PFP Energy
    9) NPower
    10) NPower

The only one I "recognise" is NPower, but I see they don't get such a good rep. I have read various posts about various suppliers and there seems to be a mixture of good and bad for each. I want hassle free, good value electricity. All of the above are within a few quid of each other.

I am currently with BG on a standard tariff, yet when I do a price quote on their site, the standard tariff comes out at the same price as their fixed, and similar to the prices I have found for the above. Their Gas price is double however.

So, ZOG for Gas and BG for Electricity seem reasonable? This is for a 4 bed semi with 2 people.

Thanks.
    I am in exactly the same position in that my current tariff is about to run out. There are so many names that I don't recognise and these are the ones offering the lowest prices, but are they reputable and any good?
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

• Hengus
    • By Hengus 8th Jul 17, 10:07 AM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    Hengus
    I am in exactly the same position in that my current tariff is about to run out. There are so many names that I don't recognise and these are the ones offering the lowest prices, but are they reputable and any good?
    Originally posted by melbury
    Your supply is protected, as is any credit on your account irrespective of the supplier that you choose. Yes, you may be faced with months of poor customer service but there are no guarantees that if you use one of the Big 6 that they will get everything right. Which Big 6 supplier is under Ofgem investigation at the moment?
    • melbury
    • By melbury 9th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 9,611 Posts
    • 14,283 Thanks
    melbury
    Your supply is protected, as is any credit on your account irrespective of the supplier that you choose. Yes, you may be faced with months of poor customer service but there are no guarantees that if you use one of the Big 6 that they will get everything right. Which Big 6 supplier is under Ofgem investigation at the moment?
    Originally posted by Hengus
    I don't know, who?
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

• Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    Hengus
    I don't know, who?
    Originally posted by melbury

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2017/07/ofgem-to-investigate-british-gas-after-mse-campaign
    • TheDebtinator
    • By TheDebtinator 11th Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    TheDebtinator
    Ok, so switched to Zog for gas and SO Energy for electric.

Lets see how this goes!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 11th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    Hengus
    Ok, so switched to Zog for gas and SO Energy for electric.

Lets see how this goes!
    A word of advice about Zog. It is a first-class 'no frills' company. It will not send you a meter reading reminder so if you want accurate bills you need to provide Zog with an actual meter reading on the last day of each month. My June bill came through by e-mail today.
    • TheDebtinator
    • By TheDebtinator 11th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    TheDebtinator
    Thanks. We will set reminders up to do the reading.

Any issues you have found or are you otherwise happy with their service?
    • Maxwell007
    • By Maxwell007 11th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Maxwell007
    Try Tonik Energy .. .
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 11th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    Hengus
    Thanks. We will set reminders up to do the reading.

Any issues you have found or are you otherwise happy with their service?
    Zog is a small supplier. I am back with them after a 6 month break. No issues whatsoever. E-mail them a question and you will get a response in hours. Their billing is clear with no confusing multipliers.
    Last edited by Hengus; 11-07-2017 at 1:21 PM.
    • TheDebtinator
    • By TheDebtinator 11th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    TheDebtinator
    Zog is a small supplier. I am back with them after a 6 month break. No issues whatsoever. E-mail them a question and you will get a response in hours. Their billing is clear with no confusing multipliers.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Sounds acceptable to me. Time will tell, August 2nd is our slated switch date, and August 1st for SO Energy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

1,160Users online

Martin's Twitter