Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • twc58
    • By twc58 5th Jul 17, 2:51 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 2Thanks
    twc58
    Any ideas for a small online business?
    • 5th Jul 17, 2:51 PM
    Any ideas for a small online business? 5th Jul 17 at 2:51 PM
    I am 58 and wanting to leave work now, work from home and start an online business.

I am only looking to make £100 a week as I already have a small pension.

I want to sell something that is small in size, not perishable and is unlikley to be returned by the customer (unless faulty).

Any ideas?

Does anyone currently run their own online business?

Thanks
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 5th Jul 17, 3:16 PM
    • 9,924 Posts
    • 7,992 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 5th Jul 17, 3:16 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 3:16 PM
    Very few people who are selling a product which would meet your criteria would tell you about it. They don't want any competition!
    • LED Man
    • By LED Man 5th Jul 17, 3:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LED Man
    • 5th Jul 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 3:23 PM
    You could sell many things the only problem is its not easy with the likes of amazon and Ebay pretty much dominating every market place, I sell lighting International LED's fittings etc , honestly we do ok but its tough I suppose you will have to have a think of what you think you can buy at a cheaper cost than many others that there may be a demand for. Good Luck
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 59,481 Posts
    • 42,180 Thanks
    soolin
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    I am 58 and wanting to leave work now, work from home and start an online business.

I am only looking to make £100 a week as I already have a small pension.

I want to sell something that is small in size, not perishable and is unlikley to be returned by the customer (unless faulty).

Any ideas?

Does anyone currently run their own online business?

Thanks
    Originally posted by twc58
    As has been said already anyone with a half decent idea would be likely to be doing it themselves. THere are plenty of us over on the eBay and others board running small businesses, but I very much doubt they would go as far as tell you about their actual stock and sources.

'Only £100' is also quite an ambition to start with unless you are hoping for the sort of stock most of us can only dream about that you buy at 50p and sell at £20 , the reality Is more likely to be buying at about a third of the eventual sale price, then deducting a third of the sale price for fees and expenses less postage leaving a fair bit not huge margin on each sale.

You may be better off looking at a range of goods, perhaps a dozen lines or more and keeping stock in that you can post daily. How much start up capital you have will determine the sort of goods you should look for, and remember when working out profits to allow for losses, returns and stock that you can't shift. I vary my stock all the time and it's like a game of nerves, how much can I sell and how much will I end up stuck with when the market dies?

Do you have an idea of selling venue yet as that can help determine where to start looking for inspiration. Come across to the eBay board and get a few selling tips, but remember that we tend to only post when things go wrong, so it is a rather skewed view of online selling.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 5th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1,367 Posts
    • 2,823 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    I recently spent an interminable time in a Post Office queue while the lady ahead of me was sending off multiple packages of girls' hair bows.

Obviously very light to post, and probably fairly easy to make - and with a good mark-up.

...but this was during that craze that made the news when schools started banning them, so they're probably old hat by now!
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 5th Jul 17, 7:12 PM
    • 4,921 Posts
    • 6,148 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:12 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:12 PM
    What do you know about or are able to do that few other people know or can do?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Beartricks
    • By Beartricks 5th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Beartricks
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    Start a website selling tupperware and call it YouTub.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 5th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,376 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 5th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    Generally people have an idea and then start a business. They don't decide to start a business and then go looking for an idea.
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 6th Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    What are your hobbies and interests, is there something that you do in your private life that you could use a springboard for a business. there is no point someone saying to you, why don't you sell fishing gear if you have no interest or knowledge in fishing, as quite simply it will end in tears.

My farther in law had an interest in model trains, he set up a business doing that after taking early retirement, he had the online shop, sold via ebay and amazon, had a stall at all the model train fairs. In the end he was working 6 days a week for a lot less than min wage (an not because he did not know about business) in the end he closed it and got a part time job in a local shop working a couple of days a week.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 6th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,376 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    But seriously...

Why do you want to start a business? You're obviously not too desperate for the money as you would be happy with £100 a week. Is it for an interest, something to do now you're retired? Is it just to top up your existing pension and make life a bit easier?

I'm interested in why you specifically want to set up an online business, because there are lots of other things you could do that could potentially bring in £100 a week or more.
    • bairn7
    • By bairn7 6th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    bairn7
    There are other avenues to achieve £100 per week if it is purely the cash you are doing it for. For example, check out the matched betting forum on here. I don't use the forum but comfortably made £100 per week and have made upwards of £500 on good weeks.

Despite the name, it's not gambling!
    • Thehienz1
    • By Thehienz1 6th Jul 17, 7:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Thehienz1
    My girlfriend now works from home to look after kids and she earns more money then me haha and i work full time . If you want i can ask her?
    • Thehienz1
    • By Thehienz1 6th Jul 17, 8:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Thehienz1
    My girlfriend works from home. I know she looking for people.
    • twc58
    • By twc58 9th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    twc58
    But seriously...

Why do you want to start a business? You're obviously not too desperate for the money as you would be happy with £100 a week. Is it for an interest, something to do now you're retired? Is it just to top up your existing pension and make life a bit easier?

I'm interested in why you specifically want to set up an online business, because there are lots of other things you could do that could potentially bring in £100 a week or more.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    Thanks for your comments.

I earn just over £125 a week in the part time job I do at the moment and need to keep that bit of extra income going for the next few years.
    I want to work at hgome because i am bored with what I am currently doing and we are wanting to get a couple of dogs and there fore working from home would be perfect.

I hear of people making money from selling online and just thought as I only need £100 it would be a good way of doing this.

I am intrigued as to what could bring in £100 or more unless you actually go out and work somewhere?
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 9th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 9,334 Posts
    • 16,962 Thanks
    Pennywise
    What do you know about or are able to do that few other people know or can do?
    Originally posted by theoretica
    This is exactly the point. You won't get anywhere being a "me too" and selling the popular/easy stuff as that's just a race to the bottom and someone else will undercut you if you just plan to sell cheaper than others. You need something unique or unusual - a unique selling point. Think about your personal skills or hobbies- things that aren't easily done by everyone else.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 9th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 3,997 Posts
    • 4,346 Thanks
    robatwork
    Spend a few hours on here

https://www.alibaba.com/

Pick something you like the look of. Say

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/4F23-15K859-AA-pdc-sensor-car_60543839608.html?s=p

Import 500 then sell them for a 100% markup.

Be prepared for lots of technical queries in the case of the above - it's just an example.

This is how people on Amazon marketplace make their pin money.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Jul 17, 12:32 PM
    • 1,800 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Nothing came of it, as we are both very busy being retired - but I did consider a 'rent - a -gran' business.

Both out at work all day? Need to wait in for a tradesman or delivery but can't/don't want to take time off work?'

then... 'rent -a gran' - a retired person who will wait in for half a day/all day in return for a small remuneration.

You'll need to factor in some sort of insurance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,347Users online

Martin's Twitter