Ferry to the Isle of Wight

Which is the best ferry company to use to get to the Isle of Wight. Will be taking a car with 2 people. Probably would want the quickest route but am open to suggestions. Thanks.

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have you tried the IOW ferry discount codes thread? That could prove fruitful.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Quickest is Wightlink Portsmouth Gunwharf Quays to Fishbourne at 35 mins. In reality it's a lot longer with loading/unloading. Next is Wightlink Lymington to Yarmouth at 45 mins. Then Red Funnel from Southampton to Cowes is the slowest at about an hour.

There's no real difference between them really. Wightlink have higher frequency of ferries so you're more likely to get on an earlier one or a later one if you are running early/late.

Wightlink only has hot snacks on board, Red Funnel you can get plated food if that is important to you.
    The man without a signature.
  • Probably easiest\most economical to be guided by which port on the mainland is easiest\nearest for you - e.g. Lymington to Yarmouth is good if you're coming from Dorset, but not if you're coming from Kent
  • I recently travelled with Red Funnel to/from Southampton and East Cowes. 1 car, 2adults, same day return. £65 in total. I didn't book in advance so was pleasantly surprised.

Took an hour as already mentioned, but was fine for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure