Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dedre
    • By Dedre 5th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Dedre
    Nationwide Refer a Friend Offer
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    Nationwide Refer a Friend Offer 5th Jul 17 at 1:13 PM
    Hi,

A colleague of mine has a current account with Nationwide and I am looking at switching my current account to them via their 'refer a friend' scheme where we each get £100 for switching.

I don't currently have a current account with Nationwide, however, I do have a mortgage with them. Does anyone know if this will preclude me from the offer?

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/about/recommend-a-friend/terms-and-conditions The Terms and Conditions don't make any reference to Nationwide mortgage customers being barred from being referred for the current account. However, I can refer someone to the Flex account as I have the mortgage so perhaps I am not eligible?

Thanks
    Last edited by Dedre; 05-07-2017 at 1:15 PM. Reason: Added comment regarding T&Cs
Page 1
    • Polly05
    • By Polly05 5th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Polly05
    • 5th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    I don't think so..
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 5th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 31,631 Posts
    • 37,314 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 5th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    Ask on the referral thread , someone might know
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 5th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    No - I've done this and can confirm that having a mortgage with them does not make you ineligible for the current account switch bonus.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 5th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 6,357 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    The missus and I both had a range of nationwides products, referred each other for an account and netted £320 (she got £300 and I got £100 when they mucked up the bonus, the £20 was for, my complaint about it).
    • Don80
    • By Don80 6th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Don80
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    I can only see you're ineligible if you already have a current account - I think you would be able to get it. The best thing to do is go to the website, you get a "chat with someone" pop up when viewing their products. You could ask?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 7th Jul 17, 6:07 AM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 6,357 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:07 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:07 AM
    I can only see you're ineligible if you already have a current account - I think you would be able to get it. The best thing to do is go to the website, you get a "chat with someone" pop up when viewing their products. You could ask?
    Originally posted by Don80
    No, we both had current accounts, opened new flex direct accounts and still got the referral bonus.

As with any switch bonus people have to be careful to follow the correct process as detailed in the terms and conditions.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 7th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    As bigadaj says above, having an existing current account may not make you ineligible, so Don80's post above his is probably incorrect. I recently got the £100 despite already having an account already.

The terms have recently changed of course, so previous experience may no longer apply. The wording in the T&C (at http://www.nationwide.co.uk/about/recommend-a-friend/terms-and-conditions) says that:

The recommended friend is entitled to only one payment even if they switch more than one account to us or if more than one recommender recommends them.
    Which seems to rule out more than one payment, but doesn't explicitly mention aready having an account with them, so that suggests a new switch even if you have an account with them, will qualify. But not more than once.

The T&C also say
    If the recommender or recommended friend holds any current account with us that’s managed by our Collections & Recoveries Department, they will not qualify for this offer.
    But that's not about current accounts in general, only those in recoveries management. Which directly implies that having an existing account not in recovery (i.e. in normal use) does not make you ineligible.
    • Cozworth806
    • By Cozworth806 7th Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    Cozworth806
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    Switch code?
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    Anyone done a switch already?

Any idea what format the switch code you need to enter is in and where it is shown? Did a referral but the friend a is a bit clueless about such things

Ta
    Nothing to see here
    • PhilStation
    • By PhilStation 21st Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    PhilStation
    Anyone done a switch already?

Any idea what format the switch code you need to enter is in and where it is shown? Did a referral but the friend a is a bit clueless about such things

Ta
    Originally posted by Cozworth806
    I don't recall using a switch code, did you receive the email from Nationwide with a link and forward this to them for them to use when they apply?
    Last edited by PhilStation; 21-07-2017 at 2:57 PM.
    • PhilStation
    • By PhilStation 21st Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    PhilStation
    post 10 needs spamming , referral outside the referral section
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Apologies, not done deliberately.

Now edited.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 3rd Aug 17, 9:50 AM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 760 Thanks
    zerog
    My wife and I referred each other in 2015 or so and we got our £400.

I have read the latest T&Cs and for the current offer, a "qualifying recommendation" is made on or after 10 June 2017.

Furthermore, it says that you don't even need to open a new account, you just have to switch.

Do you think we can get the bonus again just by referring each other and doing switches?
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 3rd Aug 17, 10:20 AM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    Ed-1
    My wife and I referred each other in 2015 or so and we got our £400.

I have read the latest T&Cs and for the current offer, a "qualifying recommendation" is made on or after 10 June 2017.

Furthermore, it says that you don't even need to open a new account, you just have to switch.

Do you think we can get the bonus again just by referring each other and doing switches?
    Originally posted by zerog
    It's always been the case that you could switch into an existing account after been recommended.

Plus:

11. The recommended friend is entitled to only one payment even if they switch more than one account to us or if more than one recommender recommends them.
    Last edited by Ed-1; 03-08-2017 at 3:03 PM.
    • omega27
    • By omega27 3rd Aug 17, 11:29 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    omega27
    You use the link, then once you've applied you fill in the switch code into the same link. It comes via e-mail eg: Your Account Switch Reference Number: XXXXxxxxxxxxXXxx where X are characters, x are numerals.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,227Posts Today

6,791Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin