Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emlet
    • By emlet 5th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 11Thanks
    emlet
    Lenders - what searches?
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    Lenders - what searches? 5th Jul 17 at 1:01 PM
    Hi,

So we are in the process of buying our new house. We have had our mortgage offer/valuation been done etc. We are currently awaiting a couple of searches and for replies to inquires.

My query is, what then goes to the lender? We live in a coal mining area so will need to have coal reports done. I understand the lender will want to see these? Does the solicitor provide a report to the mortgage company on everything and then they check it? Any idea how long that takes? Our mortgage broker is hopeful that the mining results (2 mine shafts both above 5 mtr away in next door but ones house on both side) wont be an issue (and recommended Halifax for the mortgage - they actually already loan on the property apparently!).

I'm trying not to get too excited as still feel there is a lot that can go wrong.....

Thanks for any assistance
Page 1
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 5th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    Think this is all your solicitor's job.

We've had our mortgage offer through and within the terms the things they want to be met include all the searches appropriate, and they say that it's up to the solicitor to ensure we meet all of those things.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 5th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    • 55,797 Posts
    • 49,166 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 5th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    Solicitor not only works for you but acts on behalf of the lender. Just happens you pay all the fees. The solicitor will refer any matter outside of their remit to the lender for a decision to be made.
    "Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing." - Warren Buffett
    • emlet
    • By emlet 10th Jul 17, 8:49 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    emlet
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:49 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:49 AM
    Many thanks both.

So do they wait until all the searches are back and then report to the lender?

The reason I ask is that I want to get a survey done on the house. But, as I've already paid out c.£1300 I'm wary of spending another £600 until I know the bank are happy with the mine shaft issue!

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,422Posts Today

6,386Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin