Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • National Numeracy
      Verified User verified user
    • By National Numeracy Verified User verified user 5th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 50Thanks
    National Numeracy
    Do you have the skills to spot the best buy?
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    Do you have the skills to spot the best buy? 5th Jul 17 at 12:17 PM
    Here at National Numeracy, we're interested in how people's numeracy affects their financial decisions.

As Old Style Money Savers, we're guessing you're pretty good at spotting a bargain, so it would be great if you could spare 5 minutes to take our short quiz on best buys, to test how good you are at working out the best value for money.
    Official Organisation Representative
    Iím the official organisation rep for National Numeracy. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    • 60,731 Posts
    • 354,996 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    I didn't mind answering the 3 very simple questions (expected more) .... of course I got 3/3.

Disappointed I was then invited/lead to another website that all looked like a lot more commitment

I'm OK when it comes to numbers, prices, %ages, £/100g etc. You can't catch me out by sticking a red sticker on something and telling me it's a sale or a bargain
    • greatgimpo
    • By greatgimpo 5th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    greatgimpo
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    I got 3/3, went to the numeracy test, and the online form put me off - another name, somebody else wants my details - no thanks.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 5th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 9,514 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    BSc in maths.....and a lifetime of training from Mum on how to spot a genuine bargain....so I would have been worried to score less than 3/3!

When I completed the rather too easy 'test' my computer screen froze...so I wasn't sked for my details...and wouldn't have given them anyway!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 18,336 Posts
    • 46,971 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    I got 3/3, went to the numeracy test, and the online form put me off - another name, somebody else wants my details - no thanks.
    Originally posted by greatgimpo
    Me too.
    No way am I registering my details.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 23,954 Posts
    • 50,297 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    How ridiculous. You can find tougher questions at KS1.

There really can be no excuse for people taking pride in not being able to do the most basic calculations.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • National Numeracy
    • By National Numeracy Verified User verified user 5th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    National Numeracy
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    Thanks all for trying out the quiz!

The short quiz is just 3 questions and doesn't ask for any personal details to complete. However, if you do want to go on and try the National Numeracy Challenge to find out your numeracy level after this, you will be asked for your name and email address in order to register. These would only be used for communicating with you about the Challenge and your progress through it, nothing else.

The average time to complete the Challenge Check Up is about half an hour. If you do choose to continue, it would be great to know how you get on!
    Iím the official organisation rep for National Numeracy. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    • 13,977 Posts
    • 37,963 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 5th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    Isn't there just a rough rule of thumb that goes "Any time someone says the price of something is only £x that that means it's very overpriced"?
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 5th Jul 17, 6:57 PM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 6,575 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:57 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:57 PM
    I wouldn't register, and I hate maths anyway, so it's a no from me.

Ilona

PS, I am very good at textile art though.
    I love skip diving
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 5th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 33,763 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    I can spot a bargain and wouldn't hand over my personal info either

I have a 10 mtr swimming badge
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

NO-VEMBER GC £200/£164.83 thatís includes everything for breakfast, lunch, dinner for myself, DH, DS and sometimeís DD and 4 greedy cats
    • greatgimpo
    • By greatgimpo 5th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    greatgimpo
    My friend joined Mensa, I joined Densa.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 10th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 6,173 Thanks
    MandM90
    I've got an IQ of about 163. I'm a genius .... so don't need to be mithered by email telling me how great I am

At last count I had 68,000 unread emails ... because I had to register for stuff. Yes, 68,000 unread emails. And that's with gmail filtering/binning dozens/day for me.

People don't LIKE to register. People get mithered.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Completely OT, but I use unroll.me to sort out my emails. Makes it very easy to bulk unsubscribe from mailing lists, and it tidies all of the things I do want (MSE emails, phone bills etc) into one neat daily email so anything else that comes through is 'personal'. Also, it's free
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 11th Jul 17, 3:57 PM
    • 9,919 Posts
    • 106,579 Thanks
    LameWolf
    The 3 "taster" questions were stupidly easy - the sort of stuff I work out in my head every time I visit the supermarket!

Like others, I am reluctant to register and give my email address for something I don't really see as benefiting me in any way. I know I can do basic maths, I don't need to take a challenge to prove it.

If we're going with the totally OT qualifications, I have a certificate in First Aid for Dogs.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • C J
    • By C J 11th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 5,482 Thanks
    C J
    I don't think I'll be handing over my details either. Even though I have a special email address reserved solely for sign-ups and spam I still resent having my info harvested. I don't need to receive an email to let me know how clever I am - I have a first class honours degree and membership of both the Tufty Club AND the Dennis the Menace Fan(g) Club.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 18,336 Posts
    • 46,971 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Thanks all for trying out the quiz!

The short quiz is just 3 questions and doesn't ask for any personal details to complete. However, if you do want to go on and try the National Numeracy Challenge to find out your numeracy level after this, you will be asked for your name and email address in order to register. These would only be used for communicating with you about the Challenge and your progress through it, nothing else.
    Originally posted by National Numeracy
    Why is it necessary to communicate with people about the challenge?

In view of the number of posters who've said they don't want to register, would you rethink asking for names & email addresses?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    • 11,125 Posts
    • 153,516 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    As long as you can work out in your head that 12 tins of baked beans at 29p a tin are more expensive than the 4 tin packs on offer at 99p when you buy 3 of them you're OK!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    • 4,658 Posts
    • 28,095 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I did my Times tables I don't need three answers to work out the if something is priced too high not to buy it.
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • National Numeracy
    • By National Numeracy Verified User verified user 12th Jul 17, 11:03 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    National Numeracy
    Why is it necessary to communicate with people about the challenge?

In view of the number of posters who've said they don't want to register, would you rethink asking for names & email addresses?
    Thanks for your post. MSE are kindly letting us use the forum to try out different ways of letting people know about the Challenge, which is a major initiative for the National Numeracy charity (the most recent Skills for Life survey shows that around half of UK adults have functional numeracy at primary school levels, and this clearly holds back their ability to manage their money as well as possible).

The Challenge website is free but does require an email address, so that we can email participants with their results and other support (no spam). We collect names so that users can print personalised certificates as evidence of getting the Essentials of Numeracy or show their numeracy level. Both services are valued by our users (now numbering more than 100,000) but of course we appreciate that you may not wish to register on the site.

Thanks again,

National Numeracy
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 17,002 Posts
    • 101,658 Thanks
    maman
    Frankly I loathe any threads that mse conjure up so I won't be bothering to participate.

There really can be no excuse for people taking pride in not being able to do the most basic calculations.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

That infuriates me too VfM4meplse and it's often women! I think it's part of passing themselves off as dizzy, helpless females. I've never heard anyone boast that they can't read though.

I know Martin has tried hard to get financial education onto the curriculum and I know many feel we should still have cookery as well as parenting and relationships education (probably got that in the wrong order!). It's not going to happen until the government stop measuring schools by exam results only.
    • C J
    • By C J 12th Jul 17, 4:34 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 5,482 Thanks
    C J
    So 'National Numeracy' have 100,000 people who have signed up already? That's a lot of very valuable personal information.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

309Posts Today

3,878Users online

Martin's Twitter