Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cheeky-peach
    • By cheeky-peach 5th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 8Thanks
    cheeky-peach
    Cats using litter tray
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    Cats using litter tray 5th Jul 17 at 12:05 PM
    Hi all,

I have two cats (litter mates) who used to use a litter tray to do their business. I had two trays in total, both were getting used. I have a cat flap of which the cats are generally free to come and go as they please. However, I've noticed that the cats have stopped using the little trays (assuming that they are going outside now..!) and I don't want to be a nuisance to others in the area and really do want my cats to use the litter trays. It also makes it difficult if I go away as I prefer to keep them in as I have friends calling in to feed them and I don't want them to be out and get injured without me being there. Thing is, they have started doing their business on the front door mat totally ignoring the litter tray; even if they litter tray is on the door mat they aren't interested in using it. It's problematic as friends of mine are then having to clean up which isn't fair at all; especially when there is a litter tray!

How can I get my cats re-acquainted with the litter tray? Nothing has changed; litter is the same brand etc. I just want to get them back into the habit of using the trays.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 5th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    Teapot55
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    My daughter's cats used to 'go' on her door mat because they were feeling threatened, possibly by other cats coming in the cat flap. She took the door mat away & I think it stopped. Strange solution, but worth trying as a short-term fix?
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 5th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    How big is the tray ?

I use a gravel tray from a garden centre that measures 400x500mm and put coarse sawdust in it - Plenty of room for the cat to scrabble about and get comfortable in. So much so, she uses in preference to going outside even with the door wide open.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • cheeky-peach
    • By cheeky-peach 5th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    cheeky-peach
    • 5th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    Unfortunately, it's one of those embedded door mats which can't be moved easily. Not sure if I should just keep them in and keep an eye on them, putting them in the litter tray as if I was litter training them from scratch.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 8th Jul 17, 8:36 AM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 10,818 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:36 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:36 AM
    They are marking their territory, so someone else is coming in and making them feel threatened. What have you cleaned the door mat with?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,199Posts Today

6,122Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin