Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • atprice
    • By atprice 5th Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    • 39Posts
    • 6Thanks
    atprice
    0 WOW
    Christmas for One?
    • 5th Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    0 WOW
    Christmas for One? 5th Jul 17 at 11:36 AM
    Finding affordable solo holidays is hard enough, but this Christmas I'll be on my own as my mum has passed away.

I'd like to spend this Christmas somewhere away from home, preferably warm, but either all the prices are through the roof or everything's already booked up.

Does anyone have any hints, tips, websites, etc. that I can look at?

Thanks
Page 2
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 5th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    WAYT
    Gambia is not a recommendation, it's something to rule out.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Actually I have no idea. Just saw the programs about women of a certain age going there.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 5th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    z1a
    Malta at that time of year.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 5th Jul 17, 7:40 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    z1a
    Or Gibraltar.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 5th Jul 17, 7:44 PM
    • 8,271 Posts
    • 12,532 Thanks
    worried jim
    Hurgada, Egypt. The Red Sea will be very pleasant in December, I usually go late November. The Egyptian £ has been devalued so its proper cheap!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • richardw
    • By richardw 5th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 17,857 Posts
    • 7,274 Thanks
    richardw
    Or Gibraltar.
    Originally posted by z1a
    easyJet and Monarch have some great fares to GIB from MAN for late December.

Climate http://www.holiday-weather.com/gibraltar/averages/december/
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 6th Jul 17, 6:24 AM
    • 9,340 Posts
    • 5,972 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Ryanair has MAN-LPA on Friday 22nd and easyJet LPA-MAN on Wed 26th Dec
    at good prices.
    Originally posted by richardw
    That's a good deal, six days for the price of five?
    • atprice
    • By atprice 6th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    atprice
    Maybe I should give Gambia a miss this time. There are a lot of princes who need me to put USD 3 million into my bank account and I don't think I can handle that much responsibility.
    • atprice
    • By atprice 6th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    atprice
    The Ryanair flights look good. I'll have a look at accommodation and see what pops up.
    • atprice
    • By atprice 6th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    atprice
    Gibraltar is also a good shout - never been and should get a decent turkey dinner :-) Will give Egypt a miss - I had enough hassle when I went with my fella, so I won't try it on my own. It's a shame as I really liked Sharm.
    • SandC
    • By SandC 6th Jul 17, 1:41 PM
    • 3,758 Posts
    • 5,566 Thanks
    SandC
    I've booked to go away myself over Christmas. Whilst I was looking I noticed lots for Benidorm at really quite cheap prices. However, although it's mild in Spain I wouldn't think it was necessarily sunbathing weather. There were also some for Morocco to Marrakech area or Agadir that might suit. If you were going for a full week a package can work out cheaper than doing it yourself but for 5 days I would agree that you are best finding a flight and basing it around that.

:-)
    • richardw
    • By richardw 6th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    • 17,857 Posts
    • 7,274 Thanks
    richardw
    Gibraltar is also a good shout - never been and should get a decent turkey dinner ...
    Originally posted by atprice
    Cheap fares on easyJet and Monarch, leaving extra from your budget for accommodation. The weather won't be as good as the canaries though.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 6th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 2,963 Thanks
    gardner1
    Madeira is about 19/20 c in December whether you can get flights is another thing

skyscanner show EasyJet 22-26 £242
    or for flight and hotel https://www.travelsupermarket.com/?source=MS&_ga=2.153228216.1233180873.1499353390-384434228.1498563219
    Last edited by gardner1; 06-07-2017 at 4:04 PM.
    • trixie73
    • By trixie73 6th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    • 849 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    trixie73
    Have a look on jet2 holidays. There's loads on there and they include flight,hotel,baggage and transfers. If you could fly on the 21st till 26th then you could get the canaries for about £450
    I've booked to go to playa blanca lanzarote on boxing day for 5 nights with jet2 and that was £650 all inclusive

OK,sorry,my bad.£450 is the price for 2, its about £570 for 1
    Last edited by trixie73; 06-07-2017 at 10:18 PM. Reason: ....
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 10th Jul 17, 11:01 PM
    • 2,429 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Have a look for Essoria (ive probably spelt it wrong but if you type that and Morrocco it will find it) as I certainly wouldn't tackle Marrakech on my own but the e place was really nice, fixed prices and I think if I went there again Id go there in all honesty
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 12 stone then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 8lb lost 69lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    Help others by &say hello to at least 1 person a day
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 10th Jul 17, 11:02 PM
    • 2,429 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    essaouira morocco
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 12 stone then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 8lb lost 69lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    Help others by &say hello to at least 1 person a day
    • richardw
    • By richardw 12th Jul 17, 7:52 AM
    • 17,857 Posts
    • 7,274 Thanks
    richardw
    easyJet are starting Manchester-Agadir in October.

23-27 Dec from £150 ish return
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,622Posts Today

7,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin