Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arsenalfan1234
    • By arsenalfan1234 5th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 28Posts
    • 2Thanks
    arsenalfan1234
    Builder asking for too much money upfront for extension and shed builds
    • 5th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    Builder asking for too much money upfront for extension and shed builds 5th Jul 17 at 11:23 AM
    Hi all,

Can I please get some advice from you all..

I am doing a single storey extension (extending the existing lounge) with a bath/shower room in the corner on the side and a brick built shed at the back of the garden. I have been quoted £43.5k for the works, which I THINK is reasonable.

Anyway I have narrowed it down to 1 builder, lets call him "Bob". Bob has asked for a third of the amount upfront £14.5k TWO weeks before he has to start (start time is around July end, beginning August). The initial work he has to do is just digging (manually dug, because there is no access for a digger to get through)and drainage I presume. So I said to him, that I am not happy paying so much up front and he said he needs the money to arrange for skips (how expensive are skips these days!) and get the "digging done". He then wants the remaining two thirds of the payments after a month and then second month respectively. I have spoken to a few guys at work and will propose the following payment schedule, does this sound fair to you:

1) Excavation and drainage: 50% up front and remainder after building control have been out and passed it.

2) Footings and damp proofing: 50% up front and remainder after building control have been out and passed it.

3) Brickwork up to plate level and lintels: 50% up front and remainder after building control have been out and passed it.

4) Carpentry, roof, soffits, guttering, soakaway: 50% up front and remainder after completion of this work package.

5) First fix electric and plumbing (wiring and plumbing through walls, ceilings): 50% up front and remainder after completion of this work package.

6) Bonding, plasterboards and skimming: 50% up front and remainder after completion of this work package.

7) Floor screeding: 50% up front and remainder after completion of this work package.

8) Second fix electrics and plumbing (plug sockets, light switches, radiator installation): 50% up front and remainder after completion of this work package.

And 5% of the total price retained until the end of the works for any snagging.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

K
Page 3
    • arsenalfan1234
    • By arsenalfan1234 14th Jul 17, 3:38 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    arsenalfan1234
    @1080
    Thank you for all your advice and support.

"Assuming the kitchen is itself an earlier extension then technically if your proposed extension is joined to that at all (even allowing for the bathroom to be omitted) you might have problems as it will become a wrap around extension and not PD. But sometimes the Planners let that go as I don't think they understand the rules themselves half the time."
    The kitchen is an earlier extension from the previous owner. I spoke to the council duty planner last week and he advised me that if you want to build the lounge only then make sure your brickwork build does not touch the walls of the kitchen. And as you alluded to, he also mentioned that it would become part of the extension, i.e a wrap around extension. Do you think if I submit a separate application for planning permission for the area behind the kitchen for a bathroom, it is likely to be approved, or shall I just bite the bullet and create an error at the back of the 6m extended lounge for a shower, toilet and basin?
    I just don't know what I would do with that void space behind the kitchen then!
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 14th Jul 17, 4:00 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    teneighty
    Rather than tying yourself up in knots and compromising on what you really want just to try and get it under permitted development maybe you should just put in a planning application. For the sake of the application fee of £172 it's surely worth a go.

Of course that assumes that the extension does not contravene local planning guidance.
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 15th Jul 17, 8:32 AM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    That's a lot of standard building regs notes for a planning drawing!
    (I forget how lax the English regs are for uvalues on extensions and full cavity fill etc - can't remember the last time I detailed walls like that! And watch out for thermalite block in specs...)

Anyway, as suggested, get the extension design you want and then worry about which permission is required, no point in trying to comply with pd if you can't get what you want.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

9,533Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sneaky NAKED photo... ...of the room where many political and regional TV interviews are done. This is before the? https://t.co/fDdeKQOQuU

• The Premium Bond rate is being boosted from 1.15% to 1.4% should you pile in? My analysis... https://t.co/3Q7tjphAFO

• RT @colinjdunn: First #Plevin cheque received this morning - £548.66 from Nationwide & with other claims still outstanding - so thanks @Mar?

• Follow Martin