Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JamboDP
    • By JamboDP 5th Jul 17, 9:04 AM
    • 31,323Posts
    • 6,648,501Thanks
    JamboDP
    duff laptop battery help please
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:04 AM
    duff laptop battery help please 5th Jul 17 at 9:04 AM
    My laptop battery has dropped to 0% and will not charge is there anything I can do to restart it, or do I have to buy a new one.

Thanks Dave
    I do it just for fun and whatever I win is a bonus
Page 2
    • JamboDP
    • By JamboDP 6th Jul 17, 12:36 AM
    • 31,323 Posts
    • 6,648,501 Thanks
    JamboDP
    [QUOTE=WAYT;72796682]So is yours subject to recall?

Sadly no it is not one on the recall list.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 6th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Well at least you can try my suggestions, if the battery does not work after the steps above it is the protection that is preventing it being charged.

If it does not work you have your options above
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • almillar
    • By almillar 6th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 6,934 Posts
    • 2,758 Thanks
    almillar
    There's quite a few manufacturers that put a chip in their batteries to ensure their early demise
    Again, if you're going to make a claim like this, could you please back it up? Have you seen and analysed one of these chips to work out their purpose?
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 6th Jul 17, 5:17 PM
    • 3,800 Posts
    • 4,842 Thanks
    jack_pott
    I had the same problem, I've been using my laptop off the mains for the last 2 years because it wasn't worth risking a cheapo battery setting fire to the house. I couldn't find anyone selling kosher Samsung batteries so I assumed they were obsolete.

This thread prompted me to start searching again, and I found out that the type number marked on the battery is not the type number it's known by, so once I searched for the other number I found plenty of suppliers.

The new battery arrived half an hour ago, so I can now unplug without the palaver of shutting down and rebooting. Bliss!
    • JamboDP
    • By JamboDP 6th Jul 17, 10:08 PM
    • 31,323 Posts
    • 6,648,501 Thanks
    JamboDP
    So is yours subject to recall?

My laptop is eight years old and did the same thing. Rather than trying to fix it, I bought a second hand original battery for a fiver. Job done.

So if all else fails and you want an original, you can do the same: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Sony-Battery-for-VPCEH16EC-VPCEL15EC-VGP-BPL26-VGP-BPS26-VGP-BPS26A-A62-/252402104468

This is claimed to be new and original: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Original-Sony-VGP-BPS26-VGP-BPS26A-VPC-CA-VAIO-VPC-EH-Laptop-Battery-/401343540179
    Originally posted by WAYT

Just ordered a second hand battery from ebay for £25 taken out of a lap top the exact same model as mine, fingers crossed should be OK.

thanks for your help WAYT
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 6th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    WAYT
    Just ordered a second hand battery from ebay for £25 taken out of a lap top the exact same model as mine, fingers crossed should be OK.

thanks for your help WAYT
    Originally posted by JamboDP
    I guess the one to which I linked had sold out by the time you clicked through, as that was £19.99.

Otherwise £35 for a genuine original(if original) seems better value.
    • JamboDP
    • By JamboDP 6th Jul 17, 10:27 PM
    • 31,323 Posts
    • 6,648,501 Thanks
    JamboDP
    It is due mon or tues next week will let you know if it is OK.

cheers Dave
    • JamboDP
    • By JamboDP 8th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 31,323 Posts
    • 6,648,501 Thanks
    JamboDP
    Battery has arrived today and is working perfect. when fully charged it has 3hrs of use so not been used that much.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 8th Jul 17, 11:48 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    DavidP24
    First off excellent post by Neil with recall, simply enter model and serial below to see if you get a new battery

https://www.sony.co.uk/cashback/battery-program/product-validation

I think that if there is a recall you have to check that your battery is not affected.

If your battery IS affected you are advised by Sony to remove it from your Laptop immediately .

IF and only IF your battery is NOT affected then you could do the following to check that the problem is with Windows

1. Power up machine
    2. Remove battery
    3. Go to device manager
    4. Under Battery section, delete ACPI and any other battery drivers in that section
    5. Shut down the machine gracefully
    6. With power removed put battery back in
    7. Put power cable back into laptop
    8. Power up machine and let it auto discover the battery

Look and see if it battery charging progress does not improve.

It is true to say that Li batteries can be a fire risk IF one is damaged, however usually with a laptop there is a protection circuit that detects and prevents this, it may be why your battery is not charging. It also prevents the battery running down to completely discharge thus avoiding the risk of damage.

If that is the case you can still recover some cells and test with an Imax or Turnigy charger, plenty of videos on YouTube to explain this.

As for laptops not working without battery, that is not reliable advice in my opinion nor is the suggestion that 90% of laptop battery problems are the charger, these batteries follow a chemical process each time they are charged that reduces their life. They typically take about 3 years to run down but I have had some go as long as 5 years

If you want more info about your battery you can use a free utility which gives you this

It can also show a log of each charge and how long battery lasted

You can download the the utility HERE or find out more about it at link below

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/battery_information_view.html

Whilst the Chinese are renowned for bad and fake battery cells it has ironically been found that Laptop batteries from China remain the most reliable place to get decent cells that actually match the spec on their label.

You can use the above software to test new battery on arrival and get a refund if it is not of good quality.

I have used this supplier, they are Chinese but with fulfilment in the UK so you will have it within 5 days.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192157512495
    Originally posted by DavidP24

Now is the time to run the battery info view software, it may tell you the number of times it has been charged and it will tell you the current capacity.

I suspect the one I quoted above for £17 would have done just as well but you have your battery
    • JamboDP
    • By JamboDP 9th Jul 17, 3:16 PM
    • 31,323 Posts
    • 6,648,501 Thanks
    JamboDP
    Now I have got a good battery what is the best way to use the laptop, on mains when available and keep battery fully charged and only use battery when no mains, or on battery all time and recharge when required.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 9th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Now I have got a good battery what is the best way to use the laptop, on mains when available and keep battery fully charged and only use battery when no mains, or on battery all time and recharge when required.
    Originally posted by JamboDP
    Modern batteries makes no difference what you do ultimately as all batteries naturally decay and it'll be back in the same state as the start of the thread in five years or so.

The old style Ni-Mh batteries had a "memory" effect and had to be discharged and charged up properly otherwise they'd get "stuck" at a certain charge level but laptop batteries that use this will be the best part of 15 years old by now.

Your Sony laptop doesn't apply here, it'll be a Lithium Ion type, the most efficient. The only real pre-requisite is not to expose them to high temperatures.

Initially I would charge the battery up, run it all the way down and then charge it back up again. After that use it as you wish.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 9th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    DavidP24
    You can just leave the battery in the Laptop, it is not a Nicad so there is no memory effect, the circuitry will only charge when the battery has been used.

For example if you use the laptop for 30m and plug back in it will return it to full charge.

You can use the battery info view to see the impact of your use over a month.

Now you have new battery you can take apart old battery and test the cells with an imax charger to see which one was dead cell that prevented charging. The remaining batteries can be used for flashlight or vaping but only one at a time (unless they have exactly same remaining mAh,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

471Posts Today

5,131Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin