Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 5th Jul 17, 8:08 AM
    • 942Posts
    • 624Thanks
    steve1500
    0 WOW
    Croatia Split or Dubrovnik?
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:08 AM
    0 WOW
    Croatia Split or Dubrovnik? 5th Jul 17 at 8:08 AM
    Looking at Croatia next August (18) Looking at Hotel prices they seem pretty expensive for just half board etc.

Doesn't matter if we fly to Split or Dubrovnik

What are the prices like for eating & drinking out etc

Also any recommendations for either area.

TIA
    Private Parking Tickets is my way of telling the wife to use her car and not mine
Page 1
    • Laz123
    • By Laz123 5th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 900 Thanks
    Laz123
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    I can't really help much because the last time we went it was a year before they went to civil war and inflation was 300%. But I'd suggest using Expedia or similar. You can also use this site for cost of living https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Croatia&displayCurrency =GBP
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
    George Carlin
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 5th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 1,659 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 5th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    We went to Zadar a few years ago and while we were shocked by the price of hotels when we checked online prior, in practice, apartments were really cheap on the islands.

We just picked up really good, cheap, sea view accomodation from the local tourist office In that case, Dugi Otok; Long Island, but the advice about apartments being better than hotels is often repeated on the Tripadvisor forums;
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g294453-i1554-Croatia.html

Scan past posts - use the search bar for "apartments" - or post your own Q there
    • sarah69696pink
    • By sarah69696pink 10th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    sarah69696pink
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    Can't really answer your Q as haven't done Split, but did Dubrovnik last year and LOVED it - went to some lovely bars and had some great food and also did a trip to islands - don't remember it being overly pricey....
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 11th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    Dubrovnik is probably the most expensive place when you're there.

I'd recommend either Zadar and take a trip to Plitvice Lakes whie you're there (Google them!!!)

Or, stay somewhere around Pula. I went there a couple of years ago and it was beautful. Stayed in Medulin. Everything was quite cheap!
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 11th Jul 17, 11:33 AM
    • 4,523 Posts
    • 5,837 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:33 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:33 AM
    Fly into Split, stay over night somewhere close to the Port bus station, and the following morning get a bus into Bosnia & Herzegovina....Mostar is 4 hours, and Sarajevo a further 2 hours by either bus or train.

That's basically what we're doing in September, 4 nights in Mostar and 8 nights in Sarajevo. Using both as bases for day trips into nearby towns and countryside.

Comfortable B&B booked on Booking.com for 12 nights has cost £347 for 2 of us, and an apartment in Split for 4 nights close to the Port and Old Town £118. Easyjet return flights from LGW total £203.

Eating out is cheap, scenery is beautiful, friendly people, much of the country is in a time warp.....can't wait.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 11th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 12,238 Posts
    • 10,169 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    We went to Split last year, it was fairly cheap. We stayed in a big a/c apartment in a small aparthotel with pool etc, it was a bit over £100 a night for 4 of us which wasn't too expensive. Eating out was reasonable, typically under £50 for 4 of us for a 2/3 course in a decent restaurant with drinks, or about £25 or so in a pizza bar etc.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 11th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    • 12,238 Posts
    • 10,169 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    Fly into Split, stay over night somewhere close to the Port bus station, and the following morning get a bus into Bosnia & Herzegovina....Mostar is 4 hours, and Sarajevo a further 2 hours by either bus or train.

That's basically what we're doing in September, 4 nights in Mostar and 8 nights in Sarajevo. Using both as bases for day trips into nearby towns and countryside.

Comfortable B&B booked on Booking.com for 12 nights has cost £347 for 2 of us, and an apartment in Split for 4 nights close to the Port and Old Town £118. Easyjet return flights from LGW total £203.

Eating out is cheap, scenery is beautiful, friendly people, much of the country is in a time warp.....can't wait.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    We never went there but loads of people we met were raving about Bosnia - now on my bucket list!
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 11th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 15,783 Posts
    • 39,453 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    What type of holiday are you looking for? Croatia is a large country with very different places to visit.
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 11th Jul 17, 6:28 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    steve1500
    Beach for kids & general sight seeing
    Private Parking Tickets is my way of telling the wife to use her car and not mine
    • stormbreaker
    • By stormbreaker 11th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 6,016 Thanks
    stormbreaker
    Just back from Dubrovnik. We did self catering and booked Airbnb apartments. We did 3 nights in Dubrovnik, 3 nights on Korcula and 3 nights on Mljet, then back to Dubrovnik for 2 nights.

Dubrovnik old town is very small and very busy with cruise ships berthing daily.

The islands were great for relaxing. Korcula has its own small old town. Mljet has a national park where we hired bikes and cycled round the lake, stopping off to have a picnic and go swimming.

When in Dubrovnik, we took a boat to Cavat and bussed it back. It's a small resort with predominantly British tourists. You can walk round the main part in an hour. Lots of places to stop of at and swim.

We didn't find it particularly expensive but we are not catering for kids anymore ��
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,638Posts Today

8,831Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin