Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Marriage, Relationships & Families > Thinking of giving up work to go on benefits (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Thinking of giving up work to go on benefits
Closed Thread
Views: 13,927
# 1
Glen0000
Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Thinking of giving up work to go on benefits

I am a hard working man who is thoroughly fed up. It seems every month the cost of living is going up and up and I am struggling to see the point of working anymore. I hardly get to see my family and we don't have much left over at the end of the month anyway. My wife has just taken on a part time job and she is miserable and it means we are spending even less time together.

I am skint if I work, so I am thinking of giving it all up. Yes, I will be just as skint on benefits, but at least i will be able to spend time with my wife.

I have 2 mates on benefits and they have a great life. Do the odd job on the side to make ends meet. No commute, spend every evening and weekend with the family. Have lots of time to do odd jobs round the house.

Please tell me what is the point of working 40+ hours a week when Gordon seems to take every penny?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Glen0000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
bookemdano
Old 04-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen0000 View Post
I am a hard working man who is thoroughly fed up. It seems every month the cost of living is going up and up and I am struggling to see the point of working anymore. I hardly get to see my family and we don't have much left over at the end of the month anyway. My wife has just taken on a part time job and she is miserable and it means we are spending even less time together.

I am skint if I work, so I am thinking of giving it all up. Yes, I will be just as skint on benefits, but at least i will be able to spend time with my wife.

I have 2 mates on benefits and they have a great life. Do the odd job on the side to make ends meet. No commute, spend every evening and weekend with the family. Have lots of time to do odd jobs round the house.

Please tell me what is the point of working 40+ hours a week when Gordon seems to take every penny?
What your mates are doing is illegal us working people have to pay for your mates to have a great time doing jack !!!!
I know where your coming from but I personally could not sit on my backside day in day out
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bookemdano For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Sarahjovi
Old 04-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Perhaps you need to visit some of the other forums on here to see where your income and spending is going.

Theres lots of tips and help available. If you don't like your job, look for another one nearer home, that pays more money. Think about re-training.

I know it all easier said than done, but do you really want to sit at home all day claiming benefits.

Sarah
# 4
scooper
Old 04-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

what do you work as?is there another job you could maybe look at going for/change of career maybe ??

i know what you are saying but unless you do work on do ''work on the side' which isnt fair on everyone else wh does work and pay tax life on benifits is far from having lots of money,my partner has been of on incapacity benifit after several operations,and even though he shouldnt really he is having interviews to get back into a job.

another point is like mynpartner because if you do go on benifits and want to get back into work,prospective employers are not keen on someone who has been of for a while.
appreciate what you have got x
# 5
Shineyhappy
Old 04-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Why not post up your income and outgoings on the DFW board and we will glady give you some ideas on making money go further.

I do know exactly what you mean and I know of loads of people who feel the same, but it is morally wrong. I own my own place and as a technically single person with no children I am entitled to no help whatsoever, financially I struggle but have found ways to make my money go further and ways to legally make extra income ie renting out my spare room which I am entitled to do and not pay tax on as long as it falls bellow a certain amount.

Have a look at all the boards on here for ways of getting the best deals and making extra cash, matched betting, mystery shopping, cash back sites etc
Paid off: MS cc 750 Paid of OH 500 sofa 600 Lloyds cc 750 OD 2500

10% mortgage OP £356.00/£178850 by Dec 12
The Following User Says Thank You to Shineyhappy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Glen0000
Old 04-10-2007, 10:45 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahjovi View Post
Perhaps you need to visit some of the other forums on here to see where your income and spending is going.

Theres lots of tips and help available. If you don't like your job, look for another one nearer home, that pays more money. Think about re-training.

I know it all easier said than done, but do you really want to sit at home all day claiming benefits.

Sarah
It is not that I don't like my job, I don't like working!! I am on £30k+ a year, but factor in the commute, long hours, evening and weekends and the fact that we still struggle, I am beginning to think is it worth it?

I know where my money is going, petrol, taxman, cost of living in general. Yes I could cut down, but why should I work 40 hours a week to shop at Lidl and drive an old banger?

I may as well struggle, but sit on my !!!! all day!
# 7
gazza975526570
Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 AM

go on benefits then and do a few jobs on the side

Hope you get caught
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gazza975526570 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Glen0000
Old 04-10-2007, 10:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza975526570 View Post
go on benefits then and do a few jobs on the side

Hope you get caught
Get caught? You are joking aren't you? I must have reported about 8 people over the years, not one of them has been pulled up. Most of them have been" on the sick" 5+ years while still doing jobs on the side.

Thats what I mean. The govenment couldn't care less, why should I not join them?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Glen0000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
duchy
Old 04-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I guess it depends on what example you want to give your kids. Do you want them to grow up thinking that it's OK not to want to work ? Would you be tempted to follow your mates example and work illegally? How would you explain that to your kids if you do -or worse if you got caught ? Do you have the savings to carry you through the non benefit paying period if you give up your job for no good reason ? Your wife married a man who worked-would she feel the same way about you if you were regarded by neighbours, friends and family as a dole sponger ?
Lots of questions to consider. Might be better to work out where your money is going first and see if there are areas savings can be made-I bet you'll be surprised.
BTW if Gordon is "taking every penny" then your tax code is probably wrong !
I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole
[/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to duchy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Zara33
Old 04-10-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen0000 View Post
It is not that I don't like my job, I don't like working!! I am on £30k+ a year, but factor in the commute, long hours, evening and weekends and the fact that we still struggle, I am beginning to think is it worth it?

I know where my money is going, petrol, taxman, cost of living in general. Yes I could cut down, but why should I work 40 hours a week to shop at Lidl and drive an old banger?

I may as well struggle, but sit on my !!!! all day!
Oh woe is you, what a pathetic attempt, nice new username
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zara33 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
scooper
Old 04-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

if you have been on that amount of money and having it coming in the house regualrly then it will be so hard for you to go on benifits and once after maybe a few weeks or years reality hits and you are so skint like we are at the moment,and us previously not having to worry too much about money then you will be brought back down to earth

also you cant just quit your job to go on jobseekers they wont give it to you staright away,if you do you will be paid every 2 weeks and thats got to last you 2 weeks no help in between unless you have children.

same with incapacity every 2 weeks

inome support if you were entitiled is every week but not much money

you sound as if you are really unhappy at the moment but i can promise you,you and your familiy will be a lot more unhappy on benifits!!i know!!

good lick whatever you decide to do
The Following User Says Thank You to scooper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Glen0000
Old 04-10-2007, 10:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I guess it depends on what example you want to give your kids. Do you want them to grow up thinking that it's OK not to want to work ? Would you be tempted to follow your mates example and work illegally? How would you explain that to your kids if you do -or worse if you got caught ? Do you have the savings to carry you through the non benefit paying period if you give up your job for no good reason ? Your wife married a man who worked-would she feel the same way about you if you were regarded by neighbours, friends and family as a dole sponger ?
Lots of questions to consider. Might be better to work out where your money is going first and see if there are areas savings can be made-I bet you'll be surprised.
BTW if Gordon is "taking every penny" then your tax code is probably wrong !
I was on benefits when my wife met me. Was on the dole on and off for 5 years. Honestly it was a far happier time in our lives and I am beginning to wonder why I joined the rat race.

As for my kids, work doesnt seem to pay anymore. Why would I want them slaving away when no one else bothers?
# 13
dmg24
Old 04-10-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara33 View Post
Oh woe is you, what a pathetic attempt, nice new username
Good spot Zara ... seems all too familiar from Tuesday night? x
The Following User Says Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
scooper
Old 04-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

what do you guys mean?has he been on before asking the same ?
# 15
Glen0000
Old 04-10-2007, 11:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper View Post
if you have been on that amount of money and having it coming in the house regualrly then it will be so hard for you to go on benifits and once after maybe a few weeks or years reality hits and you are so skint like we are at the moment,and us previously not having to worry too much about money then you will be brought back down to earth
I now take home £400 a week after tax, ni and pension

Benefits would give us £255

Petrol and running the car costs us about £110 a week
Dentist/prescription optitions £10 a week

If I gave up work, would not need the car and free health costs.

That leaves me £25 a week better off working. That is reality.
The Following User Says Thank You to Glen0000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
dmg24
Old 04-10-2007, 11:05 AM

Is it or isn't it? Not sure ...

Nonetheless, anyone that has so little self respect as to choose to live on benefits is not worth bothering about.

Benefits are for those in genuine need, not for those that cannot be ar*** to do anything for themselves.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Zebedee69
Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 AM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Glen,

30,000 is a nice wage. !!!!ed off because you couldnt buy the latest BMW huh!!!

People like you make me sick! One of my close friends has four kids, a wife, a house and lives on £12,000 a year.

Oh and just for the record my boss contantly pays my wages late, always argues my hours and i work 50+ of them a week.

Still think your cushy 9-5 monday to friday is !!!!? And 30,000 a year bloody hell what more do you realy want?

As for your mates i pay their wages dirty scum! Id love to !!!! them with a large !!!!!

Rant Over
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Zebedee69 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
duchy
Old 04-10-2007, 11:12 AM

That's the point though Glenn has no self-respect and wants his kids to go the same way. Just another loser. Move on-nothing to see
I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole
[/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to duchy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Glen0000
Old 04-10-2007, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee69 View Post
Hi Glen,

30,000 is a nice wage. !!!!ed off because you couldnt buy the latest BMW huh!!!

People like you make me sick! One of my close friends has four kids, a wife, a house and lives on £12,000 a year.

Oh and just for the record my boss contantly pays my wages late, always argues my hours and i work 50+ of them a week.

Still think your cushy 9-5 monday to friday is !!!!? And 30,000 a year bloody hell what more do you realy want?

As for your mates i pay their wages dirty scum! Id love to !!!! them with a large !!!!!

Rant Over
If he has 4 kids and is on £12k a year he will be getting an additional £12k a year in tax credits and child benefit. He takes home more than I do!!!!

As for working 9 -5 . I wish!!! You don't get paid £30k a year if you only want to work office hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Glen0000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
dmg24
Old 04-10-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
If he has 4 kids and is on £12k a year he will be getting an additional £12k a year in tax credits and child benefit. He takes home more than I do!!!!
Zebedee did not say that he had a salary of £12K, he said he lived on £12K.

I know endless people that earn over £30K and just work office hours.

Clearly you don't have to be able to understand English to earn £30K!
Closed Thread