Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chris turner
    • By chris turner 5th Jul 17, 4:58 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    chris turner
    is there anyway to reclaim back contracted time stolen by talktalk
    • 5th Jul 17, 4:58 AM
    is there anyway to reclaim back contracted time stolen by talktalk 5th Jul 17 at 4:58 AM
    hello there - i dont know if this is common practice but i have a mobile phone contract with talktalk and they round up the usage every time i make a call to the nearest minute . so for instance if i make a call and the person doesn't answer the phone call which lasted a second , talktalk will deduct a minute of my contract instead of the actual one second . The problem comes at the end of the month when all the phone call time limits are added and talktalk then say i am over my limit and try to charge me a high price when in fact the time i have used is under my agreed limit . I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this and is there anyway to recoup money spent out on bills when they have said i have been over when in fact i have been under
Page 1
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 5th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    I think you'll find they state this in your contract, so no, you can't claim it back (but check the contract).
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 5th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    • 18,408 Posts
    • 194,941 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    Sorry, you say if the person does not answer the phone call?

If it just rings then you should not be charged at all.

If you ring a company and they answer then try to put you on to the person but that person does not answer, then the phone call timing starts from when the phone is answered.

If you are struggling to keep track of your usage download their app or check online, that is what I do with my phone.
    Last edited by Enterprise 1701C; 05-07-2017 at 8:01 AM.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 5th Jul 17, 8:05 AM
    • 7,357 Posts
    • 2,276 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:05 AM
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:05 AM
    I think that was just an erroneous example to show the point. They obviously don't understand that most mobile companies round up nowadays to the full minute.
    • Gambler101
    • By Gambler101 5th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 454 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    Gambler101
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    OP you can get a SIM only deal with unlimited minutes for under a tenner a month these days, maybe you need to move price plans.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 5th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 5,444 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    OP you can get a SIM only deal with unlimited minutes for under a tenner a month these days, maybe you need to move price plans.
    Originally posted by Gambler101
    I agree with this ^ and disagree with the word 'stolen' in the post title.

If two people agree a contract and one insists on sticking to it and one doesn't, it's not the person sticking to it that's stealing anything....

.......not sure I can say the same about the one not trying to stick to the agreed contract.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • d123
    • By d123 5th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    • 6,509 Posts
    • 4,183 Thanks
    d123
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    hello there - i dont know if this is common practice but i have a mobile phone contract with talktalk and they round up the usage every time i make a call to the nearest minute . so for instance if i make a call and the person doesn't answer the phone call which lasted a second , talktalk will deduct a minute of my contract instead of the actual one second . The problem comes at the end of the month when all the phone call time limits are added and talktalk then say i am over my limit and try to charge me a high price when in fact the time i have used is under my agreed limit . I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this and is there anyway to recoup money spent out on bills when they have said i have been over when in fact i have been under
    Originally posted by chris turner
    2 minutes on google...

Minimum call duration: calls made from the UK to eligible UK numbers have a minimum call charge of 60 seconds; then charged in 60 second increments.
    https://m0.ttxm.co.uk/gfx/help/mktg-1419_update_to_price_guide_v2.compressed.pdf
    ====
    • chris turner
    • By chris turner 5th Jul 17, 10:31 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chris turner
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:31 AM
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:31 AM
    the reason i put stolen in the title is talktalk are taking time off the contracted agreement that has been paid for and not used - the one second example is also truthful as i have taken readings from my call logs on my phone and compared them with what talktalk are saying the call lengths are , there is quite a few one second calls been made and i am losing fifty nine seconds from each one - it may seem a small amount but all the seconds off each phone call have added up to a fair amount - which in total far outway the time that talktalk say i have gone over the contracted allowance of time
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 5th Jul 17, 10:33 AM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 3,055 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:33 AM
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:33 AM
    If this is your biggest issue at the moment then life must be pretty sweet for you.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 5th Jul 17, 10:46 AM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 5,343 Thanks
    pmduk
    the reason i put stolen in the title is talktalk are taking time off the contracted agreement that has been paid for and not used - the one second example is also truthful as i have taken readings from my call logs on my phone and compared them with what talktalk are saying the call lengths are , there is quite a few one second calls been made and i am losing fifty nine seconds from each one - it may seem a small amount but all the seconds off each phone call have added up to a fair amount - which in total far outway the time that talktalk say i have gone over the contracted allowance of time
    But it isn't stolen because before you ever put the SIM into the phone you will have been told that the network charge for calls in one minute increments, with a one minute minimum, Remember you can slander a company you know.
    • d123
    • By d123 5th Jul 17, 12:23 PM
    • 6,509 Posts
    • 4,183 Thanks
    d123
    Who's fault is it that you couldn't be bothered to check the Price Guide and see what you were agreeing to?
    ====
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 5th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    Ian011
    If you want to be pedantic, there's a similar issue with text messages. You are allowed up to 160 characters per message and are charged exactly the same whether you send a message with the full amount or with just a single character.

If you change to a call plan with unlimited calls, and unlimited texts, these issues become irrelevant.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 5th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Every phone company does this as far as I'm aware.

With PAYG, some (but not all) will bill to the second, but subject to a minimum call duration - so for quick calls, customers are still losing out.
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£66.55/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £41.40/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £179.71/£120.00
    EF #170 ~ £500
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £5/£365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ £17.31/£667.95
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 6th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 5,343 Thanks
    pmduk
    If you want to be pedantic, there's a similar issue with text messages. You are allowed up to 160 characters per message and are charged exactly the same whether you send a message with the full amount or with just a single character.
    Originally posted by Ian011
    Please don't open this can of worms!
    • macman
    • By macman 6th Jul 17, 10:39 AM
    • 41,127 Posts
    • 16,874 Thanks
    macman
    Your problem is that you contracted to too few minutes. Upgrade now and it will be much cheaper than paying out of bundle rates every month.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 8th Jul 17, 11:21 PM
    • 2,877 Posts
    • 1,085 Thanks
    trinidadone
    Hello Chris Turner, and a big welcome to the site.

I completely understand your view point, however, sadly as mentioned by others, your only option is to barta for increase minutes with retention, or if your out of contract, go off else where.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
    • phillw
    • By phillw 9th Jul 17, 8:06 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    phillw
    hello there - i dont know if this is common practice but i have a mobile phone contract with talktalk and they round up the usage every time i make a call to the nearest minute .
    It is common practise, although it's not universal.

http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/minimum-charge-and-per-minute-vs-per-second-billing#Per-Second_VS_Per-Minute_Billing

talktalk will deduct a minute of my contract instead of the actual one second .
    Check the T&C's that you agreed to when you signed the contract.
    • d123
    • By d123 9th Jul 17, 9:49 AM
    • 6,509 Posts
    • 4,183 Thanks
    d123

Check the T&C's that you agreed to when you signed the contract.
    Originally posted by phillw
    His T&C's are linked to in post #7.
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

725Posts Today

8,232Users online

Martin's Twitter