Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newsgroup_monkey
    • By newsgroup_monkey 4th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 741Posts
    • 927Thanks
    newsgroup_monkey
    It's complicated! How to claim?
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    It's complicated! How to claim? 4th Jul 17 at 9:42 PM
    Myself and my ex-wife had loads of credit until we split up until about 11 years ago.
    We also had a mortgage and so on. Much of it in joint names.

Now, I'm confused if I start searching for PPI and so on, how will it work if they come back with stuff in joint names?

To complicate it more, she died and had been remarried.
    As part of the divorce, she bought me out of the house, remortgaged and I paid the debts off.

I keep reading about "How easy it is to search for PPI". Well, not when you're divorced and the debts were joint it's not!

To make it worse, there's absolutely no way I can get any help from her widower as he's disappeared off the face of the earth.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.

Page 1
    • amersall
    • By amersall 5th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    • 16,639 Posts
    • 18,676 Thanks
    amersall
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    • 5th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    If you have paperwork for these it would be easier, if not, contact the banks and ask if you had PPI in the first instance then take it from there.

As the credit was in joint names, any claim resulting with you receiving redress, would be split 50/50.

I don't know what would happen to your ex wifes share to be fair, you would not get it in any event.

There is nothing stopping you putting your claim to the bank that you had PPI (if you did) and were mis sold with good reasons as to why you think you think it was and take the 50%, if you actually win.

If you give the banks details of the credit, give both names, when the banks look at your account they will know they were joint anyway.
    Last edited by amersall; 05-07-2017 at 9:34 AM.

• newsgroup_monkey
    • By newsgroup_monkey 6th Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    newsgroup_monkey
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    Thanks. Don't get my wrong, I'm not looking to get 100%, as I said, it's just more complicated.
    I'm also interested in the C&G mortgage we had where we were forced to take their insurance.
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.

• amersall
    • By amersall 7th Jul 17, 7:34 AM
    • 16,639 Posts
    • 18,676 Thanks
    amersall
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:34 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:34 AM
    I didn't think you wanted 100%, you asked what would happen with joint finance PPI, I told you

Some MPPI was not mis sold, it could be something you had as a condition of the Mortgage.
    Hopefully someone who knows more about MPPI will come along to help.

• societys child
    • By societys child 7th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 4,330 Posts
    • 4,554 Thanks
    societys child
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    Hopefully someone who knows more about MPPI will come along to help
    A number of the experienced posters seem to be missing . . .

I'm also interested in the C&G mortgage we had where we were forced to take their insurance
    As mentioned in previous post by amersall, it could have been a condition of the mortgage, in which case it wasn't mis-sold.
    Last edited by societys child; 07-07-2017 at 1:02 PM.

• amersall
    • By amersall 7th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 16,639 Posts
    • 18,676 Thanks
    amersall
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    Where is dunstonh when you need him

• -taff
    • By -taff 12th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 7,236 Posts
    • 4,632 Thanks
    -taff
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    Let's hope he and others are back soon then.....
    • Jd23845
    • By Jd23845 14th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jd23845
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    I was in a similar position in that I'm divorced and my ex has all of the paperwork, we're not in touch anymore.

I contacted our mortgage company, a few credit card companies and our bank through resolver advising I wasn't sure if PPI was added and that if it wasn't it wasn't explained fully and most likely if done online was pre ticked.

This was about a month ago and so far a credit card company has issued a cheque for just under £800 , the bank have advised one account didn't have it but 2 did and are looking into it still as is the mortgage company.

Like I say I had zero information, didn't even have account numbers but surprisingly the financial companies concerned have been very helpful so don't be put off by having limited information.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,556Posts Today

6,990Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin