Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 4th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 830Posts
    • 109Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Still using the Halifax Reward Account, without the rewards?
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    Still using the Halifax Reward Account, without the rewards? 4th Jul 17 at 9:01 PM
    I've seen a few threads over the last few months about Halifax closing people's accounts down for numerous reasons, and I've noticed that some of the suggestions are that it's aimed towards people who perhaps have a few small direct debits set up simply for the rewards.

I currently hold the Reward account with Halifax, going out of that account is my phone bill at £40 per month, and gym membership at £20. Aside to this, my main bank account is First Direct where I have two credit cards set up for DDs, though payments have never been taken from a DD as I always pay these off before the due date. One of the credit cards I don't use anymore anyway but I'm keeping it open for now as it's my highest limit and I want to keep it on my file for some time.

I pretty much just keep £100 in the Halifax account for these two direct debits, as well as my job used to pay into that account to show Halifax I earned a strong income when applying for the Clarity card a good few months ago, but I'd transfer that into my FD account to put into my savings accounts. The £3 reward is simply just a bonus to me, it's a nice touch and I'm glad I get it, but if I was to move my finances, I wouldn't really miss it.

I've been out of work for a few months now, but I'm wanting to make a few changes. When I hopefully find a new job soon, I want the income to go into my FD account, and move my DDs over to there too as I have an overdraft facility, especially with the £250 interest free. I've only been in my overdraft once or twice over the last year that I've had the facility as I try not to use it, it's there as it should be, for an emergency.

With everything moved over to First Direct, the only reason I'd keep my Reward account open would be to pay my Clarity bills off. I also do enjoy earning cash back as Halifax promote many brands and services that I use so I would like to keep the account open.

Although would they penalise me for having a rewards account if I'm not in it for the rewards? Am I better off downgrading to a more basic account?
Page 1
    • jennifernil
    • By jennifernil 4th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    jennifernil
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    I cannot see that Halifax would be bothered, it will only be a "Reward" account if you actually get the Reward.

I have 3 Reward accounts, (plus a joint one), I am going in the opposite direction to you, I have 2 DDs on each for a very small amount going out, purely to get the Rewards. £108 per year, plus my tax refund for no effort is better in my pocket than theirs!
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 4th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 29,541 Posts
    • 17,355 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    Halifax don't do a "more basic" full feature current account these days. You don't meet the Reward T&Cs you don't get your account downgraded these days.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 5th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    Halifax don't do a "more basic" full feature current account these days. You don't meet the Reward T&Cs you don't get your account downgraded these days.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    So it wouldn't really matter if I didn't meet the criteria for the rewards as such? I will still hold money into the account but I probably won't have the income each month into that account, nor the direct debits leaving?
    • Don80
    • By Don80 6th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Don80
    • 6th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    If the only reason you'd keep the account is to pay your credit card, why not just pay it through First Direct?

If you are using Halifax for the rewards, you would be better having your 2 direct debits come out, and transfer your spending money to Halifax so that it's your "everyday spending" account. That way you would meet the eligibility and not have to think about whether to transfer money for a payment that would be in their everyday offers?
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 6th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    If the only reason you'd keep the account is to pay your credit card, why not just pay it through First Direct?

If you are using Halifax for the rewards, you would be better having your 2 direct debits come out, and transfer your spending money to Halifax so that it's your "everyday spending" account. That way you would meet the eligibility and not have to think about whether to transfer money for a payment that would be in their everyday offers?
    Originally posted by Don80
    Can I actually pay through my First Direct though? I remember previously having a Lloyds credit card who I know own Halifax but their internet banking and apps are exactly the same (apart from the different branding) and I was only able to pay through my Lloyds Current Account. And the same goes for my Halifax. Unless I'm missing something?

I know setting the Direct Debit up to my First Direct would solve the problem, though I like to pay it off before the DD is due. There might be a way of doing it but that's one of the only things that's held me back when it comes to Lloyd's and Halifax cards. I'm fairly disappointed with Halifax's service in general but it took me a long time to get the Clarity card and it's saved me a fortune on a recent European trip, so I intend to keep it. Especially when I'd like to plan a trip next Summer (unless I find something in the meantime but I'm aiming to keep my searches down)

In regards to my everyday spending, I generally do this with another credit card for points, that DD is set up to my First Direct and also my standalone payments are set up to it. But perhaps I should move it over to my Halifax and keep things the way they are

Spending is low at the moment anyway as I'm job hunting but my original thread was just planning on changing a few financial things if I manage to get myself back on track. Because the way I do things at the moment are a bit messy To me anyway. But one of the main reasons I'd like to move everything over to my First Direct is because I have an overdraft facility with them for £1000, and if I've forgotten about something coming out, there's that £250 interest free safety net there. I don't aim to purposely go into it, nor would I want to even go anything over £20 overdrawn, but it's peace of mind.

My last job I was on a very good wage and it was like pulling teeth trying to get the Clarity card, whereas I've tried just to get a £200 overdraft with them for just short of a year now. I know it's not as good and the charges are a lot higher, but this is what I mean when I'm kind of preferring all of my eggs in one basket, aka, First Direct
    Last edited by Jlawson118; 06-07-2017 at 8:56 PM.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 6th Jul 17, 8:56 PM
    • 29,541 Posts
    • 17,355 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:56 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:56 PM
    Can I actually pay through my First Direct though? I remember previously having a Lloyds credit card who I know own Halifax but their internet banking and apps are exactly the same (apart from the different branding) and I was only able to pay through my Lloyds Current Account. And the same goes for my Halifax. Unless I'm missing something?
    Originally posted by Jlawson118
    What you're missing is the information in the "how can i make a payment" section on your statement (and also on their website).
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 6th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    What you're missing is the information in the "how can i make a payment" section on your statement (and also on their website).
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    There's a way of setting up Halifax's sort code and account number to transfer that way, but I'm talking about a lack of systems in place to just set up a card on their service
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 6th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 14,003 Thanks
    Westie983
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:50 PM

I know setting the Direct Debit up to my First Direct would solve the problem, though I like to pay it off before the DD is due. There might be a way of doing it but that's one of the only things that's held me back when it comes to Lloyd's and Halifax cards. I'm fairly disappointed with Halifax's service in general but it took me a long time to get the Clarity card and it's saved me a fortune on a recent European trip, so I intend to keep it. Especially when I'd like to plan a trip next Summer (unless I find something in the meantime but I'm aiming to keep my searches down)

In regards to my everyday spending, I generally do this with another credit card for points, that DD is set up to my First Direct and also my standalone payments are set up to it. But perhaps I should move it over to my Halifax and keep things the way they are

Spending is low at the moment anyway as I'm job hunting but my original thread was just planning on changing a few financial things if I manage to get myself back on track. Because the way I do things at the moment are a bit messy To me anyway. But one of the main reasons I'd like to move everything over to my First Direct is because I have an overdraft facility with them for £1000, and if I've forgotten about something coming out, there's that £250 interest free safety net there. I don't aim to purposely go into it, nor would I want to even go anything over £20 overdrawn, but it's peace of mind.

My last job I was on a very good wage and it was like pulling teeth trying to get the Clarity card, whereas I've tried just to get a £200 overdraft with them for just short of a year now. I know it's not as good and the charges are a lot higher, but this is what I mean when I'm kind of preferring all of my eggs in one basket, aka, First Direct
    Turn the statement over and look for the internet banking details and enter them into your first direct account, making sure you put your clarity card number in the reference box.

You can pay any credit card from any bank account.

You can have a clarity card if you don't bank with the Halifax.

Westie983

** Edit the account details are
    77 29 00

If you want to set it up on the Halifax system, as per your post above, you just go into your clarity card and choose which account you want to pay from, then it will be saved in the payments and transfers.

If you want you could even do it the other way by being in your current account and choosing the clarity card.

All options covered.
    Last edited by Westie983; 06-07-2017 at 10:54 PM.
    Save 12k in 2017 #16 Total £22,555/£12,000 = 187.95%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (£410) + £0.00/£800 = 51.25% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2017 £1 a Day #6 Total £400/£365 = 109.58%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £1,600/£1,800 = 88.88%
    £2 Savers Club 2017 #3 Total (£1,450)+£50/£2,000 = 75.00%

Total £26,465/£16,965 = 155.99%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 7th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Turn the statement over and look for the internet banking details and enter them into your first direct account, making sure you put your clarity card number in the reference box.

You can pay any credit card from any bank account.

You can have a clarity card if you don't bank with the Halifax.

Westie983

** Edit the account details are
    77 29 00

If you want to set it up on the Halifax system, as per your post above, you just go into your clarity card and choose which account you want to pay from, then it will be saved in the payments and transfers.

If you want you could even do it the other way by being in your current account and choosing the clarity card.

All options covered.
    Originally posted by Westie983
    I know you can still have the Clarity card without a Halifax current account, although with you saying that, you've made me realise that I only got a current account in the first place to give Halifax an idea of my income and outgoings to prove I could afford to have the credit card in the first place. I originally signed up for the account last May, and closed it down around October time, re-opening in December for the reason I just explained.

I only discovered paying in via that sort-code and account number last night but that's definitely helping with my decision making.

Although one last question?:
    Do I need the current account to claim cash-back rewards? I know Im eligible from credit card spend, but does this need to be paid into an eligible Halifax current account?
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 7th Jul 17, 4:47 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 14,003 Thanks
    Westie983
    I know you can still have the Clarity card without a Halifax current account, although with you saying that, you've made me realise that I only got a current account in the first place to give Halifax an idea of my income and outgoings to prove I could afford to have the credit card in the first place. I originally signed up for the account last May, and closed it down around October time, re-opening in December for the reason I just explained.

I only discovered paying in via that sort-code and account number last night but that's definitely helping with my decision making.

Although one last question?:
    Do I need the current account to claim cash-back rewards? I know Im eligible from credit card spend, but does this need to be paid into an eligible Halifax current account?
    ~There is no longer a reward payment on the credit card, but if you want to use cash-back rewards by just using the credit card then you will need to keep a current account as the payments cant go into the credit card, nothing stopping your keeping the account just for the little payments, you may get.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2017 #16 Total £22,555/£12,000 = 187.95%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (£410) + £0.00/£800 = 51.25% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2017 £1 a Day #6 Total £400/£365 = 109.58%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £1,600/£1,800 = 88.88%
    £2 Savers Club 2017 #3 Total (£1,450)+£50/£2,000 = 75.00%

Total £26,465/£16,965 = 155.99%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Don80
    • By Don80 10th Jul 17, 12:25 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Don80

I know setting the Direct Debit up to my First Direct would solve the problem, though I like to pay it off before the DD is due.
    Yes, you can pay from any bank. I have credit cards but not with the banks I use (Bank of Scotland and TSB). You can usually ask for the payment date to be changed to a date that would suit you if that helps. Remember, if you pay too close to the DD date you might end up paying twice if the DD has been requested already!

I did this a couple of years ago when my work changed their payment dates, and it was easy (Sky, credit cards all ok). If you want to pay early, you can usually do that using payment details you'd find on the statement or FD online banking. You need the sort code and account number, and usually use your card number as the reference. It can be saved so you would only need to set it up once.

That would mean all your banking would be with FD

:-)
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 13th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Yes, you can pay from any bank. I have credit cards but not with the banks I use (Bank of Scotland and TSB). You can usually ask for the payment date to be changed to a date that would suit you if that helps. Remember, if you pay too close to the DD date you might end up paying twice if the DD has been requested already!

I did this a couple of years ago when my work changed their payment dates, and it was easy (Sky, credit cards all ok). If you want to pay early, you can usually do that using payment details you'd find on the statement or FD online banking. You need the sort code and account number, and usually use your card number as the reference. It can be saved so you would only need to set it up once.

That would mean all your banking would be with FD

:-)
    It's good to know that I can pay from my First Direct account then! I did have the FD Gold card for a few months for the incentive, and even though that was with the same bank, I used to pay that by doing a transfer like how everyone has explained on here

Say I wanted to keep my Halifax current account open though, as a spare account, but Halifax be alright with this even though I'm not really having their preferred income/outgoings for a reward account? As I mentioned above, I've read a lot on here over this last year about how Halifax/LBG have closed people's accounts down if they're not using them as regularly as they'd like
    • Don80
    • By Don80 14th Jul 17, 10:28 AM
    • 202 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Don80
    It's good to know that I can pay from my First Direct account then! I did have the FD Gold card for a few months for the incentive, and even though that was with the same bank, I used to pay that by doing a transfer like how everyone has explained on here

Say I wanted to keep my Halifax current account open though, as a spare account, but Halifax be alright with this even though I'm not really having their preferred income/outgoings for a reward account? As I mentioned above, I've read a lot on here over this last year about how Halifax/LBG have closed people's accounts down if they're not using them as regularly as they'd like
    Hi

As far as I know you would just not get the reward.

I think the closing issue was to do with people using the accounts purely for savings, not just not using them. I'm still confused by that, someone I know works for a bank and said that it's usually using the account in an illegal way, or something like using a personal account for business purposes. Perhaps that would be a breach of the "spirit" of the T&Cs? I'm not sure as it's usually the letter of the T&Cs that count.

They can suspend your account after 12 months if they think you don't want it, the T&Cs say "We may suspend an account, benefit or service if we think you don’t want it any more because you have not used it for 12 months, or if you are no longer eligible for it. We will give you two months’ notice in writing before doing so."
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 14th Jul 17, 3:44 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Hi

As far as I know you would just not get the reward.

I think the closing issue was to do with people using the accounts purely for savings, not just not using them. I'm still confused by that, someone I know works for a bank and said that it's usually using the account in an illegal way, or something like using a personal account for business purposes. Perhaps that would be a breach of the "spirit" of the T&Cs? I'm not sure as it's usually the letter of the T&Cs that count.

They can suspend your account after 12 months if they think you don't want it, the T&Cs say "We may suspend an account, benefit or service if we think you don’t want it any more because you have not used it for 12 months, or if you are no longer eligible for it. We will give you two months’ notice in writing before doing so."
    Maybe these people weren't using it then. I know my grandad got the Clarity card early last year but then didn't use it, and they sent him a letter about 12 months later saying if he didn't use it then they'd close it down. I do deem that side of things fair though for anybody who isn't using their accounts, why keep accounts open if a person isn't using them? It just wastes space on their databases and things. Although my grandad did visit a branch at one point and they told him to just buy a coffee somewhere with it and they probably wouldn't bother him after that about not using the card.

Anyway, I think he did use it on his recent visit to Spain.

Although I remember my ex girlfriend, I'd got her to sign up for a Halifax account to claim the incentive, and she was going to switch and stay with them anyway. She went into branch, showed proof of address and then they kept getting back to her saying she needed to come in and show it again, and again. Eventually they opened her account, sent her card and everything and a few weeks later wrote her a letter saying if she didn't prove her address in branch, they'd close her account down. She just let them close it after that, absolute waste of time. She had valid documents to prove her address.

Lloyds did a similar thing to me a few years ago when I wanted to open an account with them, but I did later discover there was a technical problem between my online application, and what was going through on their end. The automated address generator when you put your postcode in wasn't creating it properly. But I checked this on her application and all was normal.

I guess Halifax don't want many people as customers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

59Posts Today

3,878Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin