Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 1Khal
    • By 1Khal 4th Jul 17, 8:48 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    1Khal
    PAYG for kids
    • 4th Jul 17, 8:48 PM
    PAYG for kids 4th Jul 17 at 8:48 PM
    Hi folks,
    first time post
    So I got 2 PAYG phones with ee for my kids to give me a missed call and I'd call them back. Found today all the credit is gone as ee charge 30p even if you ring and hang up for 1, 2 or 3 seconds etc.(you get the jist)
    I have raised a complaint but now need to consider if there is any other network out there with whom you can call and hang up and not get charged, any ideas?
    I have 4 teens so don't want to start putting them on contracts or offer data usage while I can get away with it.
    Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 4th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 2,490 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 4th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    There's ASDA. (on EE network)

8p per minute
    4p per txt

Comes will free credit, so you can test to see if it disapears.

or there is sim only deals from plusnet or virgin, from £5 or £6 a month.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 5th Jul 17, 6:14 AM
    • 4,279 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:14 AM
    • 5th Jul 17, 6:14 AM
    If they have basic 2G phones then 1p mobile, O2 Classic and giffgaff will offer texts for 1p or 5p each.

If they have smartphones then you have the option of 3 too.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 5th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 5,743 Posts
    • 7,778 Thanks
    Farway
    • 5th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    I have raised a complaint but now need to consider if there is any other network out there with whom you can call and hang up and not get charged, any ideas?
    Originally posted by 1Khal
    Not AFAIK not just call, let it ring but not answered then hang up without charge. there is a connection charge even if no one answers

Used to work fine with landlines, three rings then hang up
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 5th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 7,513 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 5th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    Hi folks,
    first time post
    So I got 2 PAYG phones with ee for my kids to give me a missed call and I'd call them back. Found today all the credit is gone as ee charge 30p even if you ring and hang up for 1, 2 or 3 seconds etc.(you get the jist)
    I have 4 teens so don't want to start putting them on contracts or offer data usage while I can get away with it.
    Thanks in advance
    Methinks that if you've got a poor PAYG plan the last thing you should ever do is get them contracts; you'll be back on here in no time talking about how you have bills for hundreds - if not thousands - of pounds and making complaints based purely on your own lack of understanding of what you contracted to.
    • teleaddict
    • By teleaddict 8th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    teleaddict
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    If the phones are unlocked and are 3g compatable, I would suggest threes 321PAYG.
    I have these sims for my 2 kids. At 3p/min, 2p/txt & 1p/Mb data, they don't cost much to run.
    Providing you can get signal coverage where you live, it would be a good option, because the credit doesn't run out providing they make (chargable) use of the phone within 6 months
    My £2 savings total for 2007 = £92, for 2008 = £124
    My savings from money off coupons for 2007 = £67.97, for 2008 = £194.79
    My £2 savings for 2009 (so far) = £130
    My savings from money off coupons for 2009 = £593.08
    • d123
    • By d123 8th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    • 6,744 Posts
    • 4,302 Thanks
    d123
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    Hi folks,
    first time post
    I've just tested your statement using an EE PAYG sim and you are incorrect.

Simply phoning another phone and allowing it to ring does NOT take credit. I made 5 outgoing calls using the EE PAYG sim to another EE number, a Three number and a landline, I allowed it to ring from 2 seconds to 20 seconds of ringing and none of the "calls" used any credit.

I have a suspicion that your children are using the credit for other purposes and lying to you or you are actually answering the calls...
    ====
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 41,425 Posts
    • 17,050 Thanks
    macman
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    Have you considered capped contracts with Tesco Mobile?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 9th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    Yes with tescomobile you can either get a £7.50 SIMO or phone contract that can be capped at £2.50

their PAYG
    http://www.tescomobile.com/pay-as-you-go-tariffs#rocket-packs-tariff

SIMO
    https://shop.tescomobile.com/pay-monthly/sim-only/Tesco+Mobile/simonly/tariff

PAYM
    https://shop.tescomobile.com/pay-monthly/mobile-phones#phones-available?offer-type%5B%5D=paym
    • PHK
    • By PHK 10th Jul 17, 7:17 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    PHK
    I've just tested your statement using an EE PAYG sim and you are incorrect.

Simply phoning another phone and allowing it to ring does NOT take credit. I made 5 outgoing calls using the EE PAYG sim to another EE number, a Three number and a landline, I allowed it to ring from 2 seconds to 20 seconds of ringing and none of the "calls" used any credit.

I have a suspicion that your children are using the credit for other purposes and lying to you or you are actually answering the calls...
    Originally posted by d123
    Agreed or going to Voicemail.
    • Patrick Stewart
    • By Patrick Stewart 10th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Patrick Stewart
    No data
    If they have basic 2G phones then 1p mobile, O2 Classic and giffgaff will offer texts for 1p or 5p each.

If they have smartphones then you have the option of 3 too.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng

Not sure about the others but 1pMobile give you the option to turn off mobile data altogether, which would be good for stopping children's overspend there.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 10th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    • 7,718 Posts
    • 5,583 Thanks
    pmduk
    AFAIK All handsets give you the option to turn off mobile data, however some parents choose to keep it on to use the GPS function to know where the rascals are!
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 12th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    I think EE PAYG has itemised billing. So you should be able to find out how the credit was spent.
    • mongoose2009
    • By mongoose2009 12th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    mongoose2009
    no phone company charges for a call that doesnt complete

whats probably happening is that the number of ring before voicemail kicks in is set too low at 4

this would be called as a connected call

you can ring them up to set the number of rings to a higher number normally 7 or off all together
    • Herongull
    • By Herongull 17th Jul 17, 1:08 AM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    Herongull
    If you have a dual sim phone, you can get them a PAYG sim that has free calls and texts within network and then they can just phone or text you and it won't cost anything but you can still use your contract sim for other calls.

Giffgaff have free calls and texts within network but they are expensive for other types of callls.

Whitecalling have free calls and texts within network and free voicemail and are reasonably priced in other areas (but not as cheap as Three 3 2 1).

Or you could put your kids on Three 3 2 1 and let them call or text you. When you reply you can just tell them you are phoning back, so their initial call will only cost 3p.

Why are they on a PAYG sim with 30p call rates?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,771Posts Today

5,981Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin