Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pvt
    • By pvt 4th Jul 17, 6:20 PM
    • 1,342Posts
    • 1,069Thanks
    pvt
    SEAT IBIZA - Dead as a doornail
    • 4th Jul 17, 6:20 PM
    SEAT IBIZA - Dead as a doornail 4th Jul 17 at 6:20 PM
    My 2006 1.4 petrol Ibiza was rough running (though only after warming up). I took the spark plugs out, gave them a clean and checked for problems. Put them back in and now it will not start at all. Took them out again and checked the plugs and there is no sign of a spark at all when I turn it over.

Any suggestions of what I might try before I pay for a man with a diagnostics set to come round and fleece me for a list of fault codes?

Have I screwed up the immobiliser? Would it turn over at all if it was immobilised?
    Optimists see a glass half full
    Pessimists see a glass half empty
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be
Page 2
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 6th Jul 17, 10:38 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    But I just wouldn't expect the engine warning lamp to operate if the ECU was completely stiffed.
    It probably defaults to on, if it doesn't get an "I'm OK" message from the Engine ECU.
    • pvt
    • By pvt 11th Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    pvt
    Thought I would update with the outcome, and hope this is of use to someone else.

Got a grown-up to come round with a proper analyser. It showed up 7 fault codes from the ECU - the last 4 of those related to the coil packs being open circuit. He cleared all the faults and it runs perfectly now.

So it appears that (and this is his theory) that once there are more than a certain number of fault codes the ECU just shuts itself down. Even though I had disconnected the battery for 30 minutes, that isn't enough to reset the ECU.

In hindsight, what I had done is removed all 4 coil packs and spark plugs to clean them. Whilst they were out (and with the 4 coil packs disconnected) I turned the engine over to vent some throttle body cleaner that I had used. That 5 second spin of the engine with the coil packs disconnected was enough to see the coil packs missing and subsequently cause the ECU to shut itself down.

The earlier fault codes related to misfiring on one cylinder - that was the cause of the original rough running problem and resolved with a new coil pack for that pot.

My observation is that the OBDII reader I paid £27 for was useless, because it was unable to read the ECU I assumed I had a dead ECU - in practice I just had a cr4p OBDII reader.

All that remains is for me to now find the code for the radio....
    Optimists see a glass half full
    Pessimists see a glass half empty
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be
    • cypher007
    • By cypher007 11th Jul 17, 3:09 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    cypher007
    if you go on ebay or ali baba.

you can get vcds cables that will work.

latest version is 17.1.3 i think. make sure you use a good seller incase you get a bad cable.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

686Posts Today

4,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin