Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miss Heartilly
    • By Miss Heartilly 4th Jul 17, 6:07 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Miss Heartilly
    Possible return of unfriendly, bossy volunteer
    • 4th Jul 17, 6:07 PM
    Possible return of unfriendly, bossy volunteer 4th Jul 17 at 6:07 PM
    I volunteer 3 days a week in a charity shop, in which I am responsible for now opening the shop, running the shop floor (As there is nobody else in who can use the till) cashing up, banking the takings at the end of the day and doing other stuff like put out clothes etc.. I have the help of one other volunteer who is great when he's not been very reliable lately so there is times when I am on my own some of the day, sometimes all day. Then there will be days when we are overstaffed as two other people may turn in. But as none of these can use the till, if I don't come in (if i'm ill etc..) we can't open up.

Anyway, a month and half ago another volunteer (who has now sort of left.) let's call her Maureen decided to boss me around for no apparent reason. She came in unannounced one day, blanked my 'good morning' at the door and just glared at me instead (After having several weeks off volunteering beforehand) and basically told me (After i had already opened the shop and logged onto the till) to "get off the till and never touch it again" I had been doing this particular role for a few weeks and was asked by management to do so, as nobody knew if she was coming back or not as she refused to answer her phone for weeks on end.

Anyway after standing up for myself by letting Maureen know I was going to continue doing what the manager had asked me to. She started having a go at me infront of other staff members saying I had messed up the till (I didn't. The till was fine) , including a delivery guy. (who later complained to the management on my behalf about Maureen having a bad attitude towards me) I ended up walking out, pretty upset and angry at the unprovoked incident and felt as if I was pushed from my role that I was doing pretty well.

Anyhow, management had a word with her... Apparently, they know she can be bossy and just say that's how she is etc.. but it was more than that. She was being nasty and it was almost bully like behaviour. Just because I was doing her old role which she obviously wanted back.

Since that day, she hasn't been back which was over a month ago. But management are apparently keeping her position open. God, knows why as not many of the other volunteers are upset that she's gone, and since she's been gone everyone has had more freedom to try new things with the shop ie window dressing, and sorting through the donations without her trying to control every aspect of it. Morale is much higher as we all muck in together nobody bossing anybody else around.

My problem is I have heard rumours of her possible return and I am gutted to be honest. When she comes back the atmosphere is going to be unbearable, she will try bossing us all around again and will refuse to remove from behind the till to stop anybody else from using it. She'll try and take over and run it the old way, which is all her way. with nobody else having a say in anything... That's how controlling she is. I will lose all the responsibility I currently have, even though she let the shop down by being absent for a month and half and if it werent for me the shop would of lost alot of money as it wouldn't of opened up.

I am unsure of what to do. As I really do enjoy this volunteer work and don't want her ruining mine or any other volunteers experience.
Page 4
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 13th Jul 17, 7:41 PM
    • 1,700 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    What????? I said I would see if the manager had any vacancies not they would be recruited, what I would expect to happen as an extremely professional and highly competent manger is this. OP tells me where they are based, I see if we have a branch in their area, if we do I ring the manager and ask if they are recruiting, if they are I will say there may be someone interested , I let the OP have the phone no of the shop, she rings the manager and arranges to come for an interview, she fills in the application form and has an interview, based on whether or not the manager feels they are a good fit, have the required skills and can do the hours and days required the manager either recruits or they don't - OK
    Originally posted by Londonsu
    And you'd tell the manager you found this person posting anonymously on a website about all the problems they were having with their manager and their fellow staff? Do you think that manager would think you'd acted professionally and thank you for it?
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 13th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    I'd suggest telling the charity that you are worried about shoplifting, and some CCTV would be useful ; that makes it all above board.

Making your own recordings might well be illegal, but what if a forgetful person was making a recording for themselves, and forgot to switch it off ?
    • Londonsu
    • By Londonsu 13th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 2,837 Thanks
    Londonsu
    And you'd tell the manager you found this person posting anonymously on a website about all the problems they were having with their manager and their fellow staff? Do you think that manager would think you'd acted professionally and thank you for it?
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser

FFS it would up to the OP to tell the manager what problems she was having - all (as I said in my last post and I suggest you read it again) I would say that there may be someone interested I have had the same scenario myself you know that's why I know what I am talking about, I had a volunteer that came from another charity and had problems she was very upfront about it and I had heard from other people that she was difficult, I took a chance guess what 5 months ago she was promoted to assistant manager, she was my best volunteer and was my first choice for the paid position.

You seem to have a problem about people doing what I do being classed as professional - seriously ? what job do you do that is so amazing and so professional??? I really would like to know
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 13th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 5,535 Thanks
    sangie595
    I'd suggest telling the charity that you are worried about shoplifting, and some CCTV would be useful ; that makes it all above board.

Making your own recordings might well be illegal, but what if a forgetful person was making a recording for themselves, and forgot to switch it off ?
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    Since the OP says that the shop isn't breaking even anyway, why would the charity wish to spend money on CCTV? And besides which - what will they be recording? The OP breaking into a locker that appears not to be hers? The OP complaining about someone stealing without a shred of evidence to support that?

This thread is way out of control. We started out with a volunteer who might return, who the OP did not get on with, and from there it has spiralled into an international criminal conspiracy without any evidence at all, in which everyone but the OP is "in on it" somehow. What this comes down to is a row about who is more important as a volunteer and who gets to sit at the till. Frankly, in the charity's shoes I'd shut the shop and BEG the volunteers to go and work for another charity! It sounds more like a second hand version of Fawlty Towers than a professional set up.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 13th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 1,700 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    FFS it would up to the OP to tell the manager what problems she was having - all (as I said in my last post and I suggest you read it again) I would say that there may be someone interested I have had the same scenario myself you know that's why I know what I am talking about, I had a volunteer that came from another charity and had problems she was very upfront about it and I had heard from other people that she was difficult, I took a chance guess what 5 months ago she was promoted to assistant manager, she was my best volunteer and was my first choice for the paid position.

You seem to have a problem about people doing what I do being classed as professional - seriously ? what job do you do that is so amazing and so professional??? I really would like to know
    Originally posted by Londonsu
    I don't have any problem at all accepting that people doing your job are professional and competent. I only take issue with the idea that somebody who would start foisting people who'd complained about stuff on a website onto their colleagues as potential hires is professional and competent. Especially somebody who has given plenty of indications in the course of the thread that they are not exactly the catch of the month. I don't judge all charity shop managers by you at all, just point out that you are a bad representative for them.

I am in software development if that makes any difference.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 14th Jul 17, 12:00 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 3,340 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    Then you would probably get away with it if you deleted the recording and didn't tell anybody about it. If you tried to use it to get a colleague in trouble, then regardless of what happened to the colleague you would be sacked and could find yourself prosecuted for bugging. I don't know if the evidence would be admissible in court but even if it was it wouldn't help you much.

Anyway, we're talking about a surveillance camera set up above the till to record Maureen, not a mobile phone in the pocket with its microphone on. There is no plausible "oops I set up a hidden surveillance camera in my lunch break and forgot to take it down" excuse.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 15th Jul 17, 12:45 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    if you deleted the recording and didn't tell anybody about it
    The OP would at least know if her suspicions were well-founded.
    The trick with cracking Enigma, was to never reveal it had been done ; so any information it provided, had to be "found" again by some other method - but at least they knew where to look.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,516Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin