Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 4th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 131Posts
    • 721Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    Uphill Struggling: one woman's mission to get her head out of the sand
    • 4th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    Uphill Struggling: one woman's mission to get her head out of the sand 4th Jul 17 at 5:02 PM
    Hi and thanks for clicking! I'm Uphill Struggler and this is my story.

My story starts a long way back. I won't go on too much as I've come to realise time is precious, for you and for me, and my laziness in not facing my debt problems was mostly down to poor time management. I'd just like to keep this thread as a means of tracking my progress and holding myself accountable for the financial decisions I've made.

As a teenager I was so careful with money. At uni banks offered me overdrafts and credit cards left, right and centre, but I refused. One day, when I was feeling the student baked-bean pinch, my then boyfriend encouraged me to apply for an overdraft, and from there it went downhill over the next thirteen years. Living well beyond our means, not budgeting, wanting everything now, being reckless with all the credit that was handed to us on a plate - you name it, I was stupid, had my head firmly in the sand. But we didn't have anything to show for it. Salary went straight to paying off cards and the mortgage. Nothing was left, only to borrow from Peter to pay Paul. It was a miserable existence.

Things came to a head in 2013. I couldn't afford to keep up repayments. How I wish I hadn't struggled so much to pay every penny I owed! Had I defaulted earlier the debts would be off my file now. But I stuck with the repayments (using the snowball method) - mostly for pride but also because in my heart of hearts I felt I could cope.

I couldn't cope. No-one knew about my situation. I felt ashamed. Admitting it to family was a great relief, yet extremely painful. I approached Step Change and received excellent help. My new partner was incredible and assisted me in ways I could never have expected. Again, telling him was very difficult and I expected the worst.

Now I'm in a much better situation. I still have moments where I feel deep shame for my actions and decisions, but I've worked to turn things around and now have a better-paid job and have gone to the other extreme with my financial matters, thanks so much to this site and the DFW forum. I'm a serial budgeter and check my accounts daily.

I still have one credit account open and pay the amount off in full by DD every month. But I'm still a debt-free wannabe. I still have a long way to go until I can fully get over the experience I've been through and the ties that come with that. Which is why it's so important to me to keep track of my finances and my lifestyle.

Today's head out of the sand actions:
    *closed a non-used cash card account and paid remaining balance to CC
    *added work expenses to Excel spreadsheet
    *check Money Dashboard
    *quick budget reshuffle

Thanks for reading!
    US
    Emergencies account: £200/500 CC (20/10/17): £652.50
    Groceries Nov 2017: EUR13.56/120 NSD Nov 2017: 1/10
Page 1
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 4th Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    • 4th Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    Nice day here. I've been on call for work all day so somewhat chained to the apartment! Just popped down the road to A*di for my week's shop: £15 all in; not bad. Must try not to spend bits here and there over the next few days.

I've closed down my prepayment debit card account as I've paid off the creditbuilder loan on it. I paid the remaining balance to my credit card. It all helps.

Going to make some dinner now and do a couple of chores before relaxing in front of a movie on my laptop.
    Have a nice evening everyone.

US
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 4th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 4,279 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    • 4th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    Hiya and welcome to the madhouse
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 4th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    • 4th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    Thank you!
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 4th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 4,661 Posts
    • 8,820 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 4th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    Well done for turning your situation around and sorting out your finances. Is that right that you have no credit card/unsecured debt now?
    4 weeks to go until early retirement in December . Debt free and mortgage free.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 4th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    • 4th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    Hi and thanks! I have one credit card I use for the points, so I spend on that and pay it off in full every month.
    US
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 48,510 Posts
    • 178,511 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 10th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    Thanks, beanielou!
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 10th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    Good DFW weekend for us this weekend. Went to a number of events but limited ourselves to one drink (and loved the lack of hangover!) and ate our own food too.

Today I will/have:
    *check accounts
    *check recent payments and add to spreadsheet
    *food from stores
    *avoid expensive supermarket! Do not go there!
    *clean flat

Have a lovely day, everyone.
    US
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 17th Jul 17, 10:27 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    Back from a weekend away. Great to disconnect and spend some quality time with my other half.

Back to business today!

Today I have/will:
    *check accounts
    *shred old credit builder card for closed and repaid account
    *check credit file
    *work, work, work!
    *think about passive income sources

Hope everyone has a good day,
    US
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 7th Nov 17, 10:38 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    So I'm back and haven't made a very good start to this diary, really. Never mind. Onwards and upwards!

I'm trying hard at the moment to change my mindset from thinking about debt (which has undoubtedly left its effect) and moving more towards opportunities for moneymaking. I've been working on a stream of passive income, but I seem to stall each time I try to put an idea into practice - probably for fear of failure. So this November I'm going to work on overcoming that fear and actually getting the wheels in motion. My idea is an ebook related to a previous area I worked in. I've been working on the planning stage and have written around 3,000 words, but each time I write my brain goes off at a tangent on another related subject and I must limit myself to just one topic.

I've spoken to my accountant and he's given me a breakdown of costs for managing the venture, so that's all ready to kick off as and when.

In other DFW areas I'm being much better at checking my accounts and staying on top of payments - and actually planning for when they will be taken. I'm putting a small amount into a savings account each month. I still have some outstanding money owed to my OH, which I will try to pay off at least in part this month.

I set myself a groceries target last month and met it; a big part of this was making up decent lunches for work each day. I'll lower the target this month. I also met my NSD target, so will try to raise that in November. Not doing so well so far - think I've managed 1 this month.

Today I will:
    *check my accounts done
    *meals from stores breakfast smoothie, lunch salad, dinner salmon defrosting
    *do a meditation track from my phone app
    *post a few eBay items done and PayPal balance paid to bank account
    *bag of clothes to charity shop - getting this ready now done
    *November budget
    *passive income stream - write 1,000 words and hone title
    *OH packed lunch for work done
    *gym done

That's it for today. It won't be a NSD as I have to pick up a couple of presents from town. but they will be MS.

Happy DFW activities,
    US
    Last edited by uphillstruggler; 07-11-2017 at 3:26 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,579Users online

Martin's Twitter