Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cookie334
    • By cookie334 4th Jul 17, 4:32 PM
    • 232Posts
    • 1,229Thanks
    cookie334
    Zafira Immobiliser Fault
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:32 PM
    Zafira Immobiliser Fault 4th Jul 17 at 4:32 PM
    Hi there

Looking for a wee bit of advice. I bought an 05 plate 1.6 petrol Zafira last year. I only got the spare key with the car and the central locking has never worked. The radio does not turn itself off, has to be physically switched off before I get out of the car. Neither of these were a huge problem. But intermittently the engine management light flashes when I try to start the car and it won't start. Most of the time if i leave it 5 minutes and try again it will start. Sometimes though it will not start at all. The first time this happened, I had the garage come pick it up and they got it started, charged me £150 for the privilege and told me it wouldn't do it again. The second time, I did some research and the code came up that there is a communication failure between the key and the immobiliser. I tried to reconnect them but it didn't work so phoned a guy who came out and was stumped but disconnected the battery and it started. So now I'm carrying a spanner round with me at all times and have had to disconnect my battery in some annoying places. But now my boot has locked itself! And obviously since I have no central locking, I can't unlock it.

It's going in for mot tomorrow and will obviously fail due to boot not opening but I've been advised a few different things by different garages as to what needs done... New ignition barrel, new key etc but no one seems to know for sure and I can't afford to be paying hundreds on the off chance it's gonna fix it. I need to know.

Has anyone ever had this? Or does anyone else know what I could try/check before it goes to garage. To me, the new ignition barrel doesn't make sense as the central locking isn't working 😕

I should point out that I'm female and don't have a clue about cars so dummy terms would be helpful.
    Started comping 29/10/2010

WINS: 29/10 - bag of Skittles , Max Factor make up

Restarted Comping June 2011 - June wins: Cushelle Koala, Starbucks book and £5 card
Page 1
    • khcomp
    • By khcomp 4th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    khcomp
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    It won't fail because the boot won't open, but may fail because the examiner might not be able to inspect the boot floor for corrosion, etc.
    If the key isn't communicating with the car, it's very rarely because of the transponder ring - that's the receiver by the ignition barrel that detects the transponder chip in the key. As you have rightly said, the ignition barrel is obviously OK if the key will physically fit & turn in the ignition.
    I would suggest biting the bullet & getting a new remote key cut & programmed to the car: You'll just have to shop around for a decent price, which shouldn't be too difficult as the Vauxhall diagnostic software (or copies of it) is pretty widely available - I've seen new keys for £20 complete, around £10 - £20 to cut the key to fit and programming can be as low as £20 if you can find someone local.
    • cookie334
    • By cookie334 4th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    cookie334
    • 4th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    Brilliant, thank you so much for your reply. I didn't think it would fail with the boot locked but when I asked yesterday when booking the MOT the garage said it would. The whole reason I asked was because if it would I was going to get a locksmith BEFORE the MOT as the last garage said they wouldn't do it and that I'd have to get a locksmith. It would be easy enough to check the boot through the back of the car, with it being a 7 seater access is easy enough but I suppose it's whether or not they're willing to do that.

I'm almost certain it's the key so the fact you've said that has given me a bit more confidence that that will resolve the issue, thank you. Will look into that just now 😊

Thanks again for your help.
    Started comping 29/10/2010

WINS: 29/10 - bag of Skittles , Max Factor make up

Restarted Comping June 2011 - June wins: Cushelle Koala, Starbucks book and £5 card
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 4th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 12,993 Posts
    • 8,223 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 4th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    Mot tester doesn't need to open the boot to inspect for corrosion. He'd look underneath and in any case unlikely to be within prescribed limit of suspension components, so no fail
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,489Posts Today

4,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin