Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • androidguy
    • By androidguy 4th Jul 17, 4:05 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 2Thanks
    androidguy
    Cheap Car hire?
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:05 PM
    Cheap Car hire? 4th Jul 17 at 4:05 PM
    Hi everyone,

Our car has died and we need to buy a new one. Meantime, I need to get the kids to school, swimming, cubs, tennis, cricket.....so I'd like to hire a care for a week or so.

Where's the best place to hire something cheap? We are in Sutton Coldfield. Your help is most appreciated

John
Page 1
    • khcomp
    • By khcomp 4th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    khcomp
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    Ebay, Facebook, Gumtree - buy something cheap, use it for a couple of weeks, then sell it again.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 4th Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    • 4,046 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    For general hire i find Sixt and Thrifty quite cheap
    • androidguy
    • By androidguy 4th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    androidguy
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    Ebay, Facebook, Gumtree - buy something cheap, use it for a couple of weeks, then sell it again.
    Originally posted by khcomp
    I hadn't thought of that - I might do so! Thanks!
    • khcomp
    • By khcomp 4th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    khcomp
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Suzuki-Wagon-R-1-3-GL-R-5dr-/292172223652?hash=item4406d254a4:g:PJMAAOSwLsBZQQ3 n

Do you for a couple of weeks...I bought a Wagon R four years ago for £300, been utterly reliable and the current wife loves it!
    • androidguy
    • By androidguy 4th Jul 17, 4:38 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    androidguy
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:38 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:38 PM
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Suzuki-Wagon-R-1-3-GL-R-5dr-/292172223652?hash=item4406d254a4:g:PJMAAOSwLsBZQQ3 n

Do you for a couple of weeks...I bought a Wagon R four years ago for £300, been utterly reliable and the current wife loves it!
    Originally posted by khcomp
    Thank you - it might be just the thing!
    • khcomp
    • By khcomp 4th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    khcomp
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    I know it looks like a shoebox (I regularly hear cries of 'here comes postman pat'), but for lugging the kids and shopping around, and ease of driving & parking, they're great!
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 4th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 4th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    Another vote for buying a banger, when my car died rather than hire a car spent £1000 on a banger, ending up using it as a replacement for 2 years then sold it on for £550. Spent under £500 during the 2 years including tyres repairs and mot. Works out at £40 a month for depreciation and maintenance. Not quite the cheapest car I owned but not far off the record was £18 a month over 3years.
    • pvt
    • By pvt 4th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    pvt
    • 4th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    If it is just for "a week or so", then may I suggest you try looking on the rental brokers' websites. Argus; Auto Europe; Carhire 3000; Affordable Carhire; to name but a few.
    Optimists see a glass half full
    Pessimists see a glass half empty
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 4th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 1,779 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    £129 for cheapest one in Birmingham with AutoEurope for a fortnight.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 4th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    • 909 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Why don't you just tell the kids they'll have to do without their activities for a week or two? I'm sure that some of them are actually within reasonable walking/cycling distance anyway if the parents in my town who drive their kids everywhere despite the place being no more than a mile square are anything to go by.
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 5th Jul 17, 7:20 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    I always check rentalcars.com and holidayautos.com. Add excess insurance from direct-carexcess.co.uk (about £42 for an annual policy IIRC).
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 5th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 4,372 Thanks
    Mobeer
    For just a week, can't you put up with public transport?
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 6th Jul 17, 12:27 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    rhysadams
    Short Term Car Leasing might be an avenue, there are a few companies out there including Thrifty and Short Term Leasing - You can get a Fiat 500 for £240 per month.
    • androidguy
    • By androidguy 7th Jul 17, 3:52 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    androidguy
    OK, thanks for the tips, everyone. The rental.com one was really good,in particular. You can hire a small car quite cheaply. It's all become very complex with where the new car we've bought needs picking up from and where the hire car places are. The kids and I cycled to school this morning (Yaaa! Ambition achieved) and it's cheaper / easier to use a taxi for a couple of journeys on Monday / Tuesday when I can then pick up the new motor.

Thanks again, everyone, it was really helpful

John
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 7th Jul 17, 9:19 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    JP1978
    If you book via a booking agent then you may have limited miles. Book direct for unlimited (generally - check the T&C's)

Green Motion are cheap (Near airports generally) but make sure you have seperate excess insurance (regardless of any company you use)
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 8th Jul 17, 3:20 PM
    • 9,559 Posts
    • 6,952 Thanks
    Crabman
    Info on car hire excess insurance (as well as car hire generally) in the article:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire#insurancetrick
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• John123john
    • By John123john 9th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    John123john
    Another vote for Carhire 3000. Have used them several times without a problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,734Posts Today

7,724Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin