Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 4th Jul 17, 3:27 PM
    • 298Posts
    • 312Thanks
    trixiepix
    Struggling to stay on the financial straight and narrow
    • 4th Jul 17, 3:27 PM
    Struggling to stay on the financial straight and narrow 4th Jul 17 at 3:27 PM
    Hi all,

I rumble around, disappear for a spell then bob back in when I need advice and you all are always are so supportive and helpful.

So, the back story is,
    I'm very grateful to have cleared my thousands of pounds worth of debt (Phewwww!!!) and for a spell, wonderfully rested and sound sleep filled nights became the norm but it didn't last.......

I am lucky to have a little in savings but I realise more is being taken out and less being put in as I still haven't changed the way I look at spending, if I want something the spending demons in my head always seem to justify my reasoning to spend - Any one else with the same issue?

CATALOGUE - £500
    WEIGHT LOSS - 10 of 65lbs
    SAVINGS £500 of £2500 by 2018
Page 2
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 11th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    trixiepix
    So there's been much pondering over the last few days.....

I'm thinking with an 'all or nothing' mind set, which for my sins I most definitely have going on, I need to start small rather than set unrealistic, unattainable targets.

I've just to check my bank balance (scary next job to do!!) but I know I'm going to be over what I should have spent but need to deal with it by tweaking the rest of the month - unfortunately I've got to find £220 by the 30th to pay for something I've ordered but can split it between this and next paydays but had originally hoped to have it all by the end of this month, i need to be honest with myself and realistically i know i wouldn't have saved it.

So, starting small........

I get paid well for my job but there's no margin for adding anything else in there as already work full time, no overtime available and salary review not due until next year.

I sell on Ebay, odd bits and bobs that are no longer used or have been outgrown and over the years it has mounted up to over £12,000 (in 12 years I must add!!) but of late things don't seem to be selling as well & i need to sort remaining items for sale that are in the attic.

My goal will be to sell enough to total £10 a week after fees have been deducted so have to TRY to find the time - where there's a will there's a way!!
    Along with continued menu planning (which i started around 3 weeks ago) that will be enough to keep me occupied for a few days!!

CATALOGUE - £500
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 12th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    trixiepix
    Well a sunny day makes for a brighter mood for sure.
    Would be great if it could brighten the finances but that will definitely be a slow burn!!
    NSD so far, although I did need to drop a few pounds onto DD1's account for college lunches but I'd already accounted for that.

Lunch today was last nights leftovers & some bits and bobs brought from home - I'm choosing to stay in the office at lunch rather than bob out to the shops as I always manage to see a 'must have' or decide to buy lunch, so hopefully this will prevent unnecessary spending plus give me the opportunity to update on here.

Baby steps and all that......

CATALOGUE - £500
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 14th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    trixiepix
    Well the week is whizzing by, grateful but can't believe it's Thursday already.
    I can feel the seasons changing, condensation on the car in the mornings, slight nip in the air & thoughts drifting to winter days & all things Christmassy!
    Anyway, back to reality ☺
    So, Ebay sales have been meagre so far this week with a £1.99 sale!
    Had to do a bit of a top up shop last night as had to stock up on a fair few bits and bobs - £28 later I'm now stocked!!

Music lessons for DD2 paid today so although paid I'll be splitting it in my budget over the next two weeks, so both forthcoming weeks will be £50 down - feel so much more in control by planning such expenses as normally I'd just pay it now and worry about it later, much later, hence why the drama with finances !!
    Transferred £5 to both DD's for school lunches, as although they take packed lunches all week on Fridays they have lunch at school/college , I don't need to top up every week, probably 2 maybe 3 x £5's per month. I know it's an expense I needn't have but I don't want my unfortunate financial habits impacting on them.
    As for me Jacket potato left overs for lunch and mushroom omelette and salad for dinner this evening - stayed in the office everyday this week and haven't needed to get any money out of the cashpoint and haven't spent anything unnecessarily, so definitely a step in the right direction.

CATALOGUE - £500
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 15th Sep 17, 12:25 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    trixiepix
    Sooooooo glad it's Friday, stinking cold has descended ready for the weekend, so a tad sniffley at the mo!!

So last night's dinner was all of the little bits that end up pushed to the back of the fridge and then on shop day tends to move from the back of the fridge to the recycling as I've forgotten its there!!
    Mushroom omelette with a grated chunk of cheese left in the pack ahead of opening a new one, potato salad made with salad potatoes, finely chopped raw onion, dried mint and mayo, scrummy!! - salad with a lettuce that would have had the last rites today, tomato that needed to pop to the gym to firm up and a mish mash of other bits, radishes, cucumber, gherkins, olives and some of the onion used for the potato salad - was really filling and felt very virtuous - think I'll have enough left lurking in the fridge to cobble something else together for this evening without even looking in the freezer (which is looking very full with meals made specifically for quickness tucked away in there)
    Spends so far today - had a £10 Argos voucher than needed using shortly & also needed some bedding so ordered a new sale set for £9.71 once the £10 had been used - quite happy with that as it's within the restrictions of my 'through the week' money.

Need to go to the cashpoint later as need sport club money for DD2 & being treated to lunch by my lovely mum, just need to keep on track over the weekend!!!
    Last edited by trixiepix; 15-09-2017 at 12:30 PM.

CATALOGUE - £500
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 21st Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    trixiepix
    I'm a tad scared to look at the bank balance today!!

I've still a week til payday and I know it's not going to be pretty!!
    I'll never learn I don't think!!

Not feeling particularly upbeat today, I tend to be a bit of a glass half full type but today life is laying a little heavy.
    I need to 'overhaul' a couple of areas that I know knock my confidence, weight and money being the two 'heaviest loads' (pardon the pun)
    I'm 10lbs closer to my goal weight but still 55lbs to go - bit of a mountain to climb !!
    And as for the money situation I'm looking for an instant fix but that isn't going to happen and again feels a bit of a mountain!

Anyway, time to think and try to see the woods for the trees.

Onwards and upwards!

CATALOGUE - £500
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 21st Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 5,264 Thanks
    117pauline
    So my suggestion would be go back to basics.

- Spending diary

- Batch cook/menu plan

- Congratulate yourself on the 10lb weight loss

I get the impression that you are feeling overwhelmed and that you are reaching the F~~~~ I~ point too many times a month.

Pick something you really want to change and come up with some ideas that might help you stick to it over the month.

As a last idea, how about having some tins of soup or something similar plus crackers for those forgotten lunch moments

Keep going. It will get better
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 25th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    trixiepix
    Thank you Pauline for wandering through & your words of advice xx

So, I'm not sure if I've had my LBM!!, I've been poorly for over a week & think the stressing about the situation allowed a sneaky bug to creep in, it's meant some 'time out' as was feeling so rough but also allowed me some thinking time.

The overwhelming feeling of failure & being scared even made me think about my actions and re-evaluate situations of habit which have cost me dearly over the years.

1. I must get used to saying NO

2. I need to curb eating out (which has become too much of a habit)

3. I need to stop listening to the 'little voice' that tells me 'it'll be alright' and pay more attention to the knot in my tummy which is screaming 'oh no it won't' !!

4. I need to be accountable and take responsibility, I can't blame anything or anyone else - it sits firmly with me (making me squirm even writing it!!)

Now to devise a plan to enable me to implement the changes, just one thing at a time as too overwhelming to think of all the life choices & behaviours I need to 'tweak' !!

xx

CATALOGUE - £500
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 26th Sep 17, 1:39 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    trixiepix
    So where does all the money go???
    I thought considering I'm being very grown up and brave I'd delve into the online statement & firstly look at how much has been spent in the last month on both eating out & food store shopping.

In my head my budget for food shopping weekly should be around £70, I was mostly having a laugh with myself as the scary reality of what I've spent since the last pay day is an absolutely shockingly obscene £729.96p - I did buy some Chocolates for Christmas gifts as they were on offer but this only amounted to around £25/£30.
    Averaging out over the last 4 weeks it's an unbelievable £175 a week - what a waste & I couldn't even tell you what I've had to show for it!!
    Eating out proved to be another huge shock, the odd Mcd's here and there with DD's, coffee & lunch with friends etc. has amounted to (again over the last month) £395.60
    HUGE SHOCK!!! I truly have had my head in the sand & knew I should be able to save £500 per month at least, I can now see where I've been going very, very wrong!!

Next move, stick to a budget!!

CATALOGUE - £500
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 27th Sep 17, 1:33 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    trixiepix
    So after yesterdays shocking reality check about food shopping & eating out I now completely realise I need to keep tight reins on this months budget (and every other month after....)

Payday is imminent & I need to not have the 'Woo Hoo it's payday I can spend, spend, spend' outlook & now try to shift getting the same kick from saving rather than spending.......may need to work on that ☺

I'm currently £39.30 overdrawn, I've a refund due back in amounting to £15 but I've also had a £5.49 spend at Mcd's (Promised DD2 we'd pop in and had hoped it would be covered by the fiver in my purse but went over so had to pay on my card) also had to buy a few foodie bits (I don't know why in light of the blinking food shopping bill!!!!!!), again had hoped it would have been covered by the same fiver but was £5.62 so on the card again, had also to buy a birthday gift which was £5 , so the refund more or less covered the spends but still means I need to absorb the original overdraft figure - think I'll split it over the 4 weeks of the month, £10 per week.

I'm going to allow myself £200 per week to cover food, petrol, bus pass, pocket money for DD's & 'other' within the 'other' I want to buy 1 Christmas gift per week & put £5 away towards my next hair cut/colour. I need to strictly keep to a food shopping budget to make it work otherwise if I go over it will have a knock on effect on everything else!
    I do believe meal planning will be next!!!

CATALOGUE - £500
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 28th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    trixiepix
    So, it's payday - Woo Hoo, feels as though I've wiped the slate clean from last month & can move forward is a less messy fashion!!

Meal planning is a work in progress, I've realised not to make a huge deal of such things as otherwise I'm overwhelmed by the time it's going to take before I even start!!

The extent of meal planning so far is :

last night intended to use salad nearing it's end so had mushroom omelette, salad & new pots, lunch today was last nights leftovers (and I'm definitely finding that not going near the shops at lunch is definitely better for my bank balance)
    Tonight it's going to be quick freezer food as I'm a little tied for time
    I need to have a sort of the freezer as it's v full but not sure with what, definitely minced beef in there which will be transforming itself into Bolognese for next week & chicken for fajitas.

The fiver that I've been trying to spend for the last couple of days floated off into the ether this morning (aka DD2 college lunches)

Note to self, sort the freezer before food shopping!!

CATALOGUE - £500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,761Users online

Martin's Twitter