Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 4th Jul 17, 3:27 PM
    • 285Posts
    • 298Thanks
    trixiepix
    Struggling to stay on the financial straight and narrow
    • 4th Jul 17, 3:27 PM
    Struggling to stay on the financial straight and narrow 4th Jul 17 at 3:27 PM
    Hi all,

I rumble around, disappear for a spell then bob back in when I need advice and you all are always are so supportive and helpful.

So, the back story is,
    I'm very grateful to have cleared my thousands of pounds worth of debt (Phewwww!!!) and for a spell, wonderfully rested and sound sleep filled nights became the norm but it didn't last.......

I am lucky to have a little in savings but I realise more is being taken out and less being put in as I still haven't changed the way I look at spending, if I want something the spending demons in my head always seem to justify my reasoning to spend - Any one else with the same issue?
    NXT AC - £300
    CATALOGUE - £40
    WEIGHT LOSS - 10 of 66lbs
    SAVINGS £500 of £2500 by 2018
Page 1
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Jul 17, 7:40 PM
    • 46,543 Posts
    • 165,418 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:40 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 7:40 PM
    It is a diffucult one.
    Keep plodding
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 5th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 3,173 Thanks
    JoJoC
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    I wish I had the answer to thst but I think many of us are in that situation!

I suppose setting short term goals might help and adopting some processes when it comes to purchases like delaying all purchases by 24 hours (within reason) so see if the novelty or need wears off.

Good luck!
    CC1: 3,774.32/4,200 | CC2: 5,077/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,292.57/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,739 or 18.66%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 5th Jul 17, 8:32 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    trixiepix
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:32 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 8:32 PM
    JoJo & Beanie - Thank you for taking the time to pass through - very much appreciated ☺

Without delving too deeply into the phycology side of things, I truly do believe some of us just have a compulsive nature, weather it's been conditioned, learnt or just part of our natural character make up who knows but I'm mindful I definitely fall into this category.
    I think I need to relearn behaviours I've relied upon for many, many years & have been great in the short term but held me back in the long term.
    I'm now in my forties and want to try to deal with it once and for all, start putting serious savings away and hopefully in the longer term invest in property rather than having to continue to rent forever and ever.
    So, one thing I know I need to change immediately is eating out, usually fast food options so as a stand alone not massively expensive but when happening many times a week this is impacting on money that should be saved - I've become lazy with food plans etc. as a result of upping working hours and cooking has become an inconvenience, I'm taking one day at a time as each habit needs to be broken but so far this week (yes I know it's only Wednesday!!) we've eaten at home - if I can make through the whole week that would be a real achievement as pathetic as it sounds.

Spends so far today - Salad at lunchtime £4.50 (ran out of time this morning to make lunch, not great planning there then, not to self, when you can sleep soundly at night you will be brighter in the morning !!)

Still £4.50 of unnecessary spends but better than what a 'normal' day would be!

Trix xx
    NXT AC - £300
    CATALOGUE - £40
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 6th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    trixiepix
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    What a beautifully sunny day today, it certainly puts a spring in my step and the outlook is positive, positive, positive.
    I love the summer months, long balmy days are such a tonic.

So, today's spends so far - £40 cash taken out as needed to send DD2 off to a school trip with spending money & was meeting a friend for lunch (planned weeks ago) and it was my turn to pay!

£5 on bits and bobs in supermarket (packed lunch stuff for DD2 & fruit for work)
    £10 on friends lunch
    £10 for DD's trip
    £5 charity cake sale & lottery
    leaving me around £12 - how fast did that go!!!
    Have to buy a birthday card and small gift for a friends birthday so I think I'm pretty much going to have £0 left by this evening!!

At least my next weeks 'through the week' allowance starts tomorrow, I just need to try to save some!!
    NXT AC - £300
    CATALOGUE - £40
    • dionysia
    • By dionysia 6th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    dionysia
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    Exactly the same! Let me know if you solve it . What's working for me at the moment, although very early days, is simply not having access to money to spend - credit card closed (not just limit reduced and put away, because something in my head still seems to categorise that as 'available dosh'), overdraft cancelled, savings in an stocks and shares ISA where withdrawal takes a couple of weeks. We'll see!
    June 2017: owe £16,818.
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 9th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    trixiepix
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    Dionysia, thank you for strolling through ☺

Sounds as though you've made great changes to tame the spending beast!!
    I too chopped up all of my credit cards when the last one was paid, I had intended to keep just one for emergencies but I knew at some point it would be calling my name!! so I chopped that one as well - so I have no credit to access (other than my nxt catalogue and I am determined to get that paid off without ordering anything else) but it's my savings that have taken a hit and is now down to £500 - I hadn't thought about moving the savings to a different account - I shall look into that tomorrow, I think I'll need to go to a different bank as it's all to easy to move money from account to account with online banking where as it'll be trickier to access from elsewhere!! - what a state to get in where I just can't be trusted and I really should no better at my age!!
    Was watching a programme earlier about paying your mortgage off early (not that I have a mortgage, still renting) there was one case where the person had to go back to basics to overpay on the mortgage and every £5 spare they had they banked and every literal penny was counted and subsequently had cleared £56,000 in 4 years!!! - made me realise that every penny does count and I'm going to be doing that with my savings, every penny saved will be banked (in a different account so I can't get my mittens on it lol!!)
    Back to the straight and narrow......for today!!!
    NXT AC - £300
    CATALOGUE - £40
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 10th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    trixiepix
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    So I seemed to blink on Friday evening and found myself with the alarm clock going off this morning ready for another fun filled (and hopefully frugal) week!!

At least Monday is done, & today I've checked my account and find myself £120 over what I was hoping to have spent with still over 2 weeks to payday, so rather than think I need to shift some money to cover the overspend I'm pondering on ways to add back in - I'm due a refund on a returns item which will be £20 so already back down to £100 over, I've listed a couple of items on Ebaaay, very low prices so if they don't sell will only be adding in a few pounds but it all adds up!!

Busy morning meant I ran out of lunch making time so ended up buying a sandwich, was determined to only spend the loose change I had in my purse - £2 later was the owner of a sarnie & had realised I need to organise myself a tad better.
    So this evening I have made myself 'packed' breakfast and lunch for work tomorrow (note to self, don't leave it in the fridge at home!!!!)
    Didn't get chance to investigate new savings account today so will defer to tomorrow as a tad sleepy now!!

Onwards and upwards!!

NXT AC - £300
    CATALOGUE - £40
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 11th Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    trixiepix
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    Well the rain is such a welcome relief from having to water the garden - finding a positive even in the rain clouds!!

So spending for the day - had birthday money from earlier in the year so ordered a couple of things from Amazoon, in light of todays offers - so an acceptable spend as I didn't want my birthday money being eaten up on nothing, as I know the gift givers wanted me to have something to show for it.

Remembered to take my packed lunch with me which was a result, lovely lunch and cost nothing.
    Take away/fast food abstinence is going well, making time to cook and we're all benefitting from eating better.
    veg chilli & rice made into a burrito type of wraps - lots of veggies and free food (SW) except for the wraps, enough leftovers for my dinner tomorrow eve.

Meeting DD1 for lunch tomorrow at Subway as have enough points to pay for subs so free lunch, may just have to pay for drinks, promised we'd do this weeks ago so feels the right thing to do.
    Hope you've all had a frugal day xxx
    NXT AC - £300
    CATALOGUE - £40
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 12th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    trixiepix
    So it's Wednesday, just two days away from next weeks 'through the week' allowance.
    I'm still ahead of what I would have liked to have spent from my monthly allowance by this point in the month, so actively trying to add more in rather than take more out & absolutely determined not to touch a penny of my savings.

So money in today - Ebay has been a positive, managed to sell £47.50's worth of stuff today - still have to pay for postage, so realistically looking at a £40 profit which has been added back in to the account.
    Few more things listed, so hopefully a few more pounds will be flying their way into the account, fingers crossed.

Had drinks spends for Subway today but had cash to use rather than just whizz out the debit card (so doesn't feel like real money & easy to lose track of)
    No plans for the rest of the week so hopefully NSD's tomorrow and Friday.
    Dinner was left over chilli & rice from yesterday, so still not been in sniffing distance of a Mackie D's & I'm feeling very empowered about it!! - I guess it's all about control in all aspects!!

Trix xx
    NXT AC - £300
    CATALOGUE - £40
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 13th Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    trixiepix
    Nearly Friday yay!! it's felt like a long week!!

So tonight was unexpectedly taken out for dinner along with DD's by my lovely mum - such a lovely kind treat ♥♥♥

So, spends today amounts to £2 (cash) for some flowers for a friend who needed a little pick me up.
    Lunch provided at a training session at work (fortunately as left lunch at home in fridge!!)
    Feel as though I've kept on the straight and narrow this week, checking in to 'confess my sins' each night is helping me see how it's as easy not to spend as it is to spend - long may it last but sadly my track record isn't great but maybe this may be the last time!! Hah!!

Should be a NSD tomorrow and will have to be extra careful keeping on track over the weekend!!
    NXT AC - £300
    CATALOGUE - £40
    • louby40
    • By louby40 14th Jul 17, 6:35 AM
    • 958 Posts
    • 2,590 Thanks
    louby40
    Hi, just been reading your diary and thought I would say hello!

You sound like a really upbeat person - a bit like me!

I find it's the little things that add to my spending. £6 in the supermarket, £5 donation to something at work. £10 cash that once you break into the note, vanishes.

I always take food into work, I work in a little village school with no shops or anything close by. So no chance to buy anything. That's a big saving.

I think once you're aware of your need to cut back it's at the forefront of your mind!
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £200/£1000. Christmas savings £350/£600
    Kitchen July £12,493
    Barclaycard £610
    Car loan £3666 Mortgage £96,981
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 14th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    trixiepix
    Thank you Louby for taking a detour and wandering through ☺

I would say I'm a half full kinda girl & always try to see the positive in a situation & look for the solutions to any problems, unfortunately this hasn't seemed to extend itself to either dieting or managing money!! These are most definitely the things I need to work on!! lol!!

In so many aspects of life I'm a real control freak and yet with managing money I've been shockingly bad at justifying my bad spending habits but at the moment all is good.

So, NSD today - Woo Hoo!!
    Ebay has sent another £20 my way from sales tonight, which I'm so happy about & more listed this evening in a bid to generate a few more pounds!!

It's Friday which is the day for the next weeks allowance, so once I've sorted food shopping & petrol I hope to spend as little as is possible to keep on that straight road.

Home made 'takeaway' this evening which cost a fiver for all four of us, would have been at least £20 if we'd bought take out - feel quite impressed with myself!!

I need to keep focused over the weekend as this tends to be a tricky time usually, I need to look for a cheap pot of paint tomorrow for a bit of decorating of the downstairs loo, tiny space so won't take much, it's needed doing for a spell and already have everything else I need, I reckon on a bit of decorating will keep me out of the shops over the weekend, productive and low cost in comparison!!

Have a great Saturday ☺
    NXT AC - £300
    CATALOGUE - £40
    • louby40
    • By louby40 15th Jul 17, 7:32 AM
    • 958 Posts
    • 2,590 Thanks
    louby40
    Enjoy the painting! And well done on the homemade 'takeaway!

Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £200/£1000. Christmas savings £350/£600
    Kitchen July £12,493
    Barclaycard £610
    Car loan £3666 Mortgage £96,981
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 15th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    trixiepix
    So, I've been hunched over the laptop for a few hours, so going to have to make it brief this eve as my back in a tad achey breaky!!

Ebay sales sent another £10 my way today and hopefully more pounds to follow, well they do say money attracts money, hopefully that'll be the case!! ☺

Cooked another new recipe this eve, pork kofta style kebaby things, went down well with everyone & again kept me out of the takeaway.
    £20 taken out this morning for my 'weekly allowance' - hopefully it'll remain in tact for most of the week!!
    Petrol tomorrow will be £30 for the week and I must stick to food shopping budget rigidly.

Didn't feel great today so didn't manage to get the paint but tomorrows another day!!

xxx
    NXT AC - £300
    CATALOGUE - £40
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 18th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    trixiepix
    Have been home sooooo late the last couple of days so haven't had chance to check in but all's good.

So with the help of another couple of Ebay sales I find myself £68 overdrawn into next weeks through the week allowance (down from £188), so to make ends meet I'll need to try to 'earn' the £68 from sales as I'm very mindful the schools break for summer on Friday and I want the books to balance!! -

Eek always an expensive time are the school hols!!

So tonight I'm making pizza (no takeaway again - woo hoo) and aim to get a few more things listed on Ebay - would love to hit my £68 or near as damn it target by Friday but as always some things you list and least expect to sell are winners & what you think will sell quickly ends up hanging around - I suppose it's true what they say about one mans trash is another mans treasure!!

So there are a few things I need to buy over the forthcoming months, not expensive bits but I'm mindful I need to break this 'all or nothing' mind set, so will buy one thing a week or month depending on cost.

So on the list so far....

Sandwich toaster (helpful for school holiday lunches as a twist on regular sandwiches and I do appreciate I can toast under the grill but I like the idea of shell shape sandwiches, lol!!)

Tea towels, some of mine are now past their best.

Single bed valance sheet for DD2, since changing to a divan bed she decided she'd just like the bed base showing but I'm not so keen so new one on the list.

None of which will be bought until after payday at the end of the month, although the sandwich toaster is definitely calling my name ☺........

NXT AC - £300
    CATALOGUE - £40
    • trixiepix
    • By trixiepix 19th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    trixiepix
    Well the best laid plans and all that!!

Ebay sales have slowed & I've a refund to process due to someone having realised they thought they were bidding on something different to what they did, just going to have to suck it up as paypal will issue a refund whatever so I need to keep my 100% feedback status so now an extra few pounds down - also succumbed to take away this evening, so another £20 racked up into the red, so now looking at going into next week's through the week allowance already £100 down, which is not where I wanted to be - well only one person to blame here!!

Two days left until next weeks allowance and have a few pounds left which will see me through.

Only take away spends today, must do better!!

NXT AC - £300
    CATALOGUE - £40
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,376Posts Today

7,872Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin