Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Paul58
    • By Paul58 4th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Paul58
    FOS says no?
    • 4th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    FOS says no? 4th Jul 17 at 1:42 PM
    Hi to all.
    2 years ago I wrote here about Yorkshire Bank saying I'd had no PPI on 12 loans over a 30ish years period. I had however had PPI on their Credit card.
    I rang the FOS. He just said that was it, if they said no, it's no... as they wouldn't lie?

Today, been reading on the site and, contrary to advice given on here, Martin says don't take no for an answer from the bank, because the banks do 'get it wrong'. He also says to ring the FOS who will then contact the bank.

The FOS just were not interested in taking it further when I rang. Can this be right?

If not, where do I stand? I read on here something about having 6 months to take it to the FOS, which I did but that has now long gone.
    Thank you.
    Paul
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Jul 17, 1:48 PM
    • 12,541 Posts
    • 12,710 Thanks
    zx81
    • 4th Jul 17, 1:48 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 1:48 PM

The FOS just were not interested in taking it further when I rang. Can this be right?
    Originally posted by Paul58
    Yes. .
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 4th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 4th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    Not the first time Martin's sweeping statements have given false hope.

Unless you have evidence to prove you did have PPI, there's nothing that the FOS can do for you. It's you that is making the complaint, it is for you to prove your case.
    • Paul58
    • By Paul58 4th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Paul58
    • 4th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    Thank you both for your replies.

Bit disappointing when the main man gives duff info.

Paul
    • -taff
    • By -taff 4th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    • 7,227 Posts
    • 4,629 Thanks
    -taff
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    You have already been told you didn't have PPI. Unless you can show you did, why on earth would you try to complain again?

Did you have PPI? Did you send a SAR to see what info they had left?
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 4th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 618 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 4th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    The FOS will resolve an issue about fair redress, but they can't search the bank for PPI details.
    • quaybab
    • By quaybab 9th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    quaybab
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    ADR via the FOS is a two step process with opinion followed by final decision. You've had an opinion and are entitled to an FD but this rarely overturns the initial opinion.
    Ask for FD and after that has been published on the website, put in a service complaint saying you were not advised of your statutory right to a determination.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 9th Jul 17, 7:08 PM
    • 14,917 Posts
    • 21,131 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:08 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:08 PM
    What the OP originally said was this;

Hi.
    We've had almost constant loans from Yorkshire Bank for the past 36 years until a couple of years ago.
    I wrote asking if we had ever had PPI. They sent back a list of 12 loans with account numbers, all saying 'No PPI'.
    There is one for a Credit Card that says yes, that had PPI, but we haven't used that card for donkeys years...
    Originally posted by Paul58
    If YB have no records of any PPI, and the OP has no records of any PPI, then the FOS is unlikely to order any compensation.

And whilst the OP might have had PPI on a YB Credit card, they "haven't used that card for donkeys years". I'm not sure how that translates into human years, but it is perfectly possible that it means that there is no record of any PPI amounts being charged.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

452Posts Today

4,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin