Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • simjambra
    • By simjambra 4th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 6Thanks
    simjambra
    Hot desking in Bournemouth/South West
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    Hot desking in Bournemouth/South West 4th Jul 17 at 9:31 AM
    Hi all, a quick question. I am having to move out of my house for some renovations and will be staying with relatives in Bournemouth. I can't take this as holiday, so will need to work for 4 or 5 days, while I am down there.

I work for a small company with a very tight budget, so can't really afford hotels or renting out meeting rooms, so I wondered if anyone had any bright ideas of where I could work for a few days, at very low cost. My company is based in the midlands, so couldn't commute!

All I would need is a desk and Wifi. I don't fancy sitting in Starbucks, on my 17th frappuccino by 11am. But I am not sure if I would be allowed to sit in the public library for 8 hours.

Any ideas, greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Simon
    Trying to reduce my outgoings!!!

Reduced mobile broadband by £18.21/m
    Cancelled rarely used LoveFilm £13.00/m
    Changed to SIM-only contract saving £38.50/m
Page 1
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 4th Jul 17, 10:52 AM
    • 13,001 Posts
    • 11,074 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 4th Jul 17, 10:52 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 10:52 AM
    I don't know specifically for Bournemouth, but many places have very flexible office spaces or co-worker hubs which are half a step up from Starbucks. You'll also find office hire can be very cheap - £250/month where I am for a single person serviced office including all rates, furniture, cleaning, electricity, toilets and kitchen, etc., and that's the 'month at a time' rate, so it is available for a single month at that price. Maybe you can find something for £100 for a week? If a space is empty, landlords will do some deals as for some money as opposed to no money.

Try Flexioffices.com - I once did a short let they found for me, no premium and you get to haggle your own deal. There are plenty of other companies.
    • simjambra
    • By simjambra 5th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    simjambra
    • 5th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 5th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    I will check that out, thanks!
    Trying to reduce my outgoings!!!

Reduced mobile broadband by £18.21/m
    Cancelled rarely used LoveFilm £13.00/m
    Changed to SIM-only contract saving £38.50/m
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 12th Jul 17, 2:44 PM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 17,156 Thanks
    FatVonD
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:44 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:44 PM
    Since you are travelling a fair way to get to bournemouth why not look for the cheapest Travelodge wherever that may be, you will have accommodation, wifi and a desk. They often have deals for #29 per night.
    Make £5 a day in July £65.73/£155 (June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • phill99
    • By phill99 12th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 7,862 Posts
    • 7,116 Thanks
    phill99
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    You'll be surprised who lets out meeting rooms etc now!! Locally to me, they include the local chambers of commerce. the local council, local college, hotels, business support organisations, local football club, sports venues etc.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Pound
    • By Pound 12th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 1,296 Thanks
    Pound
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    Many buses have wifi and charging points on board and you can use them all day for a few quid

• Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 37,484 Posts
    • 33,793 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    Many buses have wifi and charging points on board and you can use them all day for a few quid
    Originally posted by Pound
    at the idea of trying to do a day's work on the bus! Yes, our buses have wifi. No, the connection is not particularly reliable.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jul 17, 8:28 PM
    • 59,144 Posts
    • 345,301 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:28 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:28 PM
    A lot of small hotels just round the corner between the BIC and Westbourne rent B&B rooms for £18/night.... look on google streetview, it's the one labelled B3066 towards West Cliff Road, then phone them and see if you can rent a room. Just visit family to be fed

They usually have spare rooms even in peak, peak season.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 12-07-2017 at 8:34 PM.
    • Pound
    • By Pound 12th Jul 17, 9:26 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 1,296 Thanks
    Pound
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:26 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:26 PM
    at the idea of trying to do a day's work on the bus!
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Why not? It's useful if you're in the sort of job where you need to visit clients.

• Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 37,484 Posts
    • 33,793 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Why not? It's useful if you're in the sort of job where you need to visit clients.
    Originally posted by Pound
    Noisy, uncomfortable, overcrowded, poor suspension. No desks (I'd get serious backache using a laptop on my lap all day), no access to water or toilets (unless you get off and on again, and who knows HOW long you'd have to wait for the next one!)

I can imagine working on a train, as long as it had a table. But a bus, no!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,176Posts Today

7,157Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin