Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 4th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    • 1,722Posts
    • 8,535Thanks
    kathrynha
    Sun, Sand, Sea & Slimming - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 4th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    Sun, Sand, Sea & Slimming - Slimming World support thread 2017 4th Jul 17 at 8:37 AM
    Starting a new thread to help Shala out. Please all be kind to me, as I'm new to this. I will try my best.

Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.

Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 58 lb
    Last updated: 12th September 2017
Page 7
    • orlao
    • By orlao 7th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    orlao
    Evening all,

TGIF is all I can say about this week!!!

+2lbs for me this week - stress eating
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 7th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 48,139 Posts
    • 592,197 Thanks
    bubbs
    My mum always said if you cannot say something nice, then don't say anything.

I do love nuts but OH tells me I bite too hard so I am no longer allowed to taste them again........(I'm sorry but there needed to be a nut joke)

Yes fat is good under certain circumstances for certain people, usually fit and healthy people, this is a SW thread which avoids fat and can be high in carbs.... but it works as bubbs says

It is a SW thread!

I have my first weekend since Xmas when I have not been manic with work.... I intend reading some SW literature.

I have never ate so much and so many vegetables in my life, and much more protein then I would ever have eaten...
    Today's meals

Breakfast - whole cucumber, 2 tomato and a carrot.

Lunch - salad with cottage cheese

Tea - omelette and beans

snack apple and a boiled egg.

I had a banana and another apple in my bag but saved some famished people in a rather strange meeting...
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Nuts are no good to me as would want to eat the whole packet
    I wish i liked cottage cheese but i dont, so thats that
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :-4 stone 4lb week 34
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 7th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 48,139 Posts
    • 592,197 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all,

Originally posted by orlao
    Its a new week now, good luck for this week x
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 7th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 14,854 Posts
    • 184,923 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Nuts are no good to me as would want to eat the whole packet
    I wish i liked cottage cheese but i dont, so thats that
    Originally posted by bubbs
    OH would not let me eat his nuts

Cottage cheese, it is rather nice.

I will be amazed if i have lost anything this week as I have ate loads, but my skin is glowing!!!

Accumulative cost of having adult child in 2017.
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 7th Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    • 14,854 Posts
    • 184,923 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Evening all,

We can talk through stress with you...
    January - One day off work for OH to take him to an exam as car broken - 40 mile round journey. Different car £450.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 7th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 48,139 Posts
    • 592,197 Thanks
    bubbs
    OH would not let me eat his nuts

Cottage cheese, it is rather nice.

I will be amazed if i have lost anything this week as I have ate loads, but my skin is glowing!!!

Trust you to lower the tone i have said my ski looks better even though i have never had bad skin
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 7th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 14,854 Posts
    • 184,923 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Trust you to lower the tone i have said my ski looks better even though i have never had bad skin
    We know your ski is lovely!

• bubbs
    • By bubbs 7th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 48,139 Posts
    • 592,197 Thanks
    bubbs
    We know your ski is lovely!

Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 7th Jul 17, 9:09 PM
    • 14,854 Posts
    • 184,923 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 7th Jul 17, 9:13 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Yes fat is good under certain circumstances for certain people, usually fit and healthy people, this is a SW thread which avoids fat and can be high in carbs.... but it works as bubbs says
    Its a bit more than "good under certain cirumstances", its an essential macronutrient. Any nutrition plan that reduces fat and replaces with carbohydrate is not only unsustainable, its also a less effective way of losing weight and most importantly its unhealthy as you are missing out on various vitamins only found in fat.

And its not a case of me not having anything nice to say, its just offering a critique of this "diet plan", in the hope that even just one person realises its not a long term solution.
    • mouche
    • By mouche 7th Jul 17, 9:14 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 4,358 Thanks
    mouche
    I can see Friday madness is breaking out on this thread!

I have had a very bad day - 35 syns!!!! I always thought biscuits were my trigger food but I can eat chocolates in moderation. Clearly not these chocolates. Reese's peanut butter cups will not be entering this house again (I'll scoff them in the car instead).
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £144,515.84 (16/06/2017).
    MFW target for 2017: £2355.48/ £5,000
    2017 Challenges
    Grocery Challenge: £162.32/£200 (July); £200.76/ £200 (June)
    Make £300 a month: £107.42/£300 (July); £237.88/ £300 (June)
    Lose 3st 9lb: 1st 12lb/3st 9lb
    • orlao
    • By orlao 7th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    orlao
    We can talk through stress with you...
    LOL - still sniggering at your nuts comment - I'm such a child.

New job in a brand new to me industry which is great and everyone is lovely, so, so lovely that the place is overloaded with every kind of cake ever imagined by humankind which of course, I haven't been able to say no to...

I don't want to whinge as I was really chuffed to be offered this job and I'm really excited about it but I've worked from home solo for a while and it's been a bit of a shock to the system to be back in an office, in a team with far to much food temptation about. Just being a brat now and time to put my big girls pants (spanx obviously!) on and get back on the SW wagon.
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    My mum always said if you cannot say something nice, then don't say anything.

I do love nuts but OH tells me I bite too hard so I am no longer allowed to taste them again........(I'm sorry but there needed to be a nut joke)

It is a SW thread!

I have my first weekend since Xmas when I have not been manic with work.... I intend reading some SW literature.

I have never ate so much and so many vegetables in my life, and much more protein then I would ever have eaten...
    Today's meals

Breakfast - whole cucumber, 2 tomato and a carrot.

Lunch - salad with cottage cheese

Tea - omelette and beans

snack apple and a boiled egg.

I had a banana and another apple in my bag but saved some famished people in a rather strange meeting...
    I'm sure you'll be fine as you've had plenty of Speed across the day but what sort of beans are you having with your omelette? Baked beans are really healthy in terms of fibre and protein but green beans would help up the Speed. I'm a real Speed fiend as I'm convinced that and planning are the most important parts of SW. I'd generally make a veggie omelette with tomato, mushrooms, courgettes, spring onions, peppers or whatever I have available and then my easy fall back pickles like beetroot or pickled cabbage alongside.

Sounds like you and MrWiz had a great time. Was it a special occasion? Well done for being selfless with the pudding.

Strange how trolls turn up from time to time to tell us where we're going wrong??? Some very nutty people around.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 7th Jul 17, 9:28 PM
    • 14,854 Posts
    • 184,923 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    LOL - still sniggering at your nuts comment - I'm such a child.

New job in a brand new to me industry which is great and everyone is lovely, so, so lovely that the place is overloaded with every kind of cake ever imagined by humankind which of course, I haven't been able to say no to...

I don't want to whinge as I was really chuffed to be offered this job and I'm really excited about it but I've worked from home solo for a while and it's been a bit of a shock to the system to be back in an office, in a team with far to much food temptation about. Just being a brat now and time to put my big girls pants (spanx obviously!) on and get back on the SW wagon.
    Flip you are not being silly, going from working from home to working in an office in a totally new job in a new industry is WOW. It also must be very stressful, no wonder you have have succumb to some temptation (my silver lining mode of thought is....at least you have not slept with the boss..... yet!!!)

What are you doing? Are you enjoying it? Making friends? x
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 7th Jul 17, 9:35 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    parking_question_chap

I have had a very bad day - 35 syns!!!! I always thought biscuits were my trigger food but I can eat chocolates in moderation. Clearly not these chocolates. Reese's peanut butter cups will not be entering this house again (I'll scoff them in the car instead).
    Originally posted by mouche
    This is seen time and time again, this message is aimed to all, not just you.

Because your following an unsustainable nutrition plan that isnt teaching you good habits.

You see it repeat itself over and over again on threads like this, people do well for a little while, fall off the wagon, then do well again. Its because your body is unable to carry on with the incomplete nutrients you are providing and you will usually feel hungry as well. Even looking at Kathrynhas history will draw attention to the fact they had previously tried the 5:2 and 16:8 (whatever that is). Moving from one unsustainable plan to the next, and probably never really being pleased with what you are eating.

If you want actual results:

Cut out junk and processed food as much as possible, but allow yourself a little treat once in a while. Eventually as you see progress you will be less inclined to have these treats, as they are just short term gratification. And just in case you didnt know, low fat meal replacements and yogurts count as junk food.

Eat lean meats, fish, veg, some fruit, eggs, seeds and nuts.

Rice and potatoes fine in moderation.

Try not to eat shortly before bed.

If you can get to the gym do HIIT (google it), but basically its intervals of high and low intensity training. Dont waste time counting steps, it isnt really doing a great deal.

Add in some compound exercises which use the big muscle groups. Squats, deadlifts, military press, benchpress, assisted dips and pull ups.

See your body change for the better.

It really is pretty simple.

Or just carry on with what you are doing, getting short term results but no real long term solution.

Happy to answer any PMs, and just bear in mind im not selling any products as dont actually need to buy any brands to see results.

Peace.

I shall not interrupt your thread/commercial sales pitch any further today.
    Last edited by parking_question_chap; 07-07-2017 at 9:42 PM.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 7th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 14,854 Posts
    • 184,923 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I'm sure you'll be fine as you've had plenty of Speed across the day but what sort of beans are you having with your omelette? Baked beans are really healthy in terms of fibre and protein but green beans would help up the Speed. I'm a real Speed fiend as I'm convinced that and planning are the most important parts of SW. I'd generally make a veggie omelette with tomato, mushrooms, courgettes, spring onions, peppers or whatever I have available and then my easy fall back pickles like beetroot or pickled cabbage alongside.

Sounds like you and MrWiz had a great time. Was it a special occasion? Well done for being selfless with the pudding.

Strange how trolls turn up from time to time to tell us where we're going wrong??? Some very nutty people around.
    Originally posted by maman
    I had baked beans... as I need the fibre

But I have developed a bit of a fetish for raw green beans.... and cucumbers They are really easy to eat whilst driving (I live in my car)...but I do get some funny looks!!! lol

No special occasion, just needed some sodium

Two of my kids are extremely fanatic about nutrition, so I am used to the conversation about fat and have even had some strange equation thing shown to me (it was boring) but when my kids have read about SW the accept that it is 'rather healthy' and is right for me at this moment...but I DO NOT eat a cucumber in front of them - there are some lines that cannot be crossed! x

Note for next week...be organised xxx
    • esmy
    • By esmy 7th Jul 17, 9:39 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 2,664 Thanks
    esmy
    + 1lb for me this week
    I know why - I've tried to vary my usual diet a bit this week (still within SW) eg occasional cooked breakfast rather than bran flakes, yoghurt and fruit, and it's not quite worked out! I've found myself hungrier than I usually am, and I've had migraine for a couple of days which always makes me crave sugary things. Unfortunately the medication I take for it leads to instant constipation (sorry if TMI) so that hasn't helped matters.

Got to be on it this next week as I'm going on another short beach holiday next weekend, including an event where we'll the the oldest there by something like 25 years - no way can I pass off as in my 30s nowadays whatever my weight but I'd like to try!

Well done losers, especially the SOTWs, sympathies to the gainers. Thanks again Kathrynha and Shala. I won't be volunteering to be deputy prefect - spreadsheets and I don't get on at all!
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 7th Jul 17, 9:39 PM
    • 14,854 Posts
    • 184,923 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy

Originally posted by mouche
    OMG there is a special offer linked to them ......... I saw it and thought

They are very scrummy
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman

I shall not interrupt your thread any further today.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    I think we can all agree on that.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 7th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 14,854 Posts
    • 184,923 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I think we can all agree on that.
    Originally posted by maman

My priority is trying to figure out why Dev from Coronation Street has his shop in his house!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,251Posts Today

6,663Users online

Martin's Twitter