Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SimonEnnew
    • By SimonEnnew 4th Jul 17, 7:27 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SimonEnnew
    Help with some charges...
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:27 AM
    Help with some charges... 4th Jul 17 at 7:27 AM
    Going back a few years I had a car loan and failed to keep up with the repayments, since then I have been paying the loan back but that have been some bizarre charges added.. Can anyone tell me if these are legit or I should be taking these further. I have queried in the first instance.

2 x £300.00 Charges for Recovery of the vehicle (Even though they never recovered the vehicle)
    There response when I questioned it..

The Charges of £300.00 added on the 04th October 2013 and 23rd April 2014 are Recovery fees. We are entitled to

add these fees on if the recovery of the vehicle is successful or not as it is a cost we are charged by a third party

company.

£100.00 added to instruct the court for an attachment of earnings (which I was sent, but however stopped with the courts and agreed a fee)
    The £100.00 add on the 11th September 2014 is the fee we paid to instruct the courts to apply for an attachment of

your earnings

They also sold the vehicle without my knowledge, quite a bizarre story to be honest so ill make it as short as I can, the vehicle stopped working (6 months after I bought it) I had it off road in a friends garage, they moved premises and the vehicle somehow ended up in another garage they fixed it, but there was nobody to pay for the repairs (which were apparently around £1000) the garage contacted the finance company, the finance company got in touch we me (how I discovered what happened!) and I instructed the finance company I hadn't authorised the work the garage had done. They sold the car to the garage without my authorisation. (The finance company accepted £250, which they put onto my account) - My issue is the car was probably worth £2000 (but I guess with the cost of repairs I am not surprised the garage wouldn't pay anymore!). I would have rather had the car had I known!

All bit of a pickle really, loan was stupid from me in the first place but and here is the irony I needed a realible car for work back then. pay nearly double including the finance, I just think they are taking the biscuit a bit... there making £3k on a £4k car!!

Hope someone can help specially with those costs etc..

Thanks

Simon
Page 1
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 4th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    • 5,488 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    Did they attempt to recover the car?

How did you manage to lose track of the car?

It seems pretty reasonable from the finance companies point of view, they had an asset which you failed to pay for, found the asset and sold it.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 4th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 4,971 Posts
    • 5,117 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    What does your finance agreement that you signed say about additional fees and charges?
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
    • leespot
    • By leespot 4th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    leespot
    • 4th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    Going back a few years I had a car loan and failed to keep up with the repayments, since then I have been paying the loan back but that have been some bizarre charges added.. Can anyone tell me if these are legit or I should be taking these further. I have queried in the first instance.

2 x £300.00 Charges for Recovery of the vehicle (Even though they never recovered the vehicle)
    There response when I questioned it..

The Charges of £300.00 added on the 04th October 2013 and 23rd April 2014 are Recovery fees. We are entitled to

add these fees on if the recovery of the vehicle is successful or not as it is a cost we are charged by a third party

company.

£100.00 added to instruct the court for an attachment of earnings (which I was sent, but however stopped with the courts and agreed a fee)
    The £100.00 add on the 11th September 2014 is the fee we paid to instruct the courts to apply for an attachment of

your earnings

They also sold the vehicle without my knowledge, quite a bizarre story to be honest so ill make it as short as I can, the vehicle stopped working (6 months after I bought it) I had it off road in a friends garage, they moved premises and the vehicle somehow ended up in another garage they fixed it, but there was nobody to pay for the repairs (which were apparently around £1000) the garage contacted the finance company, the finance company got in touch we me (how I discovered what happened!) and I instructed the finance company I hadn't authorised the work the garage had done. They sold the car to the garage without my authorisation. (The finance company accepted £250, which they put onto my account) - My issue is the car was probably worth £2000 (but I guess with the cost of repairs I am not surprised the garage wouldn't pay anymore!). I would have rather had the car had I known!

All bit of a pickle really, loan was stupid from me in the first place but and here is the irony I needed a realible car for work back then. pay nearly double including the finance, I just think they are taking the biscuit a bit... there making £3k on a £4k car!!

Hope someone can help specially with those costs etc..

Thanks

Simon
    Originally posted by SimonEnnew
    Is it possible that on the two occasions they had to instruct a recovery firm because it looked like you were going to default and have the car taken off you - the recovery firm will probably have charged the finance company even if they didn't need to end up collecting the car. The finance company might have incurred costs by instructing and then cancelling the recovery firm.

You put the car in the garage to get it fixed, lost the car (how the hell anyone can do that is beyond me) and then didn't want to pay for the repairs?

They did instruct the court to put an attachment of earnings on your wages, this service isn't free - the fact that you reached an agreement after that is irrelevant.

Bit of a mess all round really, chalk it down to an awful experience and move on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,472Users online

Martin's Twitter