Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 4th Jul 17, 1:49 AM
    • 18,651Posts
    • 15,554Thanks
    wealdroam
    Photobucket now charges $399.99 for third party hosted images
    • 4th Jul 17, 1:49 AM
    Photobucket now charges $399.99 for third party hosted images 4th Jul 17 at 1:49 AM
    Anyone who uses Photobucket for uploading images to this forum may need to re-think their strategy.

www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges-399-for-third-party-hosted-images
Page 1
    • custardy
    • By custardy 4th Jul 17, 7:50 AM
    • 32,771 Posts
    • 27,503 Thanks
    custardy
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:50 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:50 AM
    Noticed this on a works! email just yesterday.
    However I was viewing on my mobile so couldnt make out the text in the image fully.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 4th Jul 17, 8:24 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 4th Jul 17, 8:24 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 8:24 AM
    Talk about shooting yourself in the foot, i'm assuming the company got bought out and the new owners aren't quite as internet savvy as they think they are........

I host my own images on my own home server, i'm fairly sure running that doesn't cost me anywhere near as much as Photobucket want to charge for their service.
    I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 4th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    • 4th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    This has been much discussed on 3 car forums I frequent, and there are options other than PB that are free and allow 3rd party linking. So, if you have photos stored on PB, make sure you have copies elsewhere as the PB ones could disappear!
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 4th Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    Uxb
    • 4th Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    According to other forums some business sellers on ebay have been using photobucket to host umpteen hundred photos of their wares.
    So one can see why PB might have got mega fed up of their free service being (ab)used for profit.....and they figure quite rightly that such business users should pay a business grade price for the "service".

So it looks like the usual of the minority spoil it for the majority - which seems to the the universal case for just about anything these days.

Pity PB could not have arranged for limited hosting/bandwidth restrictions for the casual user - but I suppose this just adds costs and complexity.

One suspects any of the other free photo sites will now take action to make sure they do not get deluged with users wanting something for free.
    In the end this is all costing the hosting organisation something and either they make it back on ad's or they have to start charging. If ad blockers are becoming universal then the only option left is paying for it.

If it was so cheap and easy to do I'm sure forum admins and web host sites etc will find it easy to host all the photos on their own sites in future all for free of course!......or maybe they too will find that it is not financially viable.
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 4th Jul 17, 12:49 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    • 4th Jul 17, 12:49 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 12:49 PM
    The biggest issue for me is how they've done this - specifically with no advance warning at all. I don't dispute their right to change their terms, or do anything they want with their business. Given the number of marketing emails they usually send, it seems unreasonable that they didn't bother to mention this before they implemented it.
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 5th Jul 17, 10:28 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:28 AM
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:28 AM
    Seems the options are Flikr, imgur.io and postimage.org. Member on another forum I frequent has tried postimage.org, reckons it's easier and better than PB!
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 5th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 5th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    All we need now is for the CEO of PB, to play golf with the people in the UK who control the internet filters and suddenly there will be no other option..........

The way things are going lately I actually wouldn't be surprised if all the free image hosts do get blocked in the blacklists given to UK ISPs AND/OR those used by internet forums to stop "undesirable" images being posted.

2 of my 7 domains got blocked for a short time, rendering my own image hosting useless for a short time on a whole load of forums. No reason for them to have been on any black lists at all.
    Last edited by Strider590; 05-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 26,234 Posts
    • 10,474 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    With all the adverts and backdoor data collection they get from visitors they are not exactly losing out.

PB are one of the worst sites out there, a 24" monitor does not give me enough space to list every single url, it loads in the background.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 5th Jul 17, 1:29 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    Uxb
    Is a Pain in the A to use anyway, I use IMGUR
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    .....whose T&C's specifically state no third party linking is permitted.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 5th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    • 2,363 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    According to other forums some business sellers on ebay have been using photobucket to host umpteen hundred photos of their wares.
    So one can see why PB might have got mega fed up of their free service being (ab)used for profit.....and they figure quite rightly that such business users should pay a business grade price for the "service".

So it looks like the usual of the minority spoil it for the majority - which seems to the the universal case for just about anything these days.

Pity PB could not have arranged for limited hosting/bandwidth restrictions for the casual user - but I suppose this just adds costs and complexity.

One suspects any of the other free photo sites will now take action to make sure they do not get deluged with users wanting something for free.
    In the end this is all costing the hosting organisation something and either they make it back on ad's or they have to start charging. If ad blockers are becoming universal then the only option left is paying for it.

If it was so cheap and easy to do I'm sure forum admins and web host sites etc will find it easy to host all the photos on their own sites in future all for free of course!......or maybe they too will find that it is not financially viable.
    Originally posted by Uxb
    Photobucket have had a system to limit bandwidth on hosted images and would replace it with a warning that the user has exceeded their bandwidth. As you've mentioned though the problem still is if people are primarily viewing the photos hosted elsewhere, they're not seeing ads and there's no money for doing it.

They've clearly tried to counter that by going with really aggressive adverts on their site to the degree I didn't realise many people used it now.

John
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 5th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 8,841 Posts
    • 4,420 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    That awful google captcha is quite smart these days. As often as not all that's needed for a pass now is to click a box declaring you are human.
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 14th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    Photobucket are the loosers, in the past I have bought a few things through them. No more money from me! My pics on here have already gone.

Fortyfoot
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Jul 17, 3:08 AM
    • 26,234 Posts
    • 10,474 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Vote Google for President, Primeminister, King and Queen. Ruler of ALL Except Amazon who will be starting an uprising soon after

Choices choices... Google or Amazon?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 8th Aug 17, 11:08 AM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    Seems the options are Flikr, imgur.io and postimage.org. Member on another forum I frequent has tried postimage.org, reckons it's easier and better than PB!
    Originally posted by Chrishazle
    I have used postimage.org and it seems fine.

Thanks,
    Fortyfoot
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,482Posts Today

6,357Users online

Martin's Twitter