Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 3rd Jul 17, 11:34 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 23Thanks
    tenchy
    TV Licensing asked for evidence
    • 3rd Jul 17, 11:34 PM
    TV Licensing asked for evidence 3rd Jul 17 at 11:34 PM
    I recently got a three month refund on a TV licence. First I rang them up and they said I could get four months, but I'd have to fill out the form online. Surprise, surprise, for four months, though not for three, they said I had to print off the form and supply evidence that I no longer had a tv at the address in question. I wnt for the three month option. Now I can think of loads of reasons why you might not be able to provide such evidence, like, well, I just stopped watching!

On what legal basis is this contemptible organization demanding "evidence"?
Page 1
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 4th Jul 17, 12:24 AM
    • 15,120 Posts
    • 21,466 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 4th Jul 17, 12:24 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 12:24 AM
    ...On what legal basis is this contemptible organization demanding "evidence"?
    Originally posted by tenchy
    Communications Act 2003, I'd imagine. Or whatever regulations were issued pursuant to that act.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 4th Jul 17, 1:22 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 4th Jul 17, 1:22 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 1:22 AM
    supply evidence that I no longer had a tv at the address in question
    You can have a TV ; you only need a licence to, watch broadcast TV. A person can possess smoking materials in an enclosed building, or carry a mobile phone in a car ; the offence is the using.

Did you actually dispose of your TV, or did it break ?
    Many people stop watching TV, but many more stop paying for the licence ; so they are naturally sceptical. Could you ask them if a TV licence is now required for possession, or ask them what evidence would suffice ?
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 4th Jul 17, 1:39 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    jessex1990
    • 4th Jul 17, 1:39 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 1:39 AM
    What Geoff said.

You don't need a TV license for netflix, Amazon and other streaming services or catchup TV (except IPLAYER). As long as you don't watch live television broadcasts. The only evidence I can think of is to invite them over to see that you have no aerial, satellite or virgin tv connected to your television.
    • nyermen
    • By nyermen 4th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    nyermen
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    Remember you still need a tv license for any "live streamed" material.
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/Live-TV-and-how-you-watch-it

Always wondered if this includes a friend doing a live stream to facebook.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
    • Trentenders
    • By Trentenders 4th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    Trentenders
    • 4th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    Send them a photo of you sitting in an armchair facing an empty corner of your living room
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 9,271 Posts
    • 8,769 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    On what legal basis is this contemptible organization demanding "evidence"?
    As far as I can tell, there is no legal basis for it. The closest they come to justifying it is that the BBC is authorised to set the Terms and Conditions for the Licence, and presumably the requirement to provide evidence in support of cancellation has been quietly added to the Ts & Cs. It would be interesting to know for sure.

Anecdotally, I had always heard that giving up TV was the one reason where they did not require evidence - because there was no evidence that could be reasonably be given. If that is no longer the case, then again it would be interesting to know.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 9,271 Posts
    • 8,769 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    Remember you still need a tv license for any "live streamed" material.
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/Live-TV-and-how-you-watch-it

Always wondered if this includes a friend doing a live stream to facebook.
    Originally posted by nyermen
    This is not quite true, and BBC-TVL are known for their ham-fisted efforts with the English language.

The requirement is to hold a Licence to view TV Broadcasts via Terrestrial, Satellite and Cable TV and their internet-streamed equivalents. Or in other words: linear TV channels as they are screened and streamed to the Nation. You also need a Licence to use BBC iPlayer.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 8th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    tenchy
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    Thank you for your replies. Looking again at the TV Licensing website, it seems clear to me that if you decide that watching tv is no longer for you, the maximum refund you're going to get is three months. The so-called evidence they require is all about moving out of the premises.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    • 9,271 Posts
    • 8,769 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Thank you for your replies. Looking again at the TV Licensing website, it seems clear to me that if you decide that watching tv is no longer for you, the maximum refund you're going to get is three months. The so-called evidence they require is all about moving out of the premises.
    I think it's the other way around: going legally Licence-free is the only reason you can give that doesn't require any evidence for a refund of any duration. I would suggest giving that reason rather than "moving", "going abroad", etc. It is not an offence to lie to them.

There is no basis in law for them to refuse a refund - they are just fiddling around the edges with these demands for evidence.

• Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 15th Jul 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    TV detector man at a property : "Can I see your TV licence ?"
    Occupant ( handing over a piece of paper ) : "There you go"
    TV detector man : "But this is a black and white copy of last year's"
    Occupant : "So are your programmes"
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 15th Jul 17, 11:01 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 2,116 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    TV detector man at a property : "Can I see your TV licence ?"
    Occupant (Me)
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    What a stupid question. Goodbye.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 15th Jul 17, 11:38 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    What a stupid question. Goodbye.
    The art of the clever insult mustn't be allowed to die out.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 16th Jul 17, 12:50 AM
    • 9,271 Posts
    • 8,769 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    TVL's performance target is 36 visits per day - they don't time for pleasantries.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,614Posts Today

6,852Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin