Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melbury
    • By melbury 3rd Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 9,556Posts
    • 14,094Thanks
    melbury
    Vaccinations for dogs
    • 3rd Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    Vaccinations for dogs 3rd Jul 17 at 9:00 PM
    Just wondered which ones people go for?

Have to take puppy back for second lot on Weds and can't make my mind up about a certain one
    Last edited by melbury; 03-07-2017 at 9:06 PM.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

Page 1
    • harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 4th Jul 17, 7:15 AM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 2,916 Thanks
    harrys nan
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:15 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:15 AM
    Which one are you are unsure of?
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
    • melbury
    • By melbury 4th Jul 17, 8:58 PM
    • 9,556 Posts
    • 14,094 Thanks
    melbury
    • 4th Jul 17, 8:58 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 8:58 PM
    Which one are you are unsure of?
    Originally posted by harrys nan
    The Lepto 4 vaccine. Seems to have caused a lot of controversy

• harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 9th Jul 17, 10:14 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 2,916 Thanks
    harrys nan
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:14 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:14 PM
    Sorry, I haven't been on here for a few days.
    I cannot help you with this, have you spoken to your vet for advice?
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
    • LusciousLuce
    • By LusciousLuce 10th Jul 17, 8:28 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    LusciousLuce
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:28 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:28 AM
    There is a lot of talk about the lepto 4 vaccine, most of it scaremongering. From what I've looked at, there is no evidence of increased serious vaccine reactions compared to the previous vaccine.

However, when we introduced it at our practice (I left 7 months ago) we saw a lot more localised reactions - lumps at the injection site. They always resolved within a couple of weeks, and presented no harm to the dog, but the increase definitely was significant.

The vaccine manufacturers tell us that the additional strains of lepto that this vaccine is against will start to become a problem in the U.K. I've not looked into that so I don't know if it will or if its drug company propaganda. But that's what you need to decide on - the risk of the additional lepto strains balanced against the increased risk of vaccine reaction (I emphasise again, I have not seen any evidence of serious fatal or life-threatening reactions increasing). I don't have a dog but I think I'd probably go with the vaccine.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 11th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    • 9,556 Posts
    • 14,094 Thanks
    melbury
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    There is a lot of talk about the lepto 4 vaccine, most of it scaremongering. From what I've looked at, there is no evidence of increased serious vaccine reactions compared to the previous vaccine.

However, when we introduced it at our practice (I left 7 months ago) we saw a lot more localised reactions - lumps at the injection site. They always resolved within a couple of weeks, and presented no harm to the dog, but the increase definitely was significant.

The vaccine manufacturers tell us that the additional strains of lepto that this vaccine is against will start to become a problem in the U.K. I've not looked into that so I don't know if it will or if its drug company propaganda. But that's what you need to decide on - the risk of the additional lepto strains balanced against the increased risk of vaccine reaction (I emphasise again, I have not seen any evidence of serious fatal or life-threatening reactions increasing). I don't have a dog but I think I'd probably go with the vaccine.
    Originally posted by LusciousLuce
    I agree that it does cover 4 strains rather than 2, but on reading about Lepto there are a couple of hundred different strains of it

I have always gone along with the vet's recommendations in the past and my previous two dogs had all of the vaccines. One died at 7 years old and the last one at 10 years old. The vaccines may not have had anything to do with either death, but they certainly did not prolong my dogs lives, so I have gone for the "core" vaccines but not the add ons.
    Last edited by melbury; 11-07-2017 at 9:38 AM.

• elsien
    • By elsien 12th Jul 17, 12:26 AM
    • 14,782 Posts
    • 36,784 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:26 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:26 AM
    Never had a dog from a pup but have given full vaccines to both adult rescues all their lives. Both lived to 15.
    Which is anecdotal, statistically insignificant and impossible to generalise from in any meaningful way, as is the fact that your dogs died younger.

I know some people have issues with certain vaccines but I have neither the time or inclination to wade through and separate fact from speculation. So I go with the vet's recommendation on the grounds they have more knowledge than me in the area and I have no serious cause for concern which will make me reconsider at the moment.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,942Posts Today

8,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin