Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gc28
    • By gc28 3rd Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    gc28
    Not Enough Credit For A Power Meter
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    Not Enough Credit For A Power Meter 3rd Jul 17 at 6:18 PM
    Hi All 👋🏻

I've just moved into my first home (Mortgaged) and come to find the last owner had pre-payment/top up gas and electricity meters.

British Gas have just run a credit check on me to see if I'm ok to have standard a credit meter installed, I'm not.

Just checked my Experian rating which shows they don't have enough info on me to check my score.

I have used noodle mostly to check my score which I thought was ok?

Score:628

So what do I do in order to get a credit meter, I could apply for a credit card via my bank as my registered address is still my parents home.

My guess as to why i'm being turned down is most likely that I've not had a credit card for a while, It really makes no sense that I am able to have a mortgage but not a standard power meter!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 3rd Jul 17, 6:29 PM
    • 14,046 Posts
    • 14,738 Thanks
    zx81
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:29 PM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:29 PM
    They're not checking your score. They're checking your credit files and especially identity.

What do all three of your credit files actually show?
    • gc28
    • By gc28 3rd Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gc28
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    I've just checked experian and it's come back with the below:

"We need to do further checks
    Thank you for your application, we just need to do some further checks to confirm your identity. This helps to ensure the security of your personal information.
    These checks will usually be complete within 5 working days, so please come back to review the outcome of your application."

Suppose I'll keep you updated.
    • gc28
    • By gc28 3rd Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gc28
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    They're not checking your score. They're checking your credit files and especially identity.

What do all three of your credit files actually show?
    Originally posted by zx81
    Sorry to sound ignorant but can you expand on all three of my credit files?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 3rd Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    • 14,046 Posts
    • 14,738 Thanks
    zx81
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    Experian
    Equifax (Clearscore)
    Call Credit (Noddle)
    • gc28
    • By gc28 3rd Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gc28
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    Experian
    Equifax (Clearscore)
    Call Credit (Noddle)
    Noodle is 628 with 5/5 credit score
    Experian I shall let you know when that comes back.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 3rd Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    • 14,046 Posts
    • 14,738 Thanks
    zx81
    • 3rd Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    Ignore the scores. They're meaningless.

Look at the data only.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 3rd Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 30,268 Posts
    • 19,148 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 3rd Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    In the financial account info what does it list under Credit cards, other accounts ?

Gives a balance for each 1 and the status for each entry.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 3rd Jul 17, 8:02 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    datlex
    • 3rd Jul 17, 8:02 PM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 8:02 PM
    OP contact the complaints department of BG (I did this after the first person would not let me change took a week to sort) or try someone else.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 3rd Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    • 26,030 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Noodle is 628 with 5/5 credit score
    Experian I shall let you know when that comes back.
    Originally posted by gc28
    You seem obsessed with the score which only you and the credit company see.

Nobody else will see that number. They want to know that your who you say you are and that you do not have a long list of unpaid bills.

Seems that you have just moved and your identity is in question, were you on the electoral roll in your previous property? And registered somewhere for the last 6 years?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 3rd Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    RG2015
    Experian
    Equifax (Clearscore)
    Call Credit (Noddle)
    You can also get your full Experian report free every month if you use the MSE Credit Club.
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 3rd Jul 17, 10:27 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    jessex1990
    Hi All ����

So what do I do in order to get a credit meter, I could apply for a credit card via my bank as my registered address is still my parents home.
    Originally posted by gc28

Your address is being flagged up as wrong on your credit report if your bank account still shows your parents address. That is potentially the problem. Do you have any credit at the same address as you want to install this credit meter? They don't want to install a credit account at a property which may not be yours afterall! Btw once your credit report has your current address it will show up how much your property was bought for.

Change your bank, credit card addresses etc... and this might help be able to get a credit meter once your CR updates.
    Last edited by jessex1990; 03-07-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 3rd Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    tenchy
    Your address is being flagged up as wrong on your credit report if your bank account still shows your parents address. That is potentially the problem. Do you have any credit at the same address as you want to install this credit meter? They don't want to install a credit account at a property which may not be yours afterall! Btw once your credit report has your current address it will show up how much your property was bought for.

Change your bank, credit card addresses etc... and this might help be able to get a credit meter once your CR updates.
    Originally posted by jessex1990

"Btw once your credit report has your current address it will show up how much your property was bought for". But why would BG be interested in that. I do not see any point in this at all.
    • gc28
    • By gc28 9th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gc28
    You seem obsessed with the score which only you and the credit company see.

Nobody else will see that number. They want to know that your who you say you are and that you do not have a long list of unpaid bills.

Bills: I have a never missed payments for contracts etc.

Seems that you have just moved and your identity is in question, were you on the electoral roll in your previous property? And registered somewhere for the last 6 years?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Since moving In I have gotten around to registering on the electoral role in my new location as I was registered elsewhere previously.

Hopefully this helps in getting me switched over.
    • gc28
    • By gc28 9th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gc28

Originally posted by jessex1990
    Hey, thanks for this advice, I got around to changing my registered bank address this weekend, this change was instant, the question now is how long do I wait to apply for another credit check I obviously don’t want to affect it in a negative way by doing this so soon.

I find it funny that I just bought a house, I’d think once they saw this there would be no issue with switching to a credit meter.
    Last edited by gc28; 09-07-2017 at 9:46 PM.
    • solentsusie
    • By solentsusie 13th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    solentsusie
    You can check all of your credit reports here:

https://www.noddle.co.uk/ (Callcredit)
    https://www.clearscore.com (Equifax)
    www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub (Experian)

Also, when I moved house NPower, who had prepayment meters in the house wouldn't change me to a monthly contract so I went elsewhere, no problems.

You should also check which gas/electricity suppliers are going to give you the best deal rather than just going with the one that was in the house when you moved in. Try uswitch.com or one of the other comparison websites.

I hope you're happy in your new home.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

2,400Users online

Martin's Twitter