Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dqj
    • By dqj 3rd Jul 17, 3:45 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 4Thanks
    dqj
    Simple way to avoid 98% of cold callers
    • 3rd Jul 17, 3:45 PM
    Simple way to avoid 98% of cold callers 3rd Jul 17 at 3:45 PM
    Despite being on Telephone Preference Service we get several telephone calls a day from illegal marketing organisations, but I've found this easy way to get rid of them.

Most of these calls are generating by automated call makers that dial a number, wait for the phone to be answered and then check that there is someone talking on the receiving end. If the software does not detect anyone talking it silently terminates the call after about 6 seconds.

When you pick up the phone all you have to do is to say absolutely nothing and wait for 6 seconds. If there is a real person, friend relative etc on the other end they are bound to say "Hello - are you there?" otherwise there is a click and hey presto - no more junk call!

I have a Calling Line Identity display, and I always do this whenever I get "International Caller" or "Number Withheld", but regardless of this you will find that you won't miss any calls from people using a normal phone who ring you directly.

Derek
Page 2
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 5th Jul 17, 3:43 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    gonebust
    I just unplugged the landline. The only calls we ever got on it were cold callers.

If I get cold called on my mobile I don't answer and just add the number to my block list
    • Gambler101
    • By Gambler101 5th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    Gambler101
    I just let the answerphone take all calls, if its a friend or family they know I do this and as soon as they start speaking I pick up, if its a cold caller they ALWAYS ring off.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 5th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    I just let the answerphone take all calls, if its a friend or family they know I do this and as soon as they start speaking I pick up, if its a cold caller they ALWAYS ring off.
    Originally posted by Gambler101

It's not just me that does this then!

I made the mistake a couple of years ago of picking up a cold call (I was expecting someone else). As expected I was plagued with more calls for the next couple of weeks until they got bored. I assume that once a number has been recognised as "live" it becomes a commodity to be purchased by other scammers.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    • 25,714 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I was getting tons of dodgy calls from all over the world. Bough ta £25 call blocker (the small white one sold under several names) and instant silence.

Blocked withheld numbers and unknown numbers and international numbers and it also allows 1000+ unique numbers to be blocked.

When some dodgy telecoms company up north sold off a load of numbers to overseas scammers i just added the entire area code to the blocked list.

I get the very very rare odd call , but i just say, hang on can you hear this... CLICK and blocked.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 7th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    The BT8600 takes a bit of setting up ie inputting all your numbers but in the 4 months I've used it not a single silent/nuisance call has got through and it used to be about 2 or 3 a day
    Originally posted by gardner1
    Try the lazy way. You just wait for people to phone you and then periodically check your calls. There is an option to Block, Delete or ADD to address book. Of course you have to have caller ID.
    • Pjsmith76
    • By Pjsmith76 9th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pjsmith76
    As most my cold calls are ambulance chasers I just ask them to confirm the date of my accident.
    But hell just asking them to spell the name of their employer and then the address gets them to hang up fast.
    (Did have one that demanded the date of the accident who got hung up on)

I tend to get a cluster of half a dozen every few weeks.

Only one that got past was on the local dial code (also used by my then insurance company)
    • ka7e
    • By ka7e 9th Jul 17, 10:48 PM
    • 2,329 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    ka7e
    I have assignable ringtones on my phone - my Mum has "Ode to Joy as her ringtone (her name is Joy), family members have "Ride of the Valkyries" and everyone else on my friends list has Pachelbel's "Canon". If it rings like a normal phone, it's left to go to answerphone. Genuine callers leave a message, cold callers hang up!
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 9th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    • 8,547 Posts
    • 13,025 Thanks
    worried jim
    You shouldn't have to do anything to avoid 100% of cold callers - The phone companies/telecom providers could end this at a stroke if they really wanted.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    I ended it at a stroke by getting rid of my phone line. Save £18 a month and peace and quiet- should have done it years ago. Bliss.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Pmarmalade
    • By Pmarmalade 10th Jul 17, 8:02 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Pmarmalade
    You shouldn't have to do anything to avoid 100% of cold callers - The phone companies/telecom providers could end this at a stroke if they really wanted.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    It's difficult to say what's legit and what isn't though, and who are providers to say another business isn't legitimate? They do marketing calls also, after all. But if a company is reported enough times, something should be done.

As others, for my mobile I use an app that blocks spam calls. My house phone sits on silent and is never answered.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

1,610Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin