Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Don80
    • By Don80 3rd Jul 17, 3:11 PM
    • 202Posts
    • 81Thanks
    Don80
    Halifax 125 - how long to keep account?
    • 3rd Jul 17, 3:11 PM
    Halifax 125 - how long to keep account? 3rd Jul 17 at 3:11 PM
    I've just switched an RBS account to Halifax for the 125. I have a friend with a Nationwide account and am tempted to switch the Halifax one to that as that would get 100.

Is there a time limit before you can switch? I don't see anything in the Halifax T&Cs. It looks like you could just switch the account out a month later! Is that right?
Page 1
    • castle96
    • By castle96 3rd Jul 17, 4:19 PM
    • 1,609 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    castle96
    • 3rd Jul 17, 4:19 PM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 4:19 PM
    in/out, in/out, shake it all abaht. No time limit.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 3rd Jul 17, 4:31 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 867 Thanks
    20aday
    • 3rd Jul 17, 4:31 PM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 4:31 PM
    I switched from NatWest to Halifax in late 2015 and closed my account four weeks later in 2016 and wasn't asked to hand the switching incentive back.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • Don80
    • By Don80 10th Jul 17, 2:12 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Don80
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:12 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:12 PM
    The switch to Halifax completes tomorrow, I've got the switching bonus. Are any other banks that fast to pay out? Just wondering before I do the Halifax to Nationwide switch (and hoping Halifax have nothing buried in the T&Cs about keeping the account! I'm sure you guys are right, I see nothing having read them.). I need to set up 2 DDs on Halifax anyway and I don't have another account to switch - I want to keep my Bank of Scotland and TSB accounts where they are as I'm happy with them for the long run.

*** This feels very naughty lol ***
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    • 5,816 Posts
    • 5,707 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    If you do switch to Nationwide and consider further switches then bear in mind that they do have a clawback clause for early closers in their Ts & Cs, as covered in another recent 'how long to keep switched accounts open' thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5675456
    • Don80
    • By Don80 10th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Don80
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    If you do switch to Nationwide and consider further switches then bear in mind that they do have a clawback clause for early closers in their Ts & Cs, as covered in another recent 'how long to keep switched accounts open' thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5675456
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Yes, I'd seen that. That's partly why I was asking as I'd be tied in there for a few months. If other banks pay out as quickly and don't have early closure clauses I could move via them.

I wouldn't meet the 1750 HSBC pay in, and I'm not interested in M&S vouchers. That means First Direct and Nationwide based on the MSE list.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#bonus
    Last edited by Don80; 10-07-2017 at 2:44 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,018Posts Today

7,369Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks

• Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• Follow Martin