Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lipstick99
    • By Lipstick99 3rd Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 131Posts
    • 179Thanks
    Lipstick99
    Harveys Furniture - big let down
    • 3rd Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    Harveys Furniture - big let down 3rd Jul 17 at 2:07 PM
    Harveys Furniture - ordered in store, paid cash in full (yes I know, but it was my Mum who ordered).

Table and 4 chairs and a sideboard.

Didn't arrive on booked date, re-arranged, complained got £25 refund. However, the delivery men were so quick, it wasn't un til after they left, that a major colour differences in all pieces became obvious. Phoned, arranged inspection from their independent inspector who came on Friday. He agreed the batches were all different and the quality was unacceptable. However, he has submitted a "no fault" report to the company.

I've boked a second inspection. They have agreed. Looks like my Mum is going to be stuck with odd furniture.

It's so frustrating that people lie.

Does anyone have the Chief Exec contact details, as all trust in the Company and their sub contractors is gone.

If this report goes in as no fault, she will end up selling the furniture!
    04.06.12 no debt
    Now house deposit saving £24,000 and rising thanks to 2x Barclays PPI successes
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 3rd Jul 17, 2:50 PM
    • 18,652 Posts
    • 15,554 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 3rd Jul 17, 2:50 PM
    • 3rd Jul 17, 2:50 PM
    Harveys Furniture - ordered in store, paid cash in full (yes I know, but it was my Mum who ordered).

Table and 4 chairs and a sideboard.

Didn't arrive on booked date, re-arranged, complained got £25 refund. However, the delivery men were so quick, it wasn't un til after they left, that a major colour differences in all pieces became obvious. Phoned, arranged inspection from their independent inspector who came on Friday. He agreed the batches were all different and the quality was unacceptable. However, he has submitted a "no fault" report to the company.

I've boked a second inspection. They have agreed. Looks like my Mum is going to be stuck with odd furniture.

It's so frustrating that people lie.

Does anyone have the Chief Exec contact details, as all trust in the Company and their sub contractors is gone.

If this report goes in as no fault, she will end up selling the furniture!
    Originally posted by Lipstick99
    When were the goods delivered?
    If within the last thirty days, and the next inspection doesn't produce the right result, get your mother send a letter stating that she is rejecting the goods because they do not conform to contract and expects a full refund.

Of course if she does that she should stop using the stuff immediately.
    • The-Truth
    • By The-Truth 4th Jul 17, 4:14 AM
    • 470 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    The-Truth
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:14 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 4:14 AM
    Does anyone have the Chief Exec contact details
    Originally posted by Lipstick99
    Why not use the small claims court?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 4th Jul 17, 11:10 AM
    • 15,624 Posts
    • 11,420 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 4th Jul 17, 11:10 AM
    • 4th Jul 17, 11:10 AM
    https://www.thefurnitureombudsman.org/membership/our-retail-members/#members_anchor
    • MissSB
    • By MissSB 4th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MissSB
    • 4th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    This company is an absolute joke for its complaints procedure. I would get legal advice and get some templates to send letters to them. Your goods are not as described under the Consumer Rights Act. If its within 30 days you can reject the item. Harvey's may try and take 20% off for a cancellation as per their 't&cs' but the Consumer rights act takes precedence over their t&cs.

I would suggest phoning Citizens Advice or signing up for Which Legal advice.

I went through furniture ombudsman with Harveys, and didnt get anywhere (different situation to yourself) but I have now filed a dispute with my bank to try and reclaim money from them if not legal action will be taken. Make sure you get all your legal evidence before complaining to them as they will try and fob you off.

Hope you get it sorted
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 8th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    Your mother should send a letter stating that she rejects the goods because they are not compliant with the contract. Include pictures of the goods that show their faults. In the letter there should also be a demand of full repayment.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 8th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    • 18,652 Posts
    • 15,554 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    Your mother should send a letter stating that she rejects the goods because they are not compliant with the contract. Include pictures of the goods that show their faults. In the letter there should also be a demand of full repayment.
    Originally posted by MrJones1
    The OP has already booked an inspection. Should she let that take place?
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 8th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    It's a good question. With regard to the first inspection, where the inspector confirmed that there were faults but yet submitted a "no fault" report, what says that this inspection will be correct. Will the OP need a third or fourth inspection? Hope you understand my point.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 8th Jul 17, 8:16 PM
    • 18,652 Posts
    • 15,554 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:16 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:16 PM
    It's a good question. With regard to the first inspection, where the inspector confirmed that there were faults but yet submitted a "no fault" report, what says that this inspection will be correct. Will the OP need a third or fourth inspection? Hope you understand my point.
    Originally posted by MrJones1
    I do understand you point.

My point is the OP has already accepted the offer of a second inspection.

If she were now to 'send a letter stating that she rejects the goods' that would be out of place.

Perhaps you are suggesting she should send a letter saying that she has now changed her mind and stating that she rejects the goods?

As I suggested earlier, I believe the booked inspection should go ahead, but I would add to my earlier post and say
    • if during the next inspection the inspector agrees that the goods do not conform to contract, the OP should insist that the inspector puts that in writing before leaving the OP's home, and passes a copy to the OP at that time.
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 8th Jul 17, 8:34 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    Your point is valid. Perhaps I should have read more carefully. As the OP has accepted the offer of a second inspection, it should go ahead. However, the OP should as you have advised, insist that the inspector puts in writing that the goods don't conform to the contract, before leaving OP's home.
    • Lipstick99
    • By Lipstick99 20th Jul 17, 2:44 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Lipstick99
    The second inspection took place with Serviceco.(sp)

They did not do the first one.

The guy agreed that the furniture is mismatched, took photos and took photo of leaflet. The sideboard has different knobs on.

The guy agreed it is of poor quality and used a card system to complete his report.

Waited 11 days and no contact from them - they allege that they called and couldn't leave a voicemail but there are no missed calls on the mobile.
    After 90 mins of haggling, and them offering various vouchers, part replacements, stood firm and they have agreed to a full refund and will collect the goods.

The complication is that the store has to collect, and that has to be arranged with customer services.

So watch this space. It was the Brookes range - avoid as its all different colours of oak/oakveneer.
    04.06.12 no debt
    • Lipstick99
    • By Lipstick99 8th Sep 17, 11:58 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Lipstick99
    Update:

After several more hassling phone calls and waiting, the full refund cheque has finally arrived.

Will never use Harveys again.

No looking for dining room furniture from somewhere that has items in stock and delivery is ASAP!
    04.06.12 no debt
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

2,684Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin